Palpitations After Eating?

Yes, I notice that as well. I have gastroparesis and get full very quickly so I thought perhaps it was my stomach pushing everything up and causing the palps.

Rene

Yes, I get this. I think one reason could be stimulation of a nerve during the digestion process. Something like that. This is what one dr thought any way as I recall. I notice palpitations about an hour after eating--not all the time, but at times.

I also get tachy for about 10-30 min after eating, especially if high glycemic index foods.

I too get very tachy after eating, especially a big meal, and will get palpitations. I do believe it is related to blood being diverted to the stomach for digestion, though I have also heard it may stimulate the vagus nerve, which heavily influences our heart beats. Plus, digestion just makes the body work a bit harder, and my body always gets tachy when it has to work a little bit!

I use to get this a lot more before my cardio switched my magnesium supplement. I now take SLO-MAG its timed release and actually must LESS than I was taking before but it worked like a charm to knock out those post-pranial palps.

I also tend to take 2 ounces of aloe vera papaya juice after eating to help digestion.

Good luck finding something that helps.

I too get palpitations after eating, and the fuller the meal the worse the reaction. When I go back to VA to visit my parents, I usually gain weight chomping down my mom's great cooking and all the foods that are availible there and not here (like certain veggies and fruits and most types of fish that I like). I also experience extreme post-meal bloating, which has actually sent me unconscious twice! (For 3-hour, completely comma-like periods.) I think it's vascular laxity in the gut cavity...there are major arteries in there, and autonomic nerves signal blood distribution changes to redirect more blood to the gut during digestion, and less blood gets to the head in that time. I think mine just basically sends everything there if I eat too much :P

This is normal. Most people(healthy and unhealthy) will have a increased heart rate after eating. It has to do with the fact your body uses increased energy to digest food. I think for pots patients it is simply more noticable and a slightly higher heart rate.

Also the more calories you eat the greater this will be. If you eat several small meals a day you might never have a problem with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have palpitations everytime i eat something.I also feel like i can't breath and my hands sweat if i eat a bit more than i should.I've had these symptoms for 2 years and after a test in the hospital(gastroscopy) they told me it's diaphragmatic hernia.(I also have acid reflux).What was weird about the whole case is that i have a normal weight and i never had problems with my stomach until i was 25.My doctor told me that diaphragmatic hernia appears in obese people or it is a birth defect.This was not the case with me.Have you checked you stomach?i ve noticed that many POTS patients have GERD or other similar problems.

Eating sets off my palpitations also and makes me more light-headed and likely to have an episode of syncope if I try walking anywhere for any distancc. The old post-prandial thing is not fun.

We are not weird, it is a manifestation of our disorder. Unfortunately.

Taking magnesium is very interesting. I know taking it helps my leg pain and sometimes reduces my palpitations. Something to add to my list of dr. questions.

Thanks for posting this Mrs.B