Skin Problems Related To Dysautonomia Or Medications?

stillkickin

I never had problems with my skin (other than eczema when I was a baby) but now I have a whole bunch of problems. For one, there is acne which is so fun, and my skin on my face which used to look ok now looks all blotchy (not to mention dark circles under my eyes). I also have been getting weird bumps all over. It kind of looks/acts like mini-chicken pox in that the bumps hurt, then itch, then scab over, then go away. The ones on my arms and stomach area go away within a few days, but I've had the ones on my legs for weeks now. (maybe its just the bad blood flow which slows healing?) I was wondering if unhealthy skin has anything to do with dysautonomia or possibly medications given to help with dysautonomia symptoms. Thanks for your help! :0)

I was JUST going to post something like this - seriously! I've had a random awful outbreak of cystic acne and I've never had skin problems. My skin has received compliments my entire life and this month it went crazy!

Maybe it's just timing with hormones (I changed BCP a few months back)...I hope it's just a bump in the road.

I do have dry/sensitive skin issues (Aveeno lotion helps after my shower).

Since my acne actually HURTS and not just cosmetic I could a dermatologist and they made an appointment for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

I really don't know if POTS would cause this since it's a somewhat common issue. I hope not! I need to get it under control. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to know if this has anything to do with autonomic issues or not... I'm pretty sure my (former- knock on wood!) skin problems have something to do with my overall health picture. I have MCAD and the constant flushing was so severe it was causing me to get broken blood vessels on my face. My derm zapped them with a laser & poof they disappeared :) My skin was also oily as I was constantly getting warm ad sweaty (with the flushing) that was exacerbating things. I know many here have allergy issues with their POTS so I thought I'd mention this connection.

After trying EVERYTHING, I've had the most luck treating my skin for rosecea. I use really gentle cleansers like Cetaphil. At night, I use metrogel topically and I take 50 mg of doxycycline daily. My skin is white, not red, & NO more bumps. It's miraculous. Also, I became aware that fluoride, YES FLUORIDE had worsened things, especially around my chin. I switched to Tom's of Maine (no fluoride) and my chin is clear. NO retin-A's or acne meds- they worsened thinngs

Stillkickin', your description of your skin sounds just like my son's. He's got bumps and scabs EVERYWHERE. His doctor from Hopkins is recomending an experimental trial of minocycline to see if an underlying infection, like Lyme, or some inflammatory condition, is a causitive factor with Mack's autonomic dysfunction. We haven't tried it yet...but since taking a daily antibiotic, not only is my skin clear, I feel so much better autonomically. I take a daily probiotic to counteract the negative effects of the antibiotic to my GI tract. Dr. Rowe has seen many of his patients have a positive response to the antibiotics. Clear skin is just a side effect :P

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Just maybe, you have shingles. You already appear to have aggravated inflammation condition (mild acne) - sometimes associated with periods of excess stress and often associated with blood sugar issues (causing excess triglyceride release from subcutaneous stores and affecting sebaceous gland activity on the face, upper chest and back).

It's contagious. Normally, presentation is an isolated patch, but it can, in some cases, be widespread on head, trunk, arms, and lower extremities. Photos below (not for the squeamish / have nausea)

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/haRDIN/MD/dermnet/shingles.html