Immunology Questions

One of the many tests that were done recently was an immunology (serum) profile. I have not looked into any of this yet, but I know that many of you have experience with these things. I have a rough idea of what IGA and IGG are, but what are Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta, Gamma, Kappa and Lambda?

My IGA and IGG are low but within normal limits, but the others are sitting at the bottom of their reference interval or waaaaaay below it :unsure: (Kappa and Lambda particularly.)

Does any of that mean anything at all? :huh:

One of the many tests that were done recently was an immunology (serum) profile. I have not looked into any of this yet, but I know that many of you have experience with these things. I have a rough idea of what IGA and IGG are, but what are Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta, Gamma, Kappa and Lambda?

My IGA and IGG are low but within normal limits, but the others are sitting at the bottom of their reference interval or waaaaaay below it :unsure: (Kappa and Lambda particularly.)

Does any of that mean anything at all? :huh:

I believe those would be Greek letters. :P :P

Wish it were Greek to me. My IgG is so low- 525 last test (750-1,600 normal) that I may have to face IVIG therapy if I dip below 500 again. My IgA is always low/normal- not as dramatic. Now those other tests really are foreign to me. I'm not aware that I've even had those tested. They check my IgG, IgA, IgE and IgM. Within the IgG category, there are subclasses. I have found that my 1 and 3 are the culprits.

I've read some medical literature that implicates low IgG and IgA to CFS. Apparently, the lowered immune system affects one's overall health.

Jennifer, you are one smart cookie. I KNOW you can research those other tests and figure out their pertinence. Let us know whatever you learn- I'm interested.

Julie

OK Julie, I was waiting on a new computer modem and my husband to finish "fixing" the computer to do my digging, but here's what I found so far:

There are several atypical (zebra) reasons for a reduced GFR in a normally "healthy" patient: amyloidosis and myeloma, he was looking for them.

"Myeloma is a cancer of a type of white blood cells called plasma cells. These cells come from the bone marrow and produce antibodies (or immunoglobulin) that are important in fighting infections. In myeloma, the abnormal plasma cells produce too much of one type of immunoglobulin called the M-protein. M-proteins crowd out all the other normal bone marrow cells, which eventually leads to the symptoms of myeloma.

The M-protein is made up of two types of molecules: heavy chain molecules and light chain molecules. For reasons we don't yet understand, the body produces more light chain molecules than it needs, so there are always free light chain molecules circulating in your blood. As abnormal myeloma cells produce more and more M-proteins, the level of free light chain molecules rises in the blood. A relatively new test called the serum free light chain assay, or free light assay, allows your doctor to monitor the status of your disease with a simple blood test. "

"serum light chains are cleared renally--so patients with reduced GFR will have increased values of both kappa and lambda light chain. Thus, for patients with CKD it is essential to look at the kappa:lambda free light chain ratio in order to detect a paraproteinemia."

Obviously, if mine are low, I have neither disorder. He tested my GFR with a 24 hour urine Creatinine Clearance test which came back normal, so along with the other scans means no kidney impairment. :lol:

However, if BOTH kappa and lambda are low it should mean that I have a bone marrow deficiency of some sort, usually anemia...but my hematocrit and hemoglobin are both high (above normal) so that doesn't explain itself either...unless I'm very hypovolemic. And around and around it goes............. <_<

Hiya!

So, I am not really sure about what all of them mean, but I have had some of that testing... I have never really got an answer to what my abnormal results mean. So, after all your research Firewatcher you can tell me! :lol:

My IgG is normal. Serum Lamda light chains are low, and the Kappa/Lambda ratio is high.

Where that leaves me, I don't know... <_<

Just a fancy way of saying I am anemic???

Whatcha think? :)

Hiya!

So, I am not really sure about what all of them mean, but I have had some of that testing... I have never really got an answer to what my abnormal results mean. So, after all your research Firewatcher you can tell me! :lol:

My IgG is normal. Serum Lamda light chains are low, and the Kappa/Lambda ratio is high.

Where that leaves me, I don't know... <_<

Just a fancy way of saying I am anemic???

Whatcha think? :)

I found the assay makers results chart and a good explanation at:

http://www.freelite.co.uk/interpretationofresults-27.asp

All I do know is that it is an immune system marker and that the Lambda and Kappa light chains are the precursors of IGA, IGG, etc. and that they are specific to blood and bone disorders. The BIG exception may be us: dysautonomiacs--since we have blood volume issues, any serum assay results may be completely skewed!

So, the grid puts me in the monoclonal gammopathy with bone marrow suppression category. Whatever that means...? I googled it, but it still looks like if you are anemic, it is more likely to be anemia than anything else.

The other thing I did notice is it can indicate Waldenstrom's Macroglobinemia which my grandfather had and made him quite sick most of his life. But, I had been told before that my tests did not point in that direction. So, I don't think that is the issue with me, but it does kinda keep popping up in some of my research... But, there is also the question to whether or not he was properly diagnosed?

Not sure...Who knows...Maybe one of my new drs (if I ever get any) will have a clue.

:)