Body Positions That Affect You?

Tammy

Hi! What I'm wondering is what type of body positions bother you? I think that almost all of us can't be one our feet for more than a few minutes at a time, however, does other positions affect you also? For me, to feel most functional, I have to be in a reclined position. If I sit on a regular chair with my feet up on a foot stool, I can last maybe 30 minutes, maybe bit longer if I'm really lucky. But when I sit on the floor, with my legs crossed, such as when I'm playing with my daughter, I only can tolerate that position for 5 minutes or so. Anyone else experience this? I would think that since I'm still sitting, it shouldn't be a problem, but it IS!

Hi Tammy

Almost any position affects me unless I'm laying on my side. Even if I'm sitting I don't feel that great unless I'm kinda laying also. Sitting Up straight like on a car ride or whatever gives me symptoms just not tachy.... Another thing I rarely get dizziness its more like swaying feeling. I can't lay flat on my back either I feel like I will pass out.

Lissy

Tammy,

Sitting on a chair with my legs on a stool, or sitting cross-legged on the floor do nothing for me:I feel badly when doing them. If the blood can "run out of my head", it does. At least that's what I attribute the sick feeling to.

My only sure-fire "okay" position is reclining, like when the oral surgeon reclined the entire seat in order to do his surgery.

Sitting in a car, or anywhere is stressful on my malfunctioning body.

Any position where my head is lower than my heart. My face and ears feel like they are filling with blood and I begin to see stars! (Apparently I turn some very pretty colors too!) It takes several minutes for my ears and nose to clear once I come back up and then the blood runs out just as quickly and I grey-out. Any sudden change of position will hit me hard. I get all tachy and breathless from holding my hand in the air to ask a question, whether seated or not.

Reclining is my best position. I need all parts of my body supported so I don't use up the little energy I have. I can sit in a chair with really good support (slouchy armchairs are best) but usually get delayed exhaustion from it. Oddly, my car seats are brilliant, really good design for my needs, and I just hope my car keeps going for many years as I don't want to lose the seats ! Also have the can't bear standing still trouble.

When we went car shopping this past September, one of the main factors for me was how comfortably I can recline and elevate my legs in the passenger seat! I hate flying, but when I have to fly I put up the armrests on either side of me and sit cross-legged. I also try to get a window seat so I can lean against the wall. If I feel really badly, I bend over and put my head down for a minute. I also sit cross-legged when I'm in a chair waiting at a doctor's office. It seems that a lot of blood pools in my thighs and if they are at a slightly elevated angle, I do alright. I'm still having POTS symptoms whenever I sit like this, but I don't feel like "I have to lay down" for an hour or so (thanks to starting mestinon a month ago). Prior to the mestinon, I could sit for 15 minutes and then would feel the urge to lie down or recline asap.

Also, I can't raise my arms for very long. I have grown my hair longer so that I only have to braid it and I'm done. No hair dryer - the heat and elevating my arms make me feel horrible. And when my arms are raised, my face flushes and my chest feels so heavy.