Holiday Gifts For Great Doctors

summer

Give him/her excellent reviews on the patient-review websites and send him a personal letter of thanks. Unfortunately, doctors don't get many pats on the back for a job well done, so they are appreciated when they come. You could always ask one of the office staff what his/her hobbies are, they are often quite chatty and you can get tons of info about the doc from them. Just don't stalk them! ;)

How about a POTS documentary DVD from DINET? DINET T-shirt? ;)

Gift cards are nice too--dunkin donuts, star bucks, etc. Last year, someone gave me a really nice mug and with godiva hot cocoa. Travel mug that keep beverages warm or cold works well too since docs often have short bursts of time to grab a bit or a sip.

On one of our visits to Baltimore to see Dr. Rowe, Mack & I were able to determine the "hot" new restaurant (for locals- not tourists!) by talking to as many natives as we could. We actually had to take a boat to get there, but we got a gift certificate for he and his wife to enjoy a fun gourmet night out.

Other years, I send gift cards to Blockbuster, Lowe's, or even an American Express gift card that can be used anywhere. I've also sent a check to be used for research. NEVER send a check to the doctor personally....I think rules prohibit them from accepting a check (that's been our experience.)

Dr. Rowe has managed (via E-Mail) Mack's care for years & because he rarely sees Mack in person, he doesn't get paid anything. We are deeply grateful and always remember him at Christmas.

I LOVE to hear everyone's ideas. Great thread.

Last year I gave out large red velvet hearts with the most beautiful gold embroidery design on them. Then I design a heart card with a quote about the heart. I make most of my cards as I'm an artist when I get a chance to draw. out the summer I bring in bouquets of flower from my garden, I also donate books that I have read and think they would like about my illness or related illnesses.

bellamia~

Guest tearose

After seeing how many boxes of candy the doc gets and learning that often they are not allowed to eat our home baked goods, I needed to come up with another idea. Now, when I can afford it I send a donation to Mayo Clinic in "honor" of my doctor and they send him a note card telling him.

We give our good doctors some baked goods. My husband is a great baker so he will bake some brownies or cookies. My doctor was very thrilled and said that was the first time that any patient had given her anything from Christmas. Just the fact that you are thinking of them and getting them something will surely be enough. Trust me, they will be grateful for whatever!

Still it's very sweet of you. Merry Christmas!

i've done different things for different docs over the years. as others have mentioned it truly is the thought that counts......far more than the technical "value"/ "worth" of said gift, etc. the best gifts actually tend to be those that are a bit more creative, thoughtful, personal, uniquely meaningful, etc. this doesn't preclude something pricey but certainly doesn't necessitate it either. i guarantee that some of the most meaningful gifts i've given have been on the low (very low!) end of the price spectrum.

some great ideas have already been mentioned but i'll add some other that i have given in the past or which are on my list to give in the future (or when my finances allow!) there are few docs, nurses, etc. that merit true gift-giving in my life but for those that do i tend to really think about what i'm giving. for me different docs, nurses, etc. get different gifts, or at least different variations on a theme, b/c i'm big on gifts being personal not only on my side of the coin but for the recipient as well.

last but not least, while the thought/ intent of the gift-giving (doctor/ nurse or otherwise) is most important i'm also pretty opposed to giving a gift just for the sake of giving something to the extent that the cycle of buying, making, giving, receiving, trashing &/or accumulating things that few if any would actually use continues on & on & on & on...no matter how well-meaning one's intent. so while it's certainly not something that should be a stressor - financially, mentally/ emotionally, physically, socially, etc. - i do think we are all benefited by putting SOME thought into what we choose to give (purchase, make, etc.).

#1. a few years ago i gave all the docs & nurses that were an integral part of my care team (and literal survival) hand-made bookmarks and on the whole they received probably the best marks, reactions, etc. of anything i've ever gifted. the style of bookmark was/ is a "book thong" - something that i included for humor in the card/ note accompanying most of the gifts - and is a fancied-up version of a string with various beads & charms on either end (so that the string sits between the pages of a book & the beads/ charms stick out either end as mini-weights.) these can be made with a wide range of materials, workmanship, etc. but even using high quality beading/ jeweler materials, etc. they are quite affordable. for most of my docs/ nurses i included a sterling silver stethoscope charm on one end and a silver "thank you" charm on the other and then included a wide range of other beads, charms, colors, themes depending on the individual. if anyone is interested in additional info re: how to make these, where to get medical-themed charms, etc. i'm happy to help). these were definitely well-received by a wide-variety individuals (medical personnel & otherwise) - and years later they are still being used (and have even been asked to make more for one doctor to then give as gifts himself) - with a certain amount of forethought but not too much cost, time, energy, etc. such that i feel quite confident placing them top on my list of generally good/ safe gifting.

