Discouraged Because I Can No Longer Read

tjanzing

I struggle to read and I've always loved to read. It's hard to hold a book because my hands go numb and because of the dizziness I have trouble concentrating for very long. I do much better at the computer because I don't need to hold the book and can make the print bigger. I really miss reading..do any of you have suggestions that could help or do you struggle too?

Tessie,

There are a lot of good books out there in large print, and of course sites like Amazon have books you can read online, where you could make the font larger. I know I couldn't make it without reading! I'm sure there's an answer out there for you, lots of people have to deal with the same problem you're having.

Good luck!

I second checking out the Kindle, or something similar. I believe you can change font size as needed, and that there's a lot less eye strain than reading on a computer.

I struggle to read and I've always loved to read. It's hard to hold a book because my hands go numb and because of the dizziness I have trouble concentrating for very long. I do much better at the computer because I don't need to hold the book and can make the print bigger. I really miss reading..do any of you have suggestions that could help or do you struggle too?

Have you tried reading while laying down? That could help you get blood to your brain. It worked for me.

I also went through a transient period where my reading comprehension was exceptionally poor.

I am with everyone else and would suggest e-books. You can download them and make the font as big or small as you want. I go throught phases where I can't read either. I usually can read a few pages or chapters and then I am done. Certain fonts also make it worse so you may want to see if you can change fonts. They also have page magnifiers you can buy at Barnes & Noble to make the font bigger and give you a light while you do it. I usually can read while sitting up in bed propped on pillows. Just do what you can and don't worry about what you can't. I understand how you feel though. I am an avid reader and wouldn't know how to cope without my books. Best of luck to you.

I find reading really hard work. I have dyslexia so have always had to put extra effort into reading but I used to manage to compensate and got top grades at school. I now find that my concentration isn't good enough to read for pleasure. I can manage reading things like the forum because it is small chunks of text, but the thought of a whole chapter in a book is just too much.

I enjoy audiobooks. I have bought some audio CDs, borrow CDs from my local library and have recently joined Audible an online club where you subscribe and download a book each month. I am currently really enjoying listening to Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". The Harry Potter books (and anything else) read by Stephen Fry are big favourites.

Flop