Holiday Flying... Anyone Else Terrified?

valliali

I sure am! Have had some really bad experiences from flying. Triggers the PSVT, which then triggers major panic (though I believe the PSVT in itself causes the panic-like feelings and they are MAJOR)... I know there was another thread about this not long ago.

My flying PSVTs were triggered only by the ascent and descent. I actually felt gloriously well up in the air. But the heart episodes were enough to do some serious fear damage. I used to fly ALL the time and love it because it always meant I was going somewhere really exciting. I haven't flown since a couple of years ago when all this happened, but I have to in a month.

On top of it, I am having a lot of issues with eustachian tube dysfunction. I cannot take decongestants, which is the only encouraged method for people when flying. I've heard it is highly unadvised to fly with eustachian tube problems. I don't have them unless I am congested, so I can book my tickets now while my ears feel okay, but what if I wake the day I have to fly and my ears are all clogged up?

So terrified. I need to go cross-country too, so it's not like the train is exactly an easy option! I would end up missing four days of work JUST for the train!!!

I've got a flight coming up too. I hate flying and married a pilot!

If you cannot take decongestants, can you take Guifenisen (Mucinex) or Afrin/Dristan? Mucinex would thin the secretions allowing them to pass and not clog your sinuses and eustachian tubes. If you take it regularly for several days prior, you should not be too clogged. Dristan is a pilot trick I picked up from my husband. It shrinks the nasal passages enough to allow the eustachian tubes to equalize the pressure. Don't take it till you are descending or it will be useless. Tell your flight attendant that you have sinus/ear issues and must be notified just prior to descent. They are usually pretty good about it.

I have one big suggestion for you: Buy insurance for your flight! That has saved me on several occasions when I was just to ill to take the flight I'd scheduled. It costs $20, but you get all of your money back (except the $20), and gives you peace of mind. I'm having to do the same thing for going home for Christmas...

Cheers,

Jana

i hate takeoffs and landings too. i dont wear compression hose anymore, but i do wear it just for flights, and that seems to help. also putting my feet up or across the seats next to me. for the congestion, you might want to talk to your dr about whether it's OK for you to use a neti pot. it helps clear things out w/o any medicine.