For Those Worried About Swine Flu - Don't Worry So Much.

Nauthiz

I have seen alot of worried people here about the swine flu so i thought i would post this. If anyone reads Dr. Mercola's website i read good article today about the majority of swine flu probabe cases not being swine flu. Here is the chart he posted. So if you think you had the swine flu and are immune don't take that as fact, also don't take the swine flu as any type of so called pandemic.

swine-flu.gif

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...restimated.aspx

I don't want to offend you, but the way he pulled data for that chart is a little unreliable... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola If you read about Dr. Mercola on the web, he's known for being a conspiracy theorist who uses scare tactics to gain believers, so I'm not quite sure his opinion is any kind of fact about swine flu. But I don't want to argue about it, I just wanted to make sure you knew that about his reputation.

One thing to note is that Dr. Mercola has been issued two official warnings from the FDA about putting the public at risk with his opinions on the use of drugs and medicinal practices.

I don't want to offend you, but the way he pulled data for that chart is a little unreliable... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola If you read about Dr. Mercola on the web, he's known for being a conspiracy theorist who uses scare tactics to gain believers, so I'm not quite sure his opinion is any kind of fact about swine flu. But I don't want to argue about it, I just wanted to make sure you knew that about his reputation.

One thing to note is that Dr. Mercola has been issued two official warnings from the FDA about putting the public at risk with his opinions on the use of drugs and medicinal practices.

If you don't like mercola you can also watch the video by CBS on his page... the point is the idea of swine flu is highly inflated by the media and people need to relax.

What did they find? CBS reported:

"The results reveal a pattern that surprised a number of health care professionals we consulted. The vast majority of cases were negative for H1N1 as well as seasonal flu, despite the fact that many states were specifically testing patients deemed to be most likely to have H1N1 flu, based on symptoms and risk factors, such as travel to Mexico."

I agree the media is scaring people with reports on deaths and limited vaccine, etc.

I do think it makes sense to be skeptical of information provided on websites. Look carefully at the sources cited, credentials of the person making the claims, and also at other claims made elsewhere on the site (eg conspiracy theories, etc). If someone is advertising for speaking engagements, that is a red flag too, in my opinion.

Might take a look at this--written by a physician at Philadephlia Children's Hospital:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/opinion/...H1N1&st=cse

The H1N1 tests are very unreliable. Some who have died tested negative and were confirmed on autopsy. More than one person I know who went to the doctor were told that they aren't testing because the tests are so unreliable, and they would treat the person the same no matter how it came back.

Also, most people with the flu don't go to the doctor so the people tested are sick, and that may be why many have something else.

Which leads me to believe that H1N1 might be much milder than initially thought.

The problem I have with Dr. Mercola, is even is he comes up with something that makes sense, I have a hard time believing him because of some of the off the wall really weird stuff he has said.

When my sister in law and I got really sick last year she had confirmed pneumonia after she went to the doctor. This was follwing a terrbile fever, body aches, and nausea/vomiting. I had the same thing, but no vomiting, but could barely eat a thing. This was in mid to late March---I thought it was late March---early April but I found my old post on it. http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...won't+break

I'm thinking it was the H1N1 flu. The pulminologist found interstitial markings on my lungs after this flu. I went for a lung x-ray a while after I got sick because it felt like my lungs never cleared properly from this flu. I don't know if I had pneumonia or not at the time, but my lungs haven't been the same. My pulminologist said I have mild interstitial disease. If is wasn't the H1N1, it was another nasty, nasty flu. My sister in law just go over pneumonia again, but this time it was much milder. I think her lungs are more vulnerable now too.

In mid February when my brother died, over 200 people came to the funeral home---maybe 300-----all exchanging hugs, kisses, and tears. It was a breeding ground for viruses, and we think this is how a lot of us got so sick last year.

Maxine :0)

Nauthiz,

You make a good point as the virus has been quite mild for many, not as violent as the traditional flu.

BUT, telling a population already sick, some immuno-compromised (like myself), not to worry....Hmmmm. For instance, have you been following Angela's saga. (She posted above.) Her son has spent almost THREE weeks in the hospital with H1N1 complications and has just been re-DXed with pleurisy & is on additional weeks of IV antbiotics. Her younger son just contracted H1N1. Don't worry, Angela :rolleyes: Easier said than done!

Julie

If it makes anyone feel any less anxious, I am now recovered from H1N1 (after 2 weeks). It felt like a regular flu. I took Mucinex 2x/day from the very beginning, and I swear it's what kept me out of the hospital (I have trouble with colds almost automatically turning into Pneumonia). It started with a sore throat & fever, and on day 2 I had the full-blown head cold. I started coughing around day 5, and the fever lasted a week. The chest congestion is now easing up. Take care of yourself!

Erin