Getting along with others

Guest Mary from OH

Guest Mary from OH

Does anyone have an easy time making friends, but yet end up having difficulties? Are you frequently called intense? Or accused of overreacting or making too big a deal of something?

Often when I am just "talking", people can get the impression I am yelling or upset. But it's "just me". I have a loud, jovial voice. My doctor a long time ago described me like a radio that didn't have dials that could adjust the volume, bass, etc....

Do these things tend to make you very sensitive? :angry:

I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way?

Do you often have "paranoid" thoughts about your friends or other people?

Do you feel alone and like the whole world is against you and that nothing will ever get better? Does your POTS exhaust you so much that it takes so much energy to shower that even though the shower is only 10 feet away, you can't manage up enough energy to do it for days?

I was just wondering if I was alone in my ponderings... I just got up enough courage to ask.... I actually have MANY more things I'd love to know. But, I think I bared enough for one day.....

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes *sends hugs your way*

I'm trying to think of what all else to say aside from a shouting YES and totally agree!!

I want to say that if you have trouble with getting feelings out and all I highly suggest some journaling sites online, I know for me typing takes lots less energy than writing, I would be able to write in a paper journal..there is a WONDERFUL site called LiveJournal.com where you can have VERY particular custom settings so you know exactly who can and cannot see what you put there so they can be as private as you want and definatly help you get out feelings and such. Just saying that all in response to what you said about baring enough for one day. I hope it helps! and I definatly hope that this makes sense!! If this is all confusing and you are interested in the LiveJournal site I could help you with that if you want :D

So yiah..I think my origional purpose in this was to say all that I have said..I cant remember :angry:

Best of wishes!!

Mary,

I do have problems also. My voice is too low so that isn't one of them. One of my problems is I have no coping skills any longer. Before POTS I could handle anything well. When I was working I was the one that was the coolest during the "CODES". I just stayed in control and very up on everything. Now these days everything overwhelms me. It is like I have no coping skills. I use to be very sharp but now I have had my husband refer to me as ditzy many times. I never use to have a short temper, now if one little thing doesn't go my way I get all out of sorts. I know I have ran friends off, only a few of my friends still talk with me. So yea I know what you are saying.

Paige

When I became unable to mentally deal with even little things, it was because I was in great need of magnesium. Once I started taking magnesium lactate (the only form that worked for me), things became mentally easier and I now have a more normal reaction to things again. The magnesium also helped my fatigue.

Guest tearose

Mary,

I always think of myself as a sensitive person in a positive way. I have said on some occasions that I osciliate at a high frequency. I think I have learned to appreciate this about my personality. If I know the intensity of joy I can better respect the depth of despair in others as well as myself. I think all things are fluid and try not to dwell in extremes just try to find the in-between.

I have two girl- friends who are soul-sisters to me. When I am well enough I do volunteer work with a large non-profit women's organization so I have a variety of friends I have at different levels of involvement of my life. I think I am a "thinker" so my tendency is to examine any funky feelings I may have and ask myself if they are real concerns or maybe borne of fatigue and not real.

keep asking those questions, tearose

At the moment, I don't remember exactly how I caught on to the magnesium benefit. But after only 4 days on it, my fatigue was obviously lessened, and after a couple of weeks I began to realize my terrible feeling of mental overwhelm was lifting. After 2 or 3 months or so, I felt I was back to being able to mentally deal with whatever came my way. What an incredible relief that was, especially since I had always been an enthusiastic, can-do person.

I used the Standard Process brand (nothing else I tried worked for me) - you can call 800-425-3115 to order it with no shipping charges. It might be worth trying one bottle to see how you do. I believe I took 1 capsule 2 times a day at first, worked my way up to 2 capsules 3 times a day for about 2 weeks, then weaned back down. (You'll know if you are getting too much because you will experience loose stool or diarrhea - if so, just cut back.) For the first time in probably 4 or 5 years, I have been off of it for a little more than 3 months, and I don't seem to be noticing any backward slide.

Opus, I also added magnesium to my diet in the form of potassium magnesium aspartate (250 mg) and I get mine at a GNC store. I read somewhere where it may be better absorbed if it is in this form. I also believe that it has helped with my level of fatigue, but it might also account for the fact that I have improved in the emotional sensitivity area as well. When you feel so crappy it is very easy to overreact to things. POTS is also socially limiting because you never know how you'll feel at any given moment. Having a chronic illness is the pits, but one must look for the silver lining in the cloud. I must remind myself of this fact daily. Martha

Maybe its the overactivity of the nervous system and the adrenalin levels in the blood being higher to maintain pressure to the brain.

I have never been an anxious, irritable, snappy person until i started having these symptoms. as my POTS got worse, and when it was at its worst, i was terribly snappy and irritable - i was a horror.

I also found that i could not handle stress at all as well - i had to go to a job interview and i was so nervous i couldnt concentrate on what i was saying, and all my symptoms came back so i had to leave early.

Magnesium is a must! I take Magnesium lactate and it helps with the palpitations and then general mental emotional state - i feel more leveled and back to normal, unemotiomal, calm self (the self i miss sometimes!)