Pots Associated With Mycoplasma Infection

ramakentesh

Is there anyway you could give us full access to the article? All I can get is the short synopsis. It sure might sound relevant in my case. Isn't mycoplasma infections related to fungus?? My issues started after Hurricane Rita(the bigger hurricance that happened one month after Katrina), and I swear the winds were so strong and driving, that we had a small amount of moisture come in UNDER our walls between the walls and the concrete. In fact some peoples homes were ever so slightly repositioned on top of their concrete! Anyway, I could have been exposed to fungus in my house. If mycoplasma is the case, then it sounds like some strong anti-fungals would be in the treatment picture. Am I wrong? Would love to read the article!

Like the others, I wish I could read more. I could only access the abstract. Interesting idea. My son, Mack was recently DXed with mycloplasma via clinical signs. It looked just like H1N1 to me, but his flu test was negative. (One half of the students at his school were ill. Only a handful tested positive for H1N1, despite the fact that they ALL had the same symptoms.)

After a few rounds of antibiotics and steroids, etc., he got better, BUT his chest was very sore for a long time. Breathing hurt. Interestingly enough, Mack is being treated with a few months of antibiotics via an experimental treatment prescribed by Dr. Rowe. He MAY (cautiously optimistic) be a little better. He was able to attend a week long college-hunting trip with his classmates (!!!) and he bicycled 36 miles with his Dad yesterday. He still falls asleep right after school, but his energy M-I-G-H-T be improving.

He was initially (for the mycoplasma) treated with 2 rounds of Z-pack. Now, he's taking 100mg of minocycline daily.

I'd love to learn more about this connection. Post more as you find it everyone!

Julie

I have mycoplasma which I definitely think is the cause of my POTS type symptoms. Back in 2004, I also tested positive for Lyme disease, Epstein Barr Virus, and HHV6. All of these are common co-infections of Lyme that can come with a tick bite.

I've been running a Lyme support group for 3 years now and have done countless hours of research. Most of the patients I see with autonomic dysfunction also have a positive test for mycoplasma- they used to call if Gulf War Syndrome because so many soldiers came home from the war with what we call POTS. I've even heard some theorize that it was a man-made bacteria with a military patent, but truth be told I don't get into all that conspiracy stuff.

I think there is definitely a link, and if you have POTS you should definitely look into it! Antibiotic treatment can be effective once you find the right meds and the right dosage.

I have mycoplasma which I definitely think is the cause of my POTS type symptoms. Back in 2004, I also tested positive for Lyme disease, Epstein Barr Virus, and HHV6. All of these are common co-infections of Lyme that can come with a tick bite.

I've been running a Lyme support group for 3 years now and have done countless hours of research. Most of the patients I see with autonomic dysfunction also have a positive test for mycoplasma- they used to call if Gulf War Syndrome because so many soldiers came home from the war with what we call POTS. I've even heard some theorize that it was a man-made bacteria with a military patent, but truth be told I don't get into all that conspiracy stuff.

I think there is definitely a link, and if you have POTS you should definitely look into it! Antibiotic treatment can be effective once you find the right meds and the right dosage.

What is the RIGHT med & DOSAGE? Share!

Mack is on anti'B's for Lyme now even though it is unlikely that Lyme is the cause of his issues. (He had severe GI symptoms even as an infant.) His Dr. (Peter Rowe @ Hopkins) has seen enough of his patients improve on the "Lyme regimen" that he prescribes it empirically to see what happens. He surmises that the anti-B's help with inflammation OR treat an infection similar to Lyme that we don'y currently know about and can't test for.

Thanks for your help!

Julie

• 10 years later...

My daughter was diagnosed with Mycoplasma Pneumonia in Oct 2019 and had Lyme type symptoms for many months. She was tested for Mono, strep, and the Flu, all negative. She now has Aquired Autonomic Dysfunction- Dysautonomia and POTS. She has most of her symptoms at a level where she can function at about 85%. Any secrets or tips to help her out ? 

@Jamie S - so sorry you guys have to go through this!!! I am not sure how old your daughter is but I have a neighbor whose daughter had Lymes disease in senior high and developed POTS after it. She was limited for a year but and was not able to go to college as planned, but after taking a year off, taking it easy, starting a beta blocker and following the usual treatment of salt/water/compression she improved to where she was able to become a CNA. She now is completely symptom free, except for palpitations. 

The most important thing she can do for herself is the above mentioned regimen, avoiding stress and prolonged periods of standing and exercising regularly to her ability. This is VERY important, especially since she is minimally affected. 30 minutes aerobic exercise 3 times a week is recommended. Also - if she gets symptoms ( such as dizziness, palpitations, racing heart etc ) - regardless of where she is or what she is doing: she must sit down and rest to avoid a flare. 

In younger people post-viral dysautonomia can be overcome, however often it reappears with usual triggers such as illness, pregnancy, trauma or very stressful experiences. I am so glad you state that she can function at 85% - and I hope this will improve as well. Best wishes!!!! 😉