New From The Netherlands

lisette

Hi,

My name is Lisette and I live in the Netherlands.

First let me say that I'm sorry for you all that you have POTS.

I am now 38 years old and my healthproblems started since I was 29 years old. At that time, I didn't know what was wrong with me.

But a miracle happened and after three years I got significant better. I was so happy. The beautiful side of being ill is getting better.

I appreciated even the small things of life. But I had one big wish: having a child.

In July 2005 our wonderful son was born. So far everyting seemed to be OK. But I wanted a second child. I got pregnant in 2007 and then my life changed dramatically. I got major healthproblems again, I couldn't stand, I was so dizzy and felt so ill.

After 3 month pregnancy I lost the baby, but my health didn't improve. I was in very bad shape and was hospitalised in Amsterdam.

There, I was diagnosed with POTS. What a relief, it finally had a name!

The doctors told me that physical exercise is very important. I'm now following an exerciseprogram to strengthen my muscles, drink a lot of water and eat salt.

Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't give me any medication. I have to do it on my own. Actually POTS is nog really treated with priority in the Netherlands.

The exercise program makes me feel worse. I am bedbound most of the time.

That's my story in a nutshell. I'm so glad I found you. Are there more members from the Netherlands?

I wish you all the best.

Lisette

sorry to read about your history of health issues. The one good thing about this forum is that you don't have to live close to someone, don't have to leave the house, or you don't have to even leave your bed there is always someone on this forum. You can talk to someone anytime, ask questions, relieve your frustration and find support. I wish you the best and I certainly hope there is someone close to you in the Netherlands in which you could support one another in your journey. My family roots come from the Netherlands, both sets of grandparents came over to the US.

Maggie

Hi.

Welcom! Just wanted to add htat POTS is not treated with a high priority here in the US either!! But we do have each other here!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your baby. I had 3 miscarraiges myself. It seems any stress on the body doesn't seem to help POTS or any other autoimmune disorder.

I had Guiilain Barre Syndrome in 2001 and almost died. I recovered for the most part. Then last year I had been underr terrile stress, got a virus and got POTS...it is as if my nervous system just sort of short circuts.

it is too bad that thyey won't guve you beta blockers...thye saved my life...I can do so much more on them.

Exercise is my friend and I try to exercise and push myself to do as much "normal life" stuff as possible. I hate feeling so sick afterwards but I know I have to try to retrain my body....this at least helps me feel as something might help!!

Anyhway.welcome. I am Dutch by the way and spent 6 months in Amsterdam as a kid!

Erika

Hi Lisette,

Nice to know that I'm not the only one in the Netherlands. I'm sorry to hear that your diagnose took so long and that you had a miscarriage.

Hopefully you will recover soon. What hospital and doc are treating you?

Good luck with your treatment and hopefully we will be cured soon. I'll send you a PM with my contact details. Maybe we can chat once in our native language.

Micave

Hi Lisette,

I am so sorry to hear about the suffering and loss you have been through. Your husband and son must be such a blessing and source of motivation in your life! I am glad that you found us here on the forum. Welcome! I hope that you will find guidance and support. I look forward to seeing your posts.

~ Broken_Shell :)

Hi Lisette~

Another big welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing your very personal story with us. I am sorry you've had to go through such hardships in your life already. You'll find a lot of information and support here with us. There's almost always someone who's had a similar experience or symptoms that you've had. You will know you are not alone anymore. Hope to see you post often.

I have relatives from Germany/Switzerland, but haven't been back in way too long...

Cheers,

Jana