Traveling With Pots

AndreaC

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with NCS and POTS 8 months ago. I have been on a various meds, but I have not seen much improvement on my current meds and are sending me to Vandy to see Dr. Cherdak. I am off my meds in preparation for testing at Vandy. I am always dizzy, unless I am laying down. If I try and stand up my leggs turn blue within a few minutes and presyncope conditions kick in.

I am wondering how those of you who have had to travel, handle the trip. It is 6 hours from middle GA to Vandy.

When I went from the middle of Missouri to Vandy, Hubby drove and I sat in the passenger seat.... We have a 1994 Suzuki and the seat reclines so I was able to lie down, or just sit up and put my feet on the dash. I was able to change positions frequently so the trip wasn't too bad... We just hit every rest area between here and there!

I carry Lysol wipes with me for toilet seats since I'm not too good at "hovering" these days.

I don't seem to travel very well, but lying back in your passenger seat with your feet up certainly helps. Also, make sure you stay hydrated, nibble on salty foods and Gatorade (or NUUN, G2, Elixir by Camelbak, are other good, lighter options), and stop at the rest areas to stretch - and use the facilities! I have to plan that the day after we arrive I have a 'rest day', too. I think driving is easier than flying, though, as long as you have some else as the designated driver.

Good luck,

Jana

I always wear compression hose and abdominal compression while travelling. This helps to keep as much blood from pooling. I also recline my seat and put my feet up on the dashboard. It's not a safe way to travel, but without doing that travel wouldn't be possible at all. When I can no longer be in a reclined position I lie down flat on the back bench of the van.

I hope your trip goes well for you.

Rachel