still trying to learn - more questions

Nicole's Mom

Guest veryblue

Kathrine,

I understand that it is not good to concentrate in my chances of recovery, but I have to. I do not have choice. I have between now and the begining of summer to decide what I am going to do with my life. I have worked my whoel life to get good grades and it has finally paid off. I have been excepted to both Northwestern and Stanford Law Schools next year, and if I dont have a good chance of recovery, then I am not going to waste my parents money and go there. Gosh it costs so much to go there and I dont qualify for loans becasue my parents make way too much money. I dont want to waste 40K of their money for nothing. Law is a very demanding field, but is something that I have had my heart on and worked so hard for since day one. I feel it is such an accomplishment to have got as far as I have, and I am not going to let some mystery illness take it all away from me. It just has to go away, or else I have just wasted my time in life working so hard; for nothing. I have good hope due to the fact that I dont have and genetic of deep underlying cause of whats going wrong in my system and also that I am not affected too bad by it in the first place, I mean I dont even have problem standing up at all. I stand like 6 or 7 hours at work 4 days a week and I feel fine. That's why I have such good hope and I dont see why I shouldnt have it.

Bev,

I hope Nicole is doing well and makes great progress in order to have a merry holiday season.

Thanks emily and very blue for your kind words. Emily, I know how hard it is for you to post sometimes about yourself. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. And veryblue- what kind of lawyer do you want to be? I hope you can get better to go to school. Wow! Stamford!!! Isnt' that where Chelsea Clinton went? By the way I still don't know what your day to day symptoms are, very blue. Have you ever posted what kind of things go on with you?

Beverly

veryblue

POTS is not likely to prevent you from going to law school or succeeding in life. If that is what you have. Have you been diagnosed? I bet a lot of folks even on this forum (which tends to be used by the most ill) have been diagnosed and then treated and then recovered to a good level of health and eventually gone on to do all kinds of things they wanted to do. As I told you, my sister was diagnosed with POTS (this past year) she is now finishing her degree -- in physical therapy. She will take her boards this winter and has been offered a great job at the Georgia Warm Springs institution.

What I was trying to get across in my previous post is that I think it would be most productive to get a diagnosis (if you don't have one) and start trying treatments. TRY to get better! You may or may not be ready to start law school next fall. But no one can answer that question with assurance one way or the other, no matter how many different ways you ask it. You are VERY LIKELY to get better--if you have POTS--especially with appropriate treatment.

What are your symptoms that you are concerned about that you think would affect your performance at law school?

Katherine

• 4 months later...

I am new here and reading old posts noticied your guestions about too much dopamine. My son was having problems with panic attacks and panic/ anxiety disorder and the antipschotic drug "Seraquel" has given him a new life!!! .(this decreases dopamine in his brain) He takes only a low dose, but it has helped him tremendously with his anxiey and hasn't had a panic attack while taking it.

I hope your daughter is doing fine. Di d the betablocker seem to help any?

Karen