My Experiment Has Begun - Are You Interested In Trying This?

futurehope

Okay, folks....After reading the post on excess hydrogen sulfide in the gut, and it's possible detrimental effects, I went to Costo and bought some Align, a probiotic.

I will let you know.

I do know that once I started another probiotic, about 6 months to a year ago, my interstitial cystitis problems decreased.

I think in my case my gut affected my bladder, and I will now experiment to see what else.

Anyone else on here interested in experimenting?

I can't use any probiotic(pill or yogurt forum) as I am already bloated and if I take it I HORRIBLY BLOAT for weeks. If I could breath okay while bloated I wouldn't mind, but it makes me short of breath. I am the poster-child of SIBO, and asked a doctor about 6 years ago to test it, and he claimed I was negative. I'm not sure I believe that.

Sue

what's SIBO ?

I have found probiotics to be of no benefit when I tried them many, many years ago..they were pricey then! Came in liquid form and a freeze dried version that allegedly with stood stomach acid that could ruin the liquid version. :) we are going back many years ! ha

so thus no need to feel I wanna try them now. Very trendy but up to individuals whether to help or not.

Also if you do NOT have gut issues, many have said they can start them. They ain't lyin' :)

I find eating, "Stoneyfield Yogurt," is better than taking any of those pills. They now make a greek yogurt that is wonderful. I always feel much better eating lots of it than taking probiotics. I know some people can't take milk products, but if you are able give it a try.

I just put up a post the other day. I am thinking of trying VSL #3 probiotic. My GI doctor recommended it, but I believe that you need a prescription to get it.

Here is the website:

www.vsl3.com

~ Broken_Shell :)

My son & I have been taking Culturelle (much cheaper than Align) for years. Autonomic dysfunctions can slow GI motility. When that's slow, your waste sits in the GI tract for too long and increases your "bad" bacteria. Culturelle puts "good" bacteria in your GI tract and neutralizes the bad side effects of the slowed GI tract. It really helps!

Julie

According to the hydrogensulphide and d-lacticacidtheory, I know a few probiotics that prof de meirleir regularly prescribes: Enterol, Lacteol, Mutaflor ad VSL-3. So i think that those probiotics don't produce lactic acid. But some of them do contain lactose. I'm diary intolerant, but I don't have problems with those probiotics, I think it's just a really small amount of lactose/milk in the probiotics.

I took the 'Activia Challenge' and made it for 6 days before I couldn't take any more bloating or nausea. I usually don't do well with dairy, though. I hate yogurt as a general rule, but found I liked the strawberry Activia. It just didn't like me. I have chronic constipation so was trying a different remedy, (along with magnesium so I could get off the Senna). No go (no pun intended!) I guess there are quite a few people who have had problems with this product.

Good luck!

Jana

• 2 weeks later...

One week after switching from Probiotic acidophilus (purchased at General Nutrition Center) 2X/day, to Align from Costco 1X/day, my bowels are now constipated. I've done an experiment and worsened my gut activity.

I really need to do something at this point, and I'll probably keep taking the Align, but also go back to my 2 Probiotic Acidophilus a day and hope I haven't permanently destroyed my necessary gut flora.

As for POTS improvement, it's hard to tell. I do not have objective data as to anything improving or worsening (except for the constipation....ugh!)

I'm still continuing the acidophilus stuff. Going fine. I get "green poopies" kind of like if I'd been going heavy on the salads (which I do sometimes but not recently), which is interesting... makes me wonder if I'm cultivating a nice garden in there somewhere! :)

I'm afraid due to other circumstances I've radically changed many other key things in my regime so there is no hope of knowing if this probiotic is helping me in isolation. For me, thus far, no ill effects and it does happen that I've had better stamina lately (but again other things involved including med changes). I do tend to have a solid, regular and adaptable gut and only few/minor digestive issues (knock on wood).

I also happen to take a decent bit of magnesium (my intent is for energy support) which has reputation for promoting bowel movement I think. I happen to take 250mg once or twice a day... I think I sometimes get an associated "extra BM" after the mag pills so I've tried to time them cautiously (plus NUUN has some mag in it too, I think).

I find the acidophilus to be compatible with where I'm at right now... and maybe a little helpful. I get the subjective sense that I'm less "reactive" to foods than I was before... but again other changes going on including being tied up in things and less "self-monitoring" going on.

I saw Align for $30 at WalMart (maybe even cheaper than Costco) so I'll probably give a trial of that too. I hope I don't end up with the constipation too... sorry that happened to you futurehope... but perhaps with my magnesium that will balance out.