Oh No! The Week Ends With - I Think I Have Swine Flu/h1n1

iheartcats

Hello everyone -

I've already had a stressful week and now they think I have H1N1...I wanted the shot, it never came!

I woke up today feeling horrible with an awful sore throat and my fever keeps going up. I feel so uncomfortable and have a fever AND chills at the same time. Plus more than usual body aches.

I'm already on antibiotics for nasal impetigo (yuck, I know) so I'm so worried - a bacterial and a viral infection? I could cry. I'm scared. I wish my family was close by right now.

What can I do? Is Tamiflu safe? What are the 'worst' side effects? I guess I'd rather risk those than the full-on flu, even if it helps just a bit to lessen the impact.

I had my regular flu shot, so it's a strong possibility it's H1N1. Oh I didn't need this.

I am so sorry to hear that you have come down with H1N1! I don't really have any good information, but I have heard that Tamiflu can really help if you get it soon enough. And hopefully the antibiotics that you are now on will ward off any further infections that the flu can cause like pneumonia. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon!!

~dakota

Sorry you have to go through all of this. Hope I can be a little reasurring... my kids got the flu also. The longest sick was about ten days with a high fever. The one thing you have on your side,like dakota said,is that your on an antibiotic. The way I look at it is that my kids now have natural immunities to H1N1. Once your past all the "yucky" stuff that comes with the flu, you'll have a stronger immune system. One thing my family does is to make sure we take vitamins, use emergen-c(this is similar to airborne), and make sure we get plenty of rest and fluids. Hope you start to feel better soon...keep us posted.

God Bless,busymom

My sympathies...I know it must be scary and you must really feel awful right now. I would definitely try the Tamiflu - what does your doctor suggest? As the other ladies suggested, the antibiotic will hopefully be a help, not a hindrance, in keeping other bacterial infections away. Rest a lot, drink tons of fluid (get lots of Vitamin C), and sleep as much as possible. Get well soon, and let us know how you're doing! Positive, healing thoughts your way.

Cheers,

Jana

(((((((((((((((cat-lady)))))))))))))))))))

Sweetie, if you can't get the Tamiflu, remember the advice posted on the forum a couple weeks ago: lots of hot soup to flush the nasty virus into your stomach and nasal irrigation (neti pot) if you can. If you neti, make it with water as hot and salty as you can tolerate!

If you do have a prescription for Tamiflu, get it in any form (they have it in liquid!) at an independent pharmacy (a little one with a family name), they usually have a better supply than the big drug-store chains. We had to run around two towns to find the liquid for my son and finally found it at an itty bitty pharmacy at the edge of town.

Many prayers and well wishes!!!!!!!

Jennifer

Praying for you Cat Lady.

I hope it passes for you quickly.

This is a scary season. I'm fighting a virus myself right now. Last year I think my sister in law and I had H1N1.

I don't think the fever lasts 10 days though-----that was unusual for your son to have a high fever for 10 days busymom----did he get a secondary infection?-------the poor guy. Our fever was for 2-3 days, but the whole duration of the flu was about 7 days.

BIG HUG to you.

Maxine :0)

I'm just getting over H1N1. It was not a fun week at all! Drink LOTS MORE WATER, tylenol, and get to a doctor for an anti-viral med. They really do help!

Caron