#2. if you're a quality knitter/ crocheter certain hand-made items in this realm can be great and can run the gamut of cost, time spent, style, etc. felting said knitting or crochet can produce some really great coasters and of course a million other things though unless you have a doc/ nurse that you've known long-term & REALLY know them on a personal level i wouldn't venture into anything that requires fitting, i.e. a sweater:-). i just finished knitting personalized christmas stockings for one of my nurses (for her 3 kids...at her request after she saw one i'd made for a cousin) and am currently working on socks for one of my long-time docs who has commented on ones she's seen me wearing (that i've made) but she knows i'm making them, approved the yarn & style, gave me measurements, etc. larger &/or more personal projects rarely work well as surprises (aka awkward moments for all involved) but if you do know what you're doing with a hook or needle(s) or the like and have a doc that might really like a quality homemade item with some input to color, style, etc you could always give them a sort of voucher/ coupon/ I.O.U. for said item &/or outright ask him/ her what sort of thing s/he might really like, use, etc. (with some direction re: what your realistic capabilities actually are). similar ideas/ approach could of course be applied to other skilled handicraft, i.e. sewing, quilting, needlepoint, etc..)

#3. i have made - as well as repaired - beaded jewelry for one of my long-term docs over the years. various patients give her pieces that often fall into disrepair, aren't well-made to begin with (not by way of being overly critical but by way of them not staying together), contain something that gives her a rash, etc. and then she always has something on her "i wish someone would make me something sort of like___________" from some picture she's seen, etc. she knows i do jewelry-making so as long as she's okay with my inability to reliably keep any sort of schedule health-wise (which, as my primary care doc, she is more than well aware of) i openly offer to help her with her repairs, special requests, etc.

i have also made pieces for a few other nurses/ doctors as unanticipated gifts, though only if/ when i have some definitive knowledge of what they do/ don't like, will/ won't actually wear, etc. for instance after one doctor commented on how much she loved a bracelet of mine on two separate occasions & joked she might abscond with it when it was off of my wrist during testing it was a safe bet that a nearly-identical item would be an appreciated gift.

#4. clever medical/ scientific/ health - themed gifts w/ a twist. i haven't given any of these items (yet) and think they would be more/ less appreciated, enjoyed, etc. by some more/ less than others but for the right person/ people they might be quite a hit? not to mention an ongoing conversation piece.

(note: if any of you share any of my docs you'd better not steal my ideas!....at least not w/out talking w/ me first:-))

Made With Molecules

handmade molecule jewelry, tie tacks, glassware, ornaments, etc.

Infectious Awareables

a WIDE variety of clever (& nifty looking!) but educational/ accurate items ranging from stuffed plush microbes to neckties to scarves to t-shirts & more

Giant Microbes

direct link to the stuffed plush microbes large & small (also included on the infectious awareables page above)

medical neckties, mugs, etc.

and of course endless other online sites with a wide range of medical-themed neckties & more

#5. if a doctor has a particular collection s/he is fond of or a hobby s/he is obsessed with, etc. gifts along these lines CAN work well IF carefully thought out &/or investigated. but just b/c someone has a lot of #1 doctor mugs doesn't mean s/he wants more of them so tread lightly, research cleverly, etc.

general tips/ closing thoughts

-don't stress but do think if & when it is a doctor/nurse/therapist/aide you truly do want to acknowledge.

-it's not about the cost. as has been mentioned by someone else a nicely presented, well-thought-out note can very much be a gift in & of itself.

-use your resources. don't hesitate to ask gift-giving-related questions of a doctor's assistant, secretary, nurse, esp. if said side-kick has been with the doc for the long-haul. this can be a great way to find out what NOT to give too (aka doc's least favorite repeated gift year after year!). but DON'T FORGET to then also remember said assistant, nurse, secretary, etc. in at least a small way (something that is always a nice idea!!)

-set your own schedule. don't feel boxed in by particular holidays for giving your gifts. in most cases it's much better (more personal, memorable, etc.) to hand-deliver doc's gift at your next appointment in march than it is to drop it in the pile on his/ her desk amongst the mid-december rush.

hope this helps!!!

B) melissa

I have given one of the giant microbes to one doctor. My long-term cardiologist was given a good quality bottle of wine a few years ago after he had been particularly helpful.

One fun gift I managed to find last year was a heart shaped squeezy stress-relieving toy.

To be honest I don't do Christmas presents for doctors, I send a home-made card (quite simple ones done with stamps and embossing powder) with a "thank you" message inside. When I have given gifts it is usually to thank for a specific thing that the doc has put a lot of effort into or because the doctor is moving away.

Flop