quick meal ideas

Guest tearose

If you make the herb roasted chicken suggested by Dancing Light for dinner, you can then make a large batch of chicken soup overnight in the crockpot.

2-way Roasted Chicken

Here's a great 2-in-one meal for busy schedules and it helps use up some of those spices you have in the cupboard (I hope you like garlic). The soup is naturally low-fat because the chicken has already been roasted.

Roasted Chicken with Herbs

3-4 lb. whole chicken

3 tbls melted butter

3 cloves garlic minced

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp each thyme, sage, oregano, marjoram and basil

Add the seasonings to the melted butter and brush over the chicken (I place some additional garlic and a bayleaf in the chicken cavity). Roast at 350 degrees until internal temperature is 180-185 degrees. In my convection oven, this takes approximately 25 minutes/pound. Enjoy but save some of the crispy skin and the wings for the next step.

Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup

When you finish with dinner, save any large pieces of chicken for sandwiches or some other use.

Place the wings and chicken carcass in a crock pot (skin, bones and all)

Add 10 cups of water

Add 1 tbls of chicken soup base (or chicken bullion cubes).

Add 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery and 1 small onion - cut up, large chunks OK

Let it cook on low overnight and finish it in the morning.

Strain the soup through a collander into a large bowl. Return the broth to the crock pot and add your favorite noodles (1/2 package). Return any chicken pieces to the crock-pot and discard everything else. Continue to cook until the noodles are done (about 30 minutes). Refrigerate for later or freeze.

Guest tearose

These are great! I've been using them and already I'm able to use my time, ingredients and energy more efficiently!!! Keep those simple and easy ideas coming.

I have a hope that someday, at a DINET meeting, we all will gather, meet and be sharing our stories and best eats! Happy thoughts, tearose

• 2 weeks later...

as promised, here it is....

BLUSHING BAKED SALMON

6-6-oz salmon fillets

3 T honey

3 T lime juice

2 T olive oil

salt and pepper

Marinate 30 minutes in fridge.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

That's it! and very yummy. we don't use the 6 oz fillets...usually we do 1 to 1 1/2 pounds, but if you have more people, you might want to do all 36 oz!

one note....this makes a very dirty pan! if you really are low on energy...you can use a disposable foil pan. i know it's not environmental, but sometimes we gotta do this stuff to make it.

an easy side....acorn squash. just halve them, and put some margarine or butter in the middle and some brown sugar. bake in oven. yum!

another easy one...what we are having tonight...

PORK TENDERLOIN WITH ORANGE MARMALADE

pork tenderloin

1/2 cup orange marmalade (or apricot preserves)

1 T lemon juice

1/4 t ginger

1/4 t dried mustard

Put tenderloin in roasting pan or pie plate.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Pour sauce over tenderloin. Bake 10-15 min. (until pink)

also, pots of soup are always good and hearty this time of year. i have a lot of recipes. but here is one....

LENTIL SOUP

1/4 c. olive oil

4 c. onion

1 c. carrots

1 t. thyme

1 t. marjoram

8-9 c. stock + water

2 c. lentils

1/4 c. parsley

2 cans tomatoes

1 large potato

1/2 c. sherry

saute onions and carrots in oil 5 min.

add herbs and saute 1 min.

add stock, lentils, parsley, tomatoes, salt, to taste and cook covered 45 min. or longer

add sherry

optional: serve over 3T chees per bowl. top with parsley

note: this recipe is doubled...

also, you can freeze this stuff.

okay, that's enough cooking stuff for now! if you like some of these recipes, let me know and i will post some more stuff.

also, a quick easy meal...tuna salad. love that. lots of protein. and you can put different stuff in it for variety.

all my meals are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, etc. etc. for you other food sensitive folks!

later alligators! happy cooking!

emily

p.s. all recipe credit goes to my mom! she is the house chef! :)

one more recipe my mom suggested...she even had it all typed up on her comp! so i just had to cut and paste! yeah! this is good, esp. for those of you with kids and hearty appetites! :)

JOSEPHINE QUINN?S SLOPPY JOES

Heat 1 T. olive oil in large fry pan or electric skillet.

Cook 1 small chopped onion until wilted. Remove onions.

Lightly brown 2 lbs ground turkey or ground beef.

Return onions to skillet.

ADD:

? c. ketchup

2T. yellow mustard

2T. Worcestershire

2T. apple cider vinegar

1 t. salt

? t. pepper

1 c. water

Cover. Cook over low heat 30min to 1 hour.

Serve in sandwiches or over rice or macaroni.