Can Someone Explain To Me Why Ritalin Is A Treatment For Pots?

Hey guys,

I was reading the wikipedia entry on Ritalin today and noticed that the first line says that it is a treatment for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, specifically. I was kind of surprised to see that. I always thought us POTS people took it just for more energy, since we're mostly tired. But it was saying it was a -treatment-. I'm a little ignorant about it and I tried to look up some info on specifically how Ritalin is supposed to help us rather than harm us, but I can't find anything that hits the nail on the head. I also did a forum search and see that a lot of us take it, but I can't see anything explaining all the benefits it gives us.

Is Ritalin prescribed to us just as a pick-me-up to counter some of the draining symptoms, or is there another use of it that treats the POTS itself (like the BP or any of the other tricky stuff that makes POTS unique)?

And my other question, since I'm so scared of Ritalin, is wouldn't it give me a heart attack because I can't even handle caffeine or any other stims without getting a horrible dose of tachycardia?

Ohhh I see. That makes sense. Is that the only effect? I actually have some ritalin but I had always been too scared to take it, but you're right... I shouldn't risk it if I can't do coffee.

melissa,

i started ritalin to help me stay awake during the day. i would fall asleep in my chair, while sitting at the dinnertable in the car etc. i slept most of the day and couldn?t keep myself awake. when i started it the first time i stopped after one week because it gave me terrible headaches. one or two years later i tried again as i didn?t want to live falling asleep all the time. and it worked. i felt as if the curtains got pulled up and i was much more alert. so for me it was a big improvement. good luck in deciding what to do!

take care,

corina :rolleyes:

oh btw i AM a coffee drinker, can?t do without it!

I take 10mg of adderall every morning with my other medications. It help tremendously! I have been taking it for about year, Dr.Grubb prescribed it originally...however I was taking midrodrine for years before I started the adderall and they are the same chemical makeup. I think the difference is the ritalin has more uppers? Now I take the adderall xr (extended release) in the morning and then when I feel like it is starting to wear off (usually around 12-1pm) I started with 10mg of midrodrine and take that every 3 hours for the rest of the day. I can absolutely feel when its been 3 hours or is getting close. I haven't noticed that either the adderall or midrodrine has made my tachycardia worse and some days a cup of coffee makes me feel slightly better, some days it makes me feel really really sick... so I usually have 2-3 cups per week.

A few years ago I was taken Equasym (the same as Ritalin, but then in extended release capsules), because they thought that I maybe had ADD (I hadn't ADD, but still had to try those medicins). I had to take a really high dosage (80 mg a day), but I get only more brainfog and couldn't think normal anymore. I don't know if my tachy was better on the Equasym, because at that time I didn't knew yet that I have POTS. But I didn't feel good when I was taken it.

Midodrine is similar to ritalin, but Midodrine does not cross the BBB (Blood brain barrier) so it does not give you the jitters. Everything else does...other stimulant pills or coffee etc.

Many can take old fashioned, low dose amphetamines as they are MUCH CHEAPER than midodrine but if you have really high HR and get the shakes from adrenalin, not good idea.

I need coffee in the morning but could not drink it nonstop all day but SOME can thus coffee is their own 'midodrine or ritalin' substitute. Whatever works. :(