Housecleaning

potsgirl

Greetings Friends,

My SO has been trying to get me to hire this house cleaner to come in twice a month to do the majority of the cleaning. I feel like this is something I should be able to do myself, in small increments, except for the vacuuming. It's one small area in which I still feel like I have some control, like doing the laundry. I'm home every day, and the guilt issues are huge. The housekeeper is very reasonable, but I can't leave while she's here, and I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable reading in my bedroom while she cleans the downstairs.

Anyone else have experiences/thoughts on this? Thanks!

Jana

Best money I could have spent. It was a little awkward the 1st couple times but I've gotten used to it. We've chatted enough that she knows about my limitations! Mine comes in twice a month. Wouldn't have it any other way now!!

Brye

Jana- I had someone comming in every week. If you can... do it! I feel a little silly laying in bed when some one cleans but they are happy to have the work... I sometimes watch a dvd with head phones on on take a nap.

Just don't feel like you have to justify how you spend your money... also we are not LAZY. I have to tell myself that !!! Also don't spend the time you have feeling well cleaning!

Household help never does as good of a job as you do anyway. On Friday our cleaning person came, Saturday I washed the outside of my kitchen cabs. You can always find chores if you miss them!! HA

Oh Jana,

If I could afford it I would do it!! I hae to have my daughter help me. There is no way I could scrub the tub etc. I have a hard time with laundry too as I can't bend and get the clothes...oh and I can't put them in the dryer well either!! Oh boy...hmmmmm...amazing we are not living in squaller. AND they always do a better job than me too.

I really look at it this way. If someone helps with the house I can maybe go to the store...or take a walk...but if I clean...I am ill afterwards.

Erika

This is so embarrassing, but my house is so junky right now from not being able to hardly do anything. Last Christmas we asked both sets of parents for money so we could have a "house cleaner fund" to maybe pay someone to come in once a month. BUT, we would have to CLEAN the house first, to even let the house cleaner come clean!! I think I will ask my grown kids to give me that for x-mas this year, a couple of days where we can all get together and sort through all the house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hoarder, just 4 years of not dealing with stuff that has come into the house in a timely fashion or putting all the clean laundry where it should be.

This is a big issue for me and my partner. I have said on here before, he believes we should do 50/50 (and, since I have been forced to quit work because of illness, he now thinks I should do 90% of it and expects the house to be pristine when he gets home from work) but that's just not possible for me.

I can hoover standing in one place without leaning over, but I get ill when i lift the hoover to get it in and out of the cupboard. I can wash up, sometimes. Making the bed I find difficult because it involves quite a lot of strength and stretching. I clean the bath while in it and the bathroom sink while leaning against the wall. I sometimes sit with a dustpan and brush and sweep up the dust and dirt on the floor, but my housekeeping is never up to my partner's standards and we have lots of arguments about it.

Janey

I just watched Houseboat on TCM and I am most definitely interested in hiring a maid... not sure if Sofia Loren is still available or not :) I'm not a lawyer widower, more of an unemployed loser... so that will complicate things though!

But seriously, I get spurts of being able to do cleaning well and get by ok that way for my circumstance. I'd say if you're in a position of needing to maintain things reliably and steadily it is very understandable that you hire someone. These "little things" are not so little for many of us, and you deserve anything that will maximize your health and ability to enjoy what you can when you can.

I can understand the guilt and other complications. It's like a thing that eats on your self sufficiency and pride. This is understandable but also worth trying to minimize. I don't know how... but try not to let that get you down. Maybe a trial run of a month or two with the maid... or a maid that will let you kind of work along side them???

I don't, but I do toy with the idea. I'm basically well enough now that I can do most things. Bending down to do baseboards & lifting a heavy vacuum on the stairs are things I still struggle with. I try to tell myself that my house chores are God's re-hab program for me :P Moving and working ultimately make me feel stronger and better in the long run. In the short run, it exhausts me and doesn't leave room for things I enjoy.

I guess I'm ambivalent too. <_< I wish I could get comfortable with the idea & not feel guilty for spending the money. Knowing me. I'd probably have to work with my house cleaner and/or clean the house before they arrive :P

Julie

For me I've also found it's a lot of work just picking up before she comes every other week. It's all well worth it though to know once I have picked up someone else is coming in to finish!! That is the one day a week I can sit in my house guilt free after my house cleaner leaves and feel like I can read a magazine.

