Cfs And Pots

sallyB

futurhope,

I'm sorry to hear you landed in the emergency room when you tried the treatment of that alternative doctor.

Yes it's really difficult to decide what to do, I don't want to quit to soon and that I didn't give it a good try, but I also don't want to damage my body.

Yes, I'll let you know what I decide to do!

Daphne

I just wanted to weigh in one more time, especially to those of you who are skeptical . I do think there is something here- I do think that most dysautonomia patients could benefit from a probiotic. That said, I am not buying the idea that the SIBO causes the autonomic dysfunction (although it bears more research.) I suspect that the dysautonomia causes the GI tract to slow down and the subsequent conditions are perfect for a SIBO to develop. I know that many here, myself & my son included, had GI symptoms precede their autonomic dysfunction DX.....but isn't it more likely that we HAD the underlying dysautonomia (and it was just unDXed) before the GI symptoms?

Also, I wonder about the complicated antibiotic regimen that Daphne describes :rolleyes:. We use a relatively short dose of Xifaxcin here in the US for a quick SIBO treatment. Flagyll used to be the treatment of choice, but Xifaxcin has fewer side effects. Why would all of those different antibiotics be necessary?

And, I suspect that there are MANY different probiotics that are helpful. Culturelle works wonder for us. We use it daily & NO SIBO's since :).

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention AND I'm very happy you found a creative, supportive, understanding doctor, who is willing to think outside of the box. They are very rare indeed & you are very lucky to have such support.

Julie

This is just another 1 of maybe 200+ theories out there on the root cause of the loose entity terms 'CFS' and a fringe one at that.

Most of the good research on CFS and related disorders now days is concentrating on the autonomic and nervo-vasocular system where testable abnormalities are nearly always present.

Yes, good point.....but the HIGH number of CFS and dyautonomia patients with slow GI tracts (just look at the # on our forum!) and subsequent SIBO's is hard to ignore and certainly lend some credence to this theory.