Tested "positive" For Celiac Disease

iheartcats

Delphic

I do NOT know where folks get the idea that GLUTEN FREE is low carb. it is NOT. one slice of some GF breads is higher than in normal wheat flour? GF is not a low calorie or low carb diet anything. It is free of WHEAT!

INTERESTING about your barley or malt sensitivity. I tried a barley malt sweetener 25 years ago that caused problems..and gluten 'meat patties' in the vegetarian section always gave me belly aches. Thus I tried GF diets a couple of times.

PLEASE NOTE! You can be sensitive to wheat or have a wheat intolerance. MUCH different than Celiac. My neices beau of 15 years only found out he had Celiac 6 years ago when siblings were dx. He NEVER goes to doctors but had gut issues and stayed underweight. He went GF and never had gut issues again and is of normal weight. He is in his late 40s. I never had the gut issues, just normal GI changes when I had my sick periods before hysterectomy.

GF you can still have comfort foods..potatoes, rice, rice noodles or the tinkyada pastas for spaghetti or lasagna as mentioned. My kroger has the GF cake mixes but a box is 4.99 and I doubt that is a 8x13 pan but did not have on my reading glasses to check.

My kroger (Grocery store) also has a GLUTEN FREE section of limited snacks...crackers, breads, cookies.

Also most candy is gluten free, well at least many chocolates are. Here is a link and it has a PDF of lots of candy and snacks. :( Normal name brand stuff we are all familiar with, too.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/News/Celiac-N...61/vobId__1765/

Sophia - Thank you kindly for that link! I think one positive thing (and this I've heard from a couple others)...you can't just graze and snack as freely before so it's somewhat helpful if you need to lose (and I do). I'm often 'bloated' too. I can feel the bloat and it's yucky.

Delphic - After the three month GF diet, if I feel much better I can either continue or go BACK on Gluten and have the biopsy. I would find that so harsh, but we'll see. I have noticed something in the last few days. My pain is MUCH WORSE after eating a high-wheat plate of food.

Mrs. Burschman - Seriously? They noticed a major improvement? I've been trying to read up on it and came across a few stories of people who are convinced there body was too busy fighting Gluten and causing damage. Hmmm. I'm hoping I'll get better!

MelissaReid - You'd think SF would have more GF! Maybe I need to go to Rainbow Grocery? The Safeway doesn't have a GF aisle here. :( I hear some Targets do but have no idea which one to go to. I agree that it's good I have something to try with a 'blood test' to back it up. I'll get a definitive diagnosis after the few month GF test and, possibly, endoscopy. This is one drawn out test, I tell you.

I've been rearranging my cabinets. My husband now has a 'wheat/gluten' shelf and some paper bowls. :/ I think I'll look for that T-something pasta at Whole Foods and try to get away with cooking that. :(

Mrs. Burschman - Seriously? They noticed a major improvement? I've been trying to read up on it and came across a few stories of people who are convinced there body was too busy fighting Gluten and causing damage. Hmmm. I'm hoping I'll get better!

The woman I'm talking about (my mom's cousin) didn't have POTS or autonomic issues, as far as I know. She was REALLY sick though. Was down to something like 90 pounds, horrible gut pain, etc. It seems like I remember that her hair was even falling out. When she found out it was celiac and went on the diet, she had an amazing recovery. She's doing great now, as long as she avoids gluten.

Amy

Hi again Cat Lady,

Good to know you're adjusting quickly to the idea of going GF, but when you start withdrawing from gluten, it won't seem as easy. :ph34r::lol: Hang in there. The withdrawals will go away ... Honestly, I cheated 3 times before I was convinced not to cheat again. :ph34r:

Before I forget, there is a website called www.glutenzap.com that is for anyone who is super sensitive to gluten. I hope you're not but just in case. They have been testing all those "gluten free" foods with Elisa testing kits. And they have brands that they recommend ... I'm Paleo (meats, fruits and veggies) so I'm not there much.

HTH ... Marcia

Cat Lady

I could NOT remember a blog last week I wanted to tell you about for GF foods and pictures (to inspire you and let you know this eating can be fun!)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006...enchiladas.html

This is for enchiladas but the entire blog is pretty cool.

Here is the main page in case you or anybody else is interested.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

And here she explains HOW to go GLUTEN FREE. her pictures are amazing.