Swine Flu Paranoia!!!

MamaTrain

So what's the consensus here? Should POTSies get the H1N1 shot or the flu shot? I got the flu shot years ago before being diagnosed.

I got my shot on Friday (H1N1). I got the regular flu shot about a month ago. My children are getting the spray tomorrow.

Fevers are bad for us so that's one reason to get the shot. Also I have had pneumonia in the past- i don't want it again.

When I get sick... it is really bad. I'd rather have the flu shot then take the extra meds I might need if I got sick.

Also my ob/gyn gave me the shot. It was free. They have it b/c pregnant women are high risk.

Anyway, I am all for the shot. I have enough physical problems without a flu- in addition I think some of the worse flares I have had were set off by drug reactions or from illness. kari

Ideally almost everyone should get the shot (from what I have read and been told by medical experts). Unfortunately it appears there will be a shortage of dosages available in the coming weeks-months. I think anyone with an underlying medical condition that would make them more vulnerable to complications should and will be prioritized.

I asked my cardio about H1N1 and he said to wait and see the side effects, availability, etc. I've gotten the same advice from 2 docs in a row. I also keep asking people - my dental hygenist, physical therapist, etc. and noone seems to be getting it...so I am not worrying about it for now!

I saw my PC today and she advised me not to get the H1N1 shot. She said as I'm 56 that I should have built up some antibodies to it already as it has been around for a very long time as I'm old enough. The other factor is that I'm so allergic to things she is afraid of what would happen if I got the shot.

I think it's important for everyone to talk to their docs and decide what is the best option for them. What is right for me may not be right for you. So this is what I'm going to do as I trust her judgement, as I'm allergic to almost everything.

bellamia~

My husband and I pulled our 3 boys our of school last Mon. There was no H1N1 in our small private school yet, but it just hit our county. I am homeschooling all three of them (what an adventure!) One of my sons has asthma and I have it too. I don't tolerate asthma meds except inhaled steroids and don't tolerate most antibiotics. We decided this was the safest route for now.

We do plan on getting the shot when it becomes available. After it kicks in, the boys will probably return to school. Our youngest is 7. I think he will need to get two shots several weeks apart. I heard that if the child is under ten they will need two shots.

I was worried about the same things with the H1N1 that all of you are. There are two vaccines for the H1N1...the first is a nasal spray with a live virus. The second is the shot with the dead virus. It is reccomended that people who have health problems recieve the shot. I know that it is not avalible yet for most people, but I did get my H1N1 since I work one on one with patients at a hospital. I recieved this shot on Thursday of last week and have been feeling fine since. I was worried, but after reading the info provided before the shot and talking to the nurse who was giving it out, I decided it would be in my best interest to go ahead with it.

I wish all a healthy flu season.

Shelby

One of my co-workers has a suspected H1N1 infection. She's doing fine, but, ugh.

This info was sent to everyone at work today. I thought it might be of interest, so passing it on. I am going to try the gargling and nasal irrigation. I suppose it can't hurt.

Katherine

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe, etc.).

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt).. *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

I had swine flu in June and I did a post about it in June about how it was and what helped me. I don't remember all that I said, but I had a grocery list of things that I really needed. I'm going to look it up and get stocked up again.

We have major and detailed plans in the hospital and at our Manager's meeting this week they said that scientists have found that this flu actually turns your immune system against you. The stronger your immune system, the stronger you will fall. I haven't looked for written substantiation of that, I think the results are awfully preliminary. They suggested that it may change the way they treat sick patients. I don't think anyone knows what that will look like yet. Pretty spooky.

One thing about my post that we found out later was that my K+ was at a dangerous level. I would urge anyone on florinef to get a potassium check after you're allowed back into civilization. It probably accounted for me feeling so, so bad.

Well, with the swine flu around, egg nog is looking not so dangerous!

Kitsa

hi everyone..

I am sorry but have not been abel to read the hole tread.. Here they have starded to give the swine flue v to cronicall ill.. I have asked my gp and my only spesialist, but i am not in the high risk group they say, because pots is not an organic illnes or something .. This was the same cardio that said i should stay fare fare away from 3-world countrys because of pots..

This dys/pots thing keeps me confused, and not having docs whit much knowlegd doesnt help.. And the fun part is that docs dont belive in info from internett either so...

But i dont know if i would take it either.. I have gotten ill from shots in the past so... i am ust confused about well everything i gess....=)

Just noticed that arthritis has been added to the "at risk" groups somewhat recently (Oct 15th):

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/groups.htm

There must be some here with Sjogren's, SLE (lupus), spondyloarthropathies or other systemic arthritic condition either related or incidental to your dysautonomia. Figured I'd give a heads up that CDC now puts those in "higher risk" and "should get vaccine shot (not live mist)" category which might give guidance or allow earlier vaccine availability perhaps... or might convince a doc to prescribe an anti-viral more easily if circumstances arise.

I had been more familiar with the expected complications like asthma... but didn't personally realize arthritis or diabetes would come up too.

For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward getting the vac now after being ardently-indifferent for some time and never having bothered with a flu shot before. I'm just getting over a cold which has not been too bad but reminds me how nasty a bad flu can be especially with a compounding condition... and as my body seems to be having more "weird stuff" happen (like needing albuterol occasionally, and now loss of tears) I "feel" more vulnerable overall. Plus I don't want to be a "sic(k) transit" fellow :)

I guess now I am probably supposed to wait until I'm totally over my cold before getting a vaccine???

I will get a flu shot (if they ever come available here!) and the H1N1 if I can. I sat through a symposium (online - so I "sat" in my recliner!) comparing this to the Spanish Flu in 1918. It seems the thing these 2 have in common that makes them different is that H1N1 actually attacks immune system directly and this is why it makes people so susceptible to the pneumonia. The pneumonia that is coming on post-viral and causing the majority of deaths is staphylococcus pneumonia and since there is an already existing and time-tested vaccine for it, they strongly advised getting it.

My last pneumonia vaccine was in 2003 so I was overdue - I high-tailed it to the doctor's office and got it.

SO... I believe this is something to consider if you can't do a flu shot.