Autoimmune Pots

I recently read a post from someone who said they "strengthened" their blood vessels and cured their POTS. My question is if you have autoimmune related POTS is your body attcking the nerves the vasoconstrict so that once the autoimmune response stops the nerves can start to heal or are the nerves just damaged and need to heal?

I am just thinking that the autoimmune response means that the body is fighting itself....am I looking at this wrong?

Please help....

Erika

If the autoimmune issue is under control I can't see why nerve rehabilitation would not be possible. Neuro research all points to our bodies being able to heal. Until recently they thought the brain had a finite number of cells to go on and now they know that is wrong and there are stem cells even in the brains of older individuals. Not to mention people who recover from bad strokes and accidents and their brains completely rewire themselves in oder to regain functionality. So yeah, I think it is possible for nerves to "heal"...

I don't know details, but I have heard that there is possibility of partial or full recovery once an aggravating circumstance is removed. I have read this about nutrient deficiencies (B12, thiamine/beriberi, whatever) and heard it also mentioned about Sjogren's (an autoimmune attack that can include neuropathy and other things). I think that makes it something akin to the "nerves being continually attacked" scenario. This can be a long term process and is said to vary. I don't know details or know this authoritatively, but that's what I've heard and read.

Yeah nerves would definately heal from an autoimmune mediated attack.However there isnt even concensus that the autoantibodies to a3 receptors are the causal factor in that form of POTS. Many patients seem to develop some sort of neuropathy and the mechanisms of this are not understood. Neuropathy would probably not 'heal'.

That being said, most of us have signs of autoimmunity with our conditions. Many have comorbid autoimmune disorders. Many have a fluctuating course which is a hallmark of autoimmunity.

It could simply be that there are different forms of autoimmunity - some mediated against vasoconstrictive alpha 3 receptors, some mediated against veinous permiability properties, some against beta 1 receptors, etc.