Alternating chills/sweats

goldicedance

Oh, my, yes! I've had loads and loads of bloodwork - mono, Lyme, HIV, etc., etc. - and nothing is ever found. Even though my thyroid tests also usually come back 'normal' when I've had these alternating sweats/chills, I'm more and more convinced it has something to do with either fluctuations in thyroid hormones (I have Hashimoto's Disease - autoimmune hypothyroidism) or yet another lovely side effect of having a hyper-responsive autonomic nervous system. If my heart rate and blood pressure sometimes behave poorly, I figure my temperature regulation mechanisms can also malfunction.

One thing is for sure: I'll have no idea when I actually enter menopause, since I will have become so accustomed to hot flashes, night sweats, and the like!

Good luck in managing this!

RunnerGirl

Yep, I get that with any type of bacterial infection... it's a sure sign that I'm sick with the night sweats kick in. I had them the entire time I struggeled with bronchitis/pneumonia/sinusitis two years ago.

Nina :)

I've always had temperature issues, especially the cold. But it's gotten much worse lately. I alternate between sweating and freezing/goosebumps at work, even though the temp is always set at 70. Lately I've been wearing my winter coat inside to keep warm, which I am sure looks ridiculous. My temp tolerance is worse when my POTS is flaring up, so it must be related.

goldiedance!

yes, yes, yes!

i am always alternating b/w chills and sweats. i am 29...but my mom teases me b/c i get night sweats like i'm going through menopause.

my problems with chills and sweats worsen with the intensity of the "potshole" that i am in. the worse my other pots symptoms are, the worse i am with temperature regulation.

i sweat through my clothes and it is so embarrassing. and any exertion or excitement enduces sweats. then, as i get too wiped i start to get the chills. (i.e. talking on the phone with a friend...i will start out sweating, then proceed to get the chills).

i don't have any good tips. my chills and sweats are not related to whether or not i have an infection or anything. i get them anyway. but, of course worse if something else is going on.

i have HEATED EVERYTHING! i am comical. heated slippers, heated neck wrap, heated hand thingies, electric blanket, hot water bottle, you name it! the other day i had all my microwavable things on at one time...quite a site!

one thing that is hard for me is that once i get cold, i cannot get warm on my own...i have to have the hot water bottle or slippers or electric blanket. layers of blankets or socks won't do b/c i can't produce the heat myself.

but, then of course, i get hot and wake up sweating. but hey, what are you going to do.

i have not had as much of this lately, thank goodness. but i still am always hot or cold...rarely "just right"....

how's it feeling to be gallbladderless these days? do you think you have any infection or something from that? is this a new symptom for you? for me it has been present from the very beg. so i know it is POTS. but it is worse if i have a cold or something too.

later alligator!

emily

Goldicedance

yes, I'm with you (and others). I can't get my temperature right. I used to take a hot bath every day about noon and got to bed afterwards to stay warm for a couple of hours. Nowadays I can't tolerate the hot bath anymore so I have to take a quick hot shower. I never sweat during the days but at night I'm like in a swimmingpool, I really don't like it. I was diagnosed with menopause when I was 34 but still have very irregular and strange periods. In my last bloodtest my endocrinologist didn't see anything of menopause. I asked my familydoc if I'm getting crazy or something and he said I prbably am (and smiled, we get along together very well). The feeling cold during the day can be very bad, I think I have to read Emily's post again and order some of the heated stuff she has!

Corina

corina...

my favorite are the slippers! do you get cold feet???

i have searched a lot for the "perfect heated slipper"...no i'm not kidding on this one! :(

anyway, a lot of them i don't care for b/c they don't heat the WHOLE foot.

these do, and you can walk around in them.

they seem expensive, but aren't anymore expensive than say a pair of the leather/shearling slippers...wchih don't warm me up! anyway...

it is a canadian company...

www.cosysoles.com

let's just say, i have gotten my money's worth...i wear them EVERY DAY even in the summer in the air conditioning when my feet are cold and the rest of me is hot!

