B12 Deficiency

delphicdragon

Got back blood results from a physical. My D is finally up! Yay, it's at 36 (up from 19). However my B12 was low. I've never been tested for this before and reading online tells me low B12 can cause rapid heart rate and paranoia as well as coordination issues. Well guess what? I've got those symptoms as well as some of others.

Has anyone here been diagnosed with B12 deficiency? If so, how do you fix it? I tried to take B vitamins about a year ago and got horrible headaches.

Sara

The only B-12 I have been able to tolerate is Source Naturals Dibencozide, coenzymated B-12, sublingual. I can't remember where I got it. It might have been N.E.E.D.S or Vitacost (can't remember) I don't know if this would work for you or not. I get side effects from most supplements. I'm still low in Vit D because I haven't been able to tolerate any of the supplements I've tried. Good luck!

Thanks for you input everyone. I called the Doctor back - got the nurse - and was told 1) You didn't really need to call us back, all your blood work was normal ; to wit I asked about the B12 Deficiency. 2) She said, oh yeah, take IRON; which when I inquired how that would help, she said the doctor would call me back. ACK! How I hate people who have NO idea what they are talking about. I called my endo too and informed her of the news - so maybe I'll get somewhere with her. I just looked through my records and NO ONE had done this test before. I'm shocked - figure that would be one of the first things one looks for when a patient presents with fatigue.

Ramakentesh, I was diagnosed with POTS almost 4 years ago and noticed lately that the weird neuro symptoms were getting worse and I was very fatigued. Hence, the B12 test. Yes, I know most of my symptoms are from POTS, but my POTS is secondary to EDS, both of which I've therefore had all my life - these symptoms are relatively new. Hence, the reason why I'm inclined to believe it's the B12.

I'm just shocked that a) my doctor's nurse thinks IRON will fix B12 and :) that in all the blood I've had drawn over the years, no one tested for B12.

Sara

Yes, I have a deficiency. I don't have a problem with the supplements and I seem to absorb them well. Right now, I'm doing a chewable Centrum- yummy & easy on my esophagus. (Supplements sometime give me GERD- but the B-12 never did.) There may be a liquid version.....

Is it just a deficiency or is it pernicious anaemia, which is about the body being unable to absorb B12 normally? If it's the latter, you need some kind of special B12 shot- I know because a colleague of mine has this problem. I know that before she discovered she had pernicious anaemia, and before she started treatment, a lot of her symptoms were very pots like- hideous hypotension, tachycardia, weakness, the works! but the injections sorted that right out. If only it was so simple for us POTS folks to get fixed!!!

I use 'Natures Bounty' Sublingual liguid B Complex from Rite Aid. It's cheap and effective. There is research that suggests that it is as effective as injections for most folks who can't properly absorb the pills.

Two years ago my partner suggested the B12 test and it showed a deficiency, which is unusual in the USA. I asked the doc what was causing the deficiency and he replied, "I don't know" and that was the end of the discussion. Don't these people have any curiosity?

I did some research and found that H. Pylori (the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers) can cause B12 deficiency. So I asked for the test, and it came back positive. The doctor said, "Half the population of the world has this, you don't need treatment." But I had symptoms, like waking up at night all hot and sweaty, etc., so I insisted, and he prescribed a name-brand treatment that cost $400!

The pharmacist (bless her) came up with a generic substitute that cost about $15, and after the doctor approved, I fired him.

B-12 Deficiency is bad news; it can cause a wide array of problems.

Thanks everyone. I started the B12, and even though I've only taken it for a few days, my mom and boyfriend have noticed substantial differences in my stamina and my balance. I can stand up with my eyes closed now. I used to fall over almost immediately, now I can stand for over 5 seconds!! I also don't slur my words when I'm tired anymore and seem to be a lot calmer. I don't know, I don't really notice much- but I figure if they see the differences, they are probably there.

I wish I knew why I was deficient. I eat a varied diet (granted with too much chocolate). I have Vitamin D deficiency too, and am supplementing with 4000IUs a day, which has corrected that. I was tested for H. Pylori and that was negative. I figure my guts aren't emptying correctly because of EDS/Gastroparesis.... I have to eat every 90 mins and can eat a full meal and be hungry 30 mins later. I think stuff just goes through the stomach too fast. I'm also wondering what other vitamins I might be deficient in. I'm just hoping the B12 keeps working, because I like the effects.

Masumeh, I've never heard that you should take B with Ca++ to prevent kidney stones. Though, I am pretty sure that too much B can't hurt you because it's water soluble, so if you have good kidney function it should be excreted. I'll look into that.

I think it might be worth it to get tested for B12 or just try it (ask Dr first, obviously). It's made a huge difference thus far.

Sara

• 1 month later...

I just got tested yesterday for D and b12, waiting on the results. I do know nov, dec, Jan, and feb are real tough months for me. My symptoms become