(Yes this is my 2nd post on this topic but my housekeeper has saved my sanity)

Brye

Julie,

Yes - you've hit it on the nose. I feel like I should be able to at least do the dusting and Swiffering of the floors (we have a lot of tile downstairs) and some cleaning in the bathroom. Shouldn't that help me get better, by being a little more active? And it's only twice a month....Hmm. I've always had this wonderful little thing called OCD/perfectionism. I would clean the place before she came to clean the place!

Cheers,

Jana

I just recently hired a housecleaner... She comes in every other week and my gosh she is good...... best money I could have spent!!!! work of caution it took me 2 to find the right one!!! The first one took my pain medicine :-( but it was well worth finding the next one...

I have very mixed feelings about this- I had one a few years ago- briefly. The idea of the maid sounded great but in reality it was a lot of work. Seriously- I had to clean before they came and strip all the beds, etc. And again with dysautonomia being what it is, I was not always guaranteed to be able to do those things on the days the maid would come. And... the cleanliness was always very short lived in our house- we are some messy folks! BUT, the thing that did me in the most was at the time I had a port and had to take meticulous care about germs and contamination ("scary germs" not just run in the mill "messiness") . I made this very clear to the agency before they started. The maid came acutely sick and throwing up into my home. I was infuriated- this was a bonded agency- I was dumbfounded. So, what I need is an Alice like on the Brady Bunch- someone that can be here every day and one that has a clue- lol Unfortunately, that's just not in the budget :blink:

But generally speaking, if it can work for you it is probably a wise thing. But for us, it really didn't help.

Carmen

I used to have a cleaning lady every two weeks. It took me a long time to 'let' a housekeeper into my house. I felt violated having someone come in to my space. I wouldn't want anyone to touch my private things, wash my undergarments, etc. Well, let me tell you that I got used to it pretty quickly! It was fabulous. When you have someone you can trust (get a reference from a friend), it makes a big difference.

Then I took some time off work and wanted to save $. Now I work from home and live in a small space, so there is no room for the housekeeper. Mine likes to talk a lot, so I can't get anything done with her around.

Life is short and it's important to live as much as you can. You have limited energy with POTS, and if someone else takes care of the housework, you can use that same energy to spend time with loved ones, do something fun or at least do other work.

I do understand why you hesitate, though. I think part of it is feeling like you SHOULD be able to do the housework. Healthy people dread doing chores, but many with POTS would give anything to be able to do them.

Why not give it a try, and if you don't feel comfortable you can always stop?

By the way, when I had a housekeeper, I worked out an arrangement where she would call me the evening before to confirm. That way if my place wasn't ready or I wasn't feeling well, I didn't have the pressure of her coming. Maybe you can find someone who is flexible...there are a lot of out of work people out there...:blink:

I have been a house cleaner. There's no reason to feel bad that your reading and she's working. That's a win win. I do think its best to offer to clear out if she is doing your room. Until you get to know the person and can chit chat. It feels like a first date sort of thing. "What should I say", type of feelings/thoughts.

Also I think its very wise to adjust and act according to what you need. If you need help (and you can afford it), than its clearly the right choice.

I do have someone who comes every other week to clean. I still work outsside the home so this really helps me. I told my husband I thought I could do it now, but he wants to be sure I continue to feel as good as I can, and the last time I vaccumed I felt pretty bad afterwards. I was not sure we should be spending the money on it either, but it is worth it to us. If you find the right person and can check references or a referal from friends is how I found mine, it becomes easier to have someone else in your house.

Wow ~ Thanks for all the replies. It turns out that this woman, who was high recommended and only charges $25./two hours (!!) only had a time slot open for Tuesday afternoons, during my 'rest time'. We decided to have her put us on her 'wait list' for a morning slot. That way she can be here when I'm out doing physical therapy in the morning. Hopefully she'll have a slot open up soon. Thankfully, my SO is fine with doing the vacuuming and the bathtub, so we'll be fine for awhile. I'll keep dusting and Swiffering and doing the laundry every two weeks.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Jana