Tests, Stockings, Yadda

lifesaver

My neuro's nurse called this morning before I left for the hospital. She is ordering a prescription for compression stockings. Laughed and said it takes 2 people to put them on. And my husband is just soooo handy. They want me to try try OTC support hose first and see if it helps. She also ordered liver function tests to make sure the tegretol is not harming my liver--don't you love meds?

Spent the day at the hospital having tests. The EMG/NCV went well. There are problems with the nerves in my left leg and the ocular facial nerve--I think--in my face, part of the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

I would love to make the 4 neuros who said there is nothing wrong with me, eat the report from those tests--and have them apologise for the pain and suffering their lack of listening caused, to my face. Then they could give me my money back.

I had an MRI w/wo contrast of my brain-blood vessels, and cervical spine. Slept through that except for the IV insertion. Got very light-headed waiting for the scan. It was from having the EMG needle inserted and all the shocks for the NCV. Glad I knew it was the dysautonomia causing it, I asked to lie down and didn't feel guilty for it.

All the reports should get to my neuro in a week or so and will see what happens then. Hopefully she will see me sooner than the end of December.

Meanwhile, I hope my GP will put me back on estrogen. The hot flashes are killing me--I feel like passing out of need to sit down until they pass. Just can't regulated my body temperature when they hit.

I am profoundly tired. Going to bed and sleeping in till I am rested. Just so thankful to be getting answers. If my insurance had not changed, I would still be thinking this is all in my head.

I ramble--thanks for reading,

Becky

...trying to get a perscription for compression hose has been interesting. i have found some others that are slightly (ahem) more sexy than the white/blue jobbies. they are hideously expensive here in NZ, as they're imported from Switzerland. they cost me $120 a pair! i only got two but it is a challenge to get them through the wash in a timely fashion. nothing is fast around here. i notice a real difference when i wear them.

...i ramble too. great to find another rambler!

Becky,

I feel for you...those hot flashes are nothing to scoff at! I'm only 47 y/o, but I had a fibroid embolization which may have hurried things long for me. I have found GREAT relief with a bio-identical HRT patch called the Combi-Patch (estrogen & progesterone). At first I just wore 1/2 and changed it twice weekly. I'm up to 3/4 twice weekly and it's wonderful. I don't have the crazy hormonal highs and lows that I had with my menses and NO hot flashes!!!

I read a medical article that described what exactly happened during a hot flash- all of the various hormones firing off, each trying to stabilize another. It is a true endocrine firestorm. It always makes me feel like one of 3 things: 1. I was sure I was going to faint. 2. I thought I had sudden surges of low blood sugar that made me feel like I had to faint. 3. I thought I was having anaphylaxis & I would faint. I calmly waited each one out & none of the above happened.....but I felt like it was about to- AWFUL!!! It definitely worsens underlying autonomic problems- Demand a prescription for the Combi-Patch NOW!

Hugs-

Julie