Good Appointment With New Gi Doc

janiedelite

I saw a new GI doc today. My abdominal pain and nausea have been slowly worsening. I'm pretty much eating a white diet, no fiber, small meals, but haven't taken meds except for protonix which only helps a little, and colace for constipation which doesn't do much. I've had a motility study that showed high-normal gastric motility, very slow small intestinal emptying, and slow-normal colonic emptying.

So she decided to try to treat the "lower end" first and start with milk of mag, and if that doesn't help then miralax. As far as the nausea and abdominal pain, I'm going to start mestinon next week after I see my neurologist. She's hoping that will help my overall dysmotility. She said if I don't get relief from my nausea and left upper quadrant pain with the mestinon that she'll start me on dromperidone (sp?).

She also is starting me on a gastroparesis diet, even though I'm pretty much already doing that myself. And the great part of the visit is that she wants to work in collaboration with my neurologist in order to get me the best symptom control. Isn't that great?

So my question for you all (because you're the experts :) ) is why does following a gastroparesis diet help if my dysmotility is in my small intestine? Just curious. I keep doing it because I've found that it works, but sometimes I just really crave a plate of veggies!

The treatment & symptoms of small bowel dysmotility and gastroparesis are identical. That's probably why your GI wants you to keep up with the GP diet. Don't give up on veggies, just cook them really well or puree them. I couldn't live without my veggies- just avoid the crunch. Do you have a pressure cooker- quick, easy, flavorful way to prepare them.

Your doc has lots of great ideas. One thing, before you try domperidone (not FDA approved or avaiable in the US- not because it's bad, just because it's not profitable for drug companies) why not try a trial of pediatric erythromycin first. Ery-Ped suspension works wonders for many. It;s FDA approved, benign and cheap. Just a thought.

Let us know how you do with your new regimen-

Julie

One thing, before you try domperidone (not FDA approved or avaiable in the US- not because it's bad, just because it's not profitable for drug companies) why not try a trial of pediatric erythromycin first. Ery-Ped suspension works wonders for many. It;s FDA approved, benign and cheap.

Thanks, Julie. I was actually think about erythromycin while she was talking. But I was feeling so foggy that day and she talked really fast. It was all I could do to hear the words she was saying. I will ask her about it when I call to update her in a couple weeks. She did mention that the hospital pharmacy did carry domperidone, so that was good news.

hi thankful

im having problems with my bowels at the moment too, so next time i see the consultant at the end of the month i will mention it.

i have been on domperidone since may. before that i was in an awful state with nausea. i dropped two stone, 24 pounds. i take 30g per day and wouldnt be without it.

although i had tried other nausea drugs before and they havent worked, so different drugs for different people.

i hope you start to feel better soon.

emma.

x

One thing, before you try domperidone (not FDA approved or avaiable in the US- not because it's bad, just because it's not profitable for drug companies) why not try a trial of pediatric erythromycin first. Ery-Ped suspension works wonders for many. It;s FDA approved, benign and cheap.

Thanks, Julie. I was actually think about erythromycin while she was talking. But I was feeling so foggy that day and she talked really fast. It was all I could do to hear the words she was saying. I will ask her about it when I call to update her in a couple weeks. She did mention that the hospital pharmacy did carry domperidone, so that was good news.

VERY GOOD NEWS, about the Domperidone. I have never heard of it being available in the US..... Has the FDA approved it after all??? I'd still try the "E" first- kind of like prokinetic training wheels :(

Julie