Had my x-rays...and I get stranger

MightyMouse

Okay folks, I had my kidney/bladder/ureter x-rays today. The wierdest thing is that on all of them, there appears to be a surgical clip in my lower, right abdomen, below my hip bone...and on the opposite side from where I had my bone harvest...I've never had any procedures in that area. I did have an exploratory laparoscopy, but no clips were used. I had my gallbladder out, but those clips are in my upper right chest. Strange!!! Maybe one dislodged and found it's way south??? I dunno?

Aside from that, there are two bright spots that could be something like stones--who knows--but I'll bring them to my urologist and see what happens.

Nina, that is awful. If it is not a surgical clip what could it possible be???? If it is, it might explain some of the pain you have had for some time but isn't the only way to remove it surgery? Oh, my....what disturbing news this must be for you.

When do you see your doctor next?

Surgical clips are non-magnetic--they're titanium, which is also supposed to be non-reactive within the body. I know I had several clipping off my former attachments to the gallbladder that no long is wihtin my body. They're used traditionally to clamp off larger vessels, ducts, etc. In all likelihood, if I had a "bleeder" during my laparoscopy, it would have been "bovied" (burned) shut. BTW, it helps to have a seasoned surgical tech living with me. :)

Yeah, it's a bit disturbing to see the clip--it's definitely on the right side, just below my hip line. Typically, even if one moved, it shouldn't cause problems unless 1) the original spot it clipped leaks or 2) it becomes hung up in a spot that obstructs some other organ from functioning correctly.

Nina :P

Guest Julia59

Maybe it is on the side of the bone harvest. The x-ray image is opposite---isn't it?

Keep in mind my brain isn't working too well tonight------------- :)

I'm sure you have already thought of that------------dingy me...........

Julie :0)

Guest Julia59

I have gone through metal detectors and had many MRI with my titanium plate in my neck. Titanium is a different kind of material altogether.

I hope you get this resolved Nina------and I hope you feel better soon. Not nice to see something like that and not be sure how it got there.

Hey again Julia, I just went back and double checked--the clip is definitely on the RIGHT side, not the left. I can see the missing hunk of bone quite clearly on the left side of my hip/iliac crest (for those who don't know me well, that's where a piece was taken out and placed in my spine at c5-6 to replace a broken donor bone graft). High on the right, you can clearly see a cluster of clips from my gallbladder surgery that was done in 1995. Teri was in on that procedure, so I know that the lower clip didn't arrive then. The only other option would be during the laparoscopy that was done in 2002--and again, Teri operated with that surgeon for a few years and felt he would have told her if he had to do something like a clip...that's a rare event for him. He's expected to call me within about a week from now to follow up on the 3 biopsies he took, so I can ask him first hand.

As for when the next appointment is, I have to call the urologist tomorrow--I wasn't supposed to call them until I had the films done and in-hand. I figure it'll be within a week or two.

I really don't have time for all this pain, poking, prodding, etc.!!! My comprehensive examination for my doctoral program is 11/20 and I need to hunker down and study every possible second--and I'm still taking a statistics class and doing two apprenticeships in addition to my f/t job. I'm so exhausted. I promise to share if I find a miracle solution to my lack of energy, concentration, etc!! :) I feel like I need a nap from the moment I pry myself out of bed.

Nina

Guest Julia59

WEll Nina,

I just don't know what to say---other then I wish for you to get though all of this Ok, and for you to get though your examination for your doctoral program without over stressing yourself too much.

You are such a busy girl, I don't know how you do it. If anything this will make you even stronger then you already are.

And they need to find out what the heck that thing is in your right side. Hopefully after you see the Urologist you'll get a better idea of whats going on with that.

Hang on-------it will get better-----and spoil yourself when you get a chance.

Hi Nina,

since I'm having "a little" brain fog, I'm having a little dificulty with translating everything you wrote (and typing this for you) so I'll stick to just let you know I'm thinking of you and feeling sorry for all the trouble you have. I REALLY hope things work out well for you, best wishes,

Corina