did i say i love them? :)

anyway, if you are interested in any of the other products let me know. but this one is my favorite. as is the hot water bottle...an old fashioned, economical favorite. :) can be used anywhere! feet, hands, tummy...to make it more indulgent you can buy a hot water bottle cover that is soft cotton.

so, i am not getting paid or anything to promote this company. i read about it in a list of other companies that sell heated products for hands and feet. i shopped around all of them, and found this one the most satisfying product. i just want to save other folks the energy of searching endlessly for a product that isn't exactly "mainstream!"

let me know if you get some stuff! :) and how you like it!

emily

I live in layers. No matter what season. I have dozens of tank tops (from formal to simple cotton knits) that I wear with sweaters, blazers, shawls or other shirts. It's not unusual for me during the course of a single conference meeting to take off and put back on my jacket three or four times. Then I get out my velvet gloves ... I know I must look crazy having a sleeves top and gloves on my hands. But anything that helps ....

So yes, hot flashes and chills -- been there, and still doing that.

EM

yep! Described me exactly. I am 23 and get hot flashes. Sometimes I sweat when freezing. I get frequent night sweats. Sometimes I am so cold that I feel like I will never get warm. I have the heating pads and the microwaveable booties and the fleece blanket I wrap around me. I also layer with tank tops on the bottom and heavy thing on top. I love scarves- easily removeable. Fleece socks for bed and wool socks for daytime with a change of socks in my locker. I have many layers of blankets but keep the window open a little in the winter so that I can quick cool down if need be. I get these the most during the week of my period. Also when I am sick.

DancingLight- you and I have so much in common. I am Jewish; I knit; I love movies; I LOVE my Cornish Rex cat Elizabeth Kitty Stanton; I like yoga, but can't do it because of an inappropriately healed broken wrist. I have booties for my feet and everything (mine are from origins). Just thought I would say hi.

-Leah

Emily, you always make me laugh. Really, you are promoting your stuff so very good that for one minute I thought: does she get paid for this or what :P . You wrote it yourself: you don't. I really like your attitude! BTW I thought the microwave was only for cooking: I don't have anything to put in to get heated, you make me very curious. I'm considering the slippers and the electric blanket, alhtough the blanket is difficult because it may take me hours to gt warm, when I AM warm it's like **** :lol: . Well, anyway, I think about it and thank you for making me laugh,

Corina

okay, here goes...those mittens...they carry them at several places. but, i haven't ever seen them cheap (sorry!!!). i sometimes hesitate to post that i have some of these things b/c i feel guilty and want to buy them for all of you too! b/c with this illness...a little bit of comfort goes a long way...!

opus...anyway, i did find a pair i love that heat in the microwave, are heated on both sides, AND they are aromatherapy with cinnamon and clove and stuff. i am at my dad's house for a few days so i don't have the mittens here with me...will have to look at the brand. i do think that i got them from www.gaiam.com, but am sure you can find them cheaper somewhere else. maybe even at like bath and body works? they are getting more popular and i am seeing them in more catalogs lately. will look when i get home.

corina...don't give up on typing! we would miss you too much! i can't imagine though how hard it is with the language barrier! anyway, maybe heating everything up in the microwave is an american thing? we are weird here sometimes! :lol: but, there is all sorts of stuff you can heat in the microwave other than food...and lots of products like heat wraps and stuff. the cultural difference gave me a chuckle...(in a good way!)...it's not something you necessarily think...i wonder if people in other countries heat stuff other than food in their microwaves!?

well, i am off...i am pooped.

later alligators.

emily

opus...oh poop...i just looked on gaiam.com and those things are like $48 and they aren't even the scented ones. they look diff. though than the ones i have. will try to remember again to look at home! i guess i got them for a gift! oh, and i don't like those booties! they are only heated part of the way....so not worth the splurge!

emily

p.s. i hope this makes you all laugh...my dog is lying next to me and he has some seriously bad gas tonight! stinky! :lol:

Thanks, Emily! I didn't find the item on that site, but it's a very cool site - I'll have to go back and window shop when I have time!

