How Low Is Too Low For Heart Rate

kayjay

Hello all, I am wondering if you have any input about heat rate. My resting hr is around 42 and I once had a horrible low of 28 in walmart with my mom ( I felt like junk).

Anyway I am on a beta blocker. I cut the am dose in half after the walmart incident (about 10 days ago).

In next week I'm thinking I'll go back to one pill a day.

Has this happend to anyone else? I still get huge bump ups. I was having.... well let's call it a heated Discussion with my husband and my heart rate went from 45 to 147. It does not stay high or low. JUST seems weird to have 100pt swings when I am on meds! Thanks for imput!

Normal is 60 - 100, with 60 being normal for very fit people, so I guess 100 might be normal in UNfit people. I think 28 is really getting seriously low and I would call my doctor tomorrow about it. I can't imagine that is good for your organs to have your pulse so low. Of course, 147 isn't good for you either! But your doctor might be able to try another type of med.

Hello all, I am wondering if you have any input about heat rate. My resting hr is around 42 and I once had a horrible low of 28 in walmart with my mom ( I felt like junk).

Anyway I am on a beta blocker. I cut the am dose in half after the walmart incident (about 10 days ago).

In next week I'm thinking I'll go back to one pill a day.

Has this happend to anyone else? I still get huge bump ups. I was having.... well let's call it a heated Discussion with my husband and my heart rate went from 45 to 147. It does not stay high or low. JUST seems weird to have 100pt swings when I am on meds! Thanks for imput!

I agree- 28 BPM is too low. Of course you felt awful. My son's occasionally gets in the low 30's. We have slowly learned that it is when something else is going on. Last time it was a bacterial overgrowth of his small bowel. After a round of Xifaxcin, his HR returned to more normal levels: 50-60 BPM.

Could you have something else going on, the start of a virus or infection? Definitely talk with your doc about the beta-blocker & your HR variability.

Feel better & keep us posted!

Julie

Maybe you can discuss a pace maker with your cardiologist, or have an adjustment on medication-----28 bpm is way too low.

It definately needs to be discussed with your doctor.

I never get below 60bpm on 20mg of propranolol 3 times a day.

That must be really scary----------------I hope you feel better soon!

Maxine :0)

I got syncope on beta blockers years back and had to change doctors in order to stop them. Don't know what my heart rate did, but my BP was 85/50 sitting down--who knows what happened when I stood up.

It could be the beta blocker causing the problem--I would ask the doc about that before taking the big step to a pacemaker.

HUGS, this has to be very upsetting,

lifesaver

28 is too low especially when simultaneously feeling symptomatic. Definitely need to work with your doc on that, most likely tapering off the BB or changing dosing pattern or something. I have bradycardia without a BB and this makes them not an option for me (contraindicated) at least not without caution... even though they might help me with POTS. Some people do end up using a pacemaker to lock in a minimum, then a beta-blocker or something to tamp down on the tachycardic episodes. But first line of action tends to be adjusting any existing meds, even if they are otherwise helping overall.

As a bit of trivia, I recall reading that the lowest healthy HR was 25 in a super-athlete... the distinction is whether one is experiencing symptoms along with the bradycardia or not. Docs will sometimes want to just ignore it... I clocked 40 on EKG in the ER and the doc just said no worries unless other things are bad too... which they tend to be.

Also, be sure to investigate if other things can be tampering with your medication metabolism. On occasion our diets (and especially other medications) can interact and make things either more or less effective than normal. Sometimes changing one med can require reassessing the dose of others. There are a few foods known to interact too... and more than a few herbs and such which people often assume are inherently safe simply because they are natural. Just another possibility to keep in the back of your mind in general... especially if when meds seem to be having erratic effect.

I had pretty severe bradycardia, where my HR would be in the low 30s for long periods of time (and like some have pointed out, was very symptomatic), so I couldn't take any BB's or any other drug that could bring my BP and HR down. I finally ended up getting a pacemaker, which is set so that my HR won't go any lower than 60 BPM. It's helped my feel a little better physically, but a lot better psychologically. Perhaps you could ask to wear a holter monitor to see what you heart is doing over time - that's what they used with me.

Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon!

Cheers,

Jana

I'm with Maxine - I never get below 60bpm on 20mg of propranolol 3 times a day...I think I've been in the 50s before laying down, but that's only on rare occasions and I felt normal.

I'd worry if it got below 50, personally, as I know I am not 'healthy fit' right now and if I was feeling bad.

If I get upset, stressed, etc. it does fly up like yours, even on Beta Blockers! Ahh, the joys of Dysautonomia.

I hope you can find a BB fix that works for you - let us know!