Have You Tried Zoloft?

MamaTrain

Hi! I was seriously considering taking the Zoloft that my doctor suggested several months ago. As always, I'm very scared of taking new meds....especially ones that change your brain chemistry! If you have taken Zoloft please tell me your experiences. I want to feel like the "risk" is worth it if you know what I mean!

Thanks!

KC

Hi! I was seriously considering taking the Zoloft that my doctor suggested several months ago. As always, I'm very scared of taking new meds....especially ones that change your brain chemistry! If you have taken Zoloft please tell me your experiences. I want to feel like the "risk" is worth it if you know what I mean!

Thanks!

KC

My son took Zoloft for 5 months. It didn't hurt or help him. He had no side effects, but none of his symptoms got better either.

Hi KC,

Both Paxil and Zoloft (along with Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa) are SSRI's. All of these drugs work essentially the same way and treat the same things (depression, anxiety, social anxiety, OCD, etc) and have similar side effects. Because they each contain varying other chemical components, one SSRI may make you feel better than another. I tried Zoloft and Prozac, but Paxil is the one that does me the most good with the least side effects. Unfortunately, you won't know which one is right for you until you give one a try - and try it for 3-4 weeks. Hopefully the Zoloft will work for you the first time out. They can really help you feel better!

Cheers,

Jana

PS....For more info, type in the drug name and look it up on wedmd.com, rxlist.com, or drugs.com(?) The Internet has tons o' info about these drugs. They even have rating systems for people to respond to so you can see what side effects were caused the most (out of people responding) and other good info.

Thanks Jana! I know the internet has alot of info but only you guys have the info I want to know! LOL! When it was first suggest for me to take the SSRI it was hard to take as I did not feel depressed or even anxious. I would say now I am feeling so worn down from feeling so crappy the majority of the time that it really is starting to wear on me. I think I want to wait til the holidays are over so I can at least enjoy them just in case it doesnt work so well with me. Thanks again for your input and I will look more into what the differences are!

Happy Sunday!

KC

Hi,

I tried Zoloft and was extremely more depressed on it (dangerously)

I tried Lexapro was very Numb and very happy???

Haven't had much luck with the emotional aspect of what these meds are suppose to do ...but on Lexapro physically felt better but that was years ago and haven't tried it again since condition became worse. might try it again.

Lissy

I took Zoloft for a few years and just recently started it again.

I know it worked b/c at the time I started taking it I was a self-injurer and those impulses (mostly) went away when I was on it and I was much less depressed and more hopeful. The anti-depressive effects wore off after a while, but every time I tried to stop taking it the self injury compulsions came back so I stayed on it.

Recently I was taken off Zoloft and put on Effexor, but my most recent doc wants me back on the Zoloft for now. So I'm waiting to see. I'm depressed as **** and don't feel any calmer, but it has only been a couple of weeks.

So while my experience on it might be mixed, I can't say anything 'bad' resulted from it.

I've taken Zoloft for 15 years, long before I knew I had POTS, and I've never had any problems... I started with Prozac and had AWFUL side effects, so changed to Zoloft and only notice that my depression got better. Some are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and some also affect norepinephrine reuptake as well, like Wellbutrin. Have to find what works for you.

Hello,

I tried Zoloft recently but it didn't work well for me. I think it's wise to start on a tiny dose. Whenever I try a new SSRI I cut mine in 3rd's or 4th's (whatever works with the pill)....amazingly I often still react poorly but thankfully it's not nearly as bad with a full amount of medicine. I've found great help from Paxil but it does take me about 2 months to SLOWLY titrate up to a full dose (i get some dizziness that eventually goes away).

I know it's extremely hard but once you find the right SSRI for you they really can help. Everyone is so different and I've heard that Zoloft definitely helps some!

Let us know how things go if you try it.

Blessings,

Lisa

Whenever I try a new SSRI I cut mine in 3rd's or 4th's (whatever works with the pill)....amazingly I often still react poorly but thankfully it's not nearly as bad with a full amount of medicine. I've found great help from Paxil but it does take me about 2 months to SLOWLY titrate up to a full dose (i get some dizziness that eventually goes away).

I have a script for a 25mg pill which I would cut in half when I start. I think I've decided to wait til the holdiays are over and then give 'er a shot! Thanks for all your input!

KC

You know I was just thinking that in the summer of 2007 I tried Effexor for what I thought was high anxiety over some situations going on in our life. From what I understand Effexor is the serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake. I had to be taken off of it because I kept waking up in the middle of the night with a racing heart, I had facial twitches and I was constantly feeling like I was on edge. My doc said that's not right and we weaned off. I wonder if even then I had too much norepi and not enough serotonin. I think I do not need my norepi enhanced for sure! That was before I became all dysauto'ed. Just some thoughts!