Has Anyone Ever Tried The 5-hour Energy Drinks?

MamaTrain

• 2 months later...

If you're talking about that tiny little bottle, I tried and loved it. I'm not supposed to be on caffeine, but I was tired and desperate and in the middle of a store that had them. It woke me up, without making me feel weird. I didn't crash afterward, but I could definitely tell when it had stopped working.

The first time I tried the natural five hour energy drink.....I ended up in an ambulance headed to the emergency room. It was the visit that determined something wasn't right with me. I can't blame the drink for the sudden onset of my POTS but it was the only thing different in my life. My guess is I had POTS and the drink made it worse. Everyone is different but I won't try it again.

I haven't tried one recently (since I have weaned myself to 1-2 cups of coffee a week, since I started not being able to tolerate caffeine), but when I did drink them all of the time, I wasn't jittery or had too bad tachycardia (it went up maybe 10 bpm higher than normal). I was energetic and my mental function was a bit better (just plain coffee will hype me up and I seem to get more stupid). If you try one, I would drink maybe a half, or even a fourth of the bottle and wait to see how it makes you feel before you try more.

I have never had one. My Cardio told me to never touch them. But I also have IST in addition to POTS and my HR is just so darn sensitive to any stimuli

~Kelli

I would also be very scared to try it.

I took something for energy once that had Ginseng in it and my heart really sped up and everything looked strange. I felt like a rocket getting ready to blast off.

That was pre POTS. Now I'm afraid of what the results would be.

If you feel the need to try it just do a sip and increase from there based on positive effects?

Maybe ask your doctor first?

Thanks for all the replies! Its funny cause I posted this like in November and no one commented then all the sudden people started commenting! I have not had the guts to try it. I dont think I will cause I'm just afraid of what will happen. Even though I survive all my episodes and deep in my heart and mind I know that I'm going to be ok I absolutely HATE having them. They scare the crap out of me!

KC

Lol, I revived it! I was doing a search for energy drinks and your post was the only one I saw, so I thought I'd start it up again. Sometimes good questions get lost in the mix of an active board before anyone gets a chance to answer them.

The first time I tried the natural five hour energy drink.....I ended up in an ambulance headed to the emergency room. It was the visit that determined something wasn't right with me. I can't blame the drink for the sudden onset of my POTS but it was the only thing different in my life. My guess is I had POTS and the drink made it worse. Everyone is different but I won't try it again.

Did you try the tiny little red bottle that says 5-hour energy and has a silhouette of a guy running up a mountain? I'm trying to determine the effects of that specific drink on people.

This is a good article. I would be worried about the caffeine and the long and short term side effects that seem to be unknown. Some people have had bad reactions and those of us with POTS seem to be extra sensitive. On the other hand, maybe it doesn't hurt to try. At worst you may feel bad for a day or two, but at least you will know! :D

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/14/energ...ents/index.html

You can also read some of the reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3HX1...SG5G0DNZBNRQCP8

• 11 years later...
On 1/21/2010 at 6:40 PM, Tifbmel said:

Yes, I have had similar experiences with stimulants. I have tried 5 hour energy and it just increased HR and adrenaline, then I crashed like an hour later. I don't think it's very healthy tbh. The only thing that does help slightly is chocolate, not dark, milk. 

So I looked at the ingredients and it has stuff like Caffeine that would be a vasoconstrictor then it has stuff like niacin (which can cause extreme flushing) that is a vasodilator. May be why some of us have had weird experiences with it. I'd just check all ingredients before trying because it has a lot of stuff in it.