I did find something at http://www.dwquailgolf.com/access/hothands...ds_mittens.html. Has anybody used these? I'm wondering if those little heat packs give enough warmth.

opus...

i used to use those things for football games when i was still "healthy" but had such cold hands and was in the marching band. i didn't have the mittens but did have the hot packs. they sell them at any outdoor/camping store. yes, they get super hot/warm, but aren't that big of an area. also they can be exspencsive since they are a one-time use thing and well, they aren't super-environmental if you are concerned about that. i think those are meant more for outside use...?

the mittens i have are just more for indoor comfort. they were under i think "spa mittens" or something. there was a spot for health stuff and then massage products i think. not sure. you will find them. they have spa mittens and spa booties.

i gotta go...off to the doctor, but will write again when i find those mittens of mine.

emily

Guest Mary from OH

All the heated stuff you can make yourself. You can even add herbs or oils you enjoy. You just use rice. You can heat it in the microwave. For different body parts, white tube socks are great. You could make mittens by buying two pairs of cotton/knit mittens, one X-large and one that fits. Put rice in between the two layers. Sew them together. You then can heat them in the microwave as needed. You can add lavendar or any herb or oil you would like when you make it too.

:0)

Good Luck!!

Guest Mary from OH

All the heated stuff you can make yourself. You can even add herbs or oils you enjoy. You just use rice. You can heat it in the microwave. For different body parts, white tube socks are great. You could make mittens by buying two pairs of cotton/knit mittens, one X-large and one that fits. Put rice in between the two layers. Sew them together. You then can heat them in the microwave as needed. You can add lavendar or any herb or oil you would like when you make it too.

:0)

Good Luck!!

I have some heated herbal packs which I use every day, one which I got at Bed, Bath & Beyond and the other from one of those carts in the middle of the mall. The BBB one was only $10, but it doesn't stay warm as long. The mall one is awesome, and it's made by heavenstherapy.com. I want more products from them, but I'm too cheap to pay shipping and too weak to go back to the mall...

In trying to look through the sites posted all of these are helping so much. And Mary thank you SO much for the information on making your own heated things!! I told my Grandma Doris about it because she gets cold hands too, I am having trouble finding things to help cold hands on the sites but the cosy sole slippers look so warm, I'm definatly now working on a list for gift ideas for me for the holidays (my birthdays in the winter too) :P Thank you all so much! This is all just so wonderful, you are all so wonderful!!

A warm fuzzy for all of you I do hope, I know I love warm fuzzies

from my greatest friend :)

(3:33:39 PM): i love these people, and I'm not even one of them :)

(3:34:03 PM): :D ^^ *is finding it great you haff somewhere to be*

Thank you all so much, just all so amazing and, now being overwhelmed but in a very good way :D

kate...

i have never heard anyone else use the term warm fuzzy before! i use that term b/c i went to a Friend's School when i was little and that was a term they used...so, i know that my fellow alums there know what it means but otherwise everyone looks at me a bit funny....so i was wondering where you learned that phrase!? it gave me a warm fuzzy to see it in print and see someone else using it!

and by the way...

welcome!

emily

It's a term I've known but not used for years until a few years ago at a church retreat the theme had to do with warm fuzzies and we had those little puff balls used to sybolize them (they really do turn cold scratchies if you keep them in your pockets) and with these past months having so much trouble with talking aloud I mostly type and converse on the computer (I'm not so outgoing in person to begin with..) and I have trouble with words and online it's so much harder to convey feelings and emotions, so using the term warm fuzzy helps a lot so that others know what you mean :P It's so awesome and..warm fuzzy!! :) and thank you, it's so wonderful here! You are all so amazing and Heavensent :)

opus,

the only thing that it says on the tag of my heated mittens is "dream time"...a company in calif. (of course! all the cool stuff i eat and have comes from calif!). but there isn't any other info. sorry not to be more helpful on that one!

hope you find something soon to warm your hands! do you really get cold hands in florida? sorry, just teasing ya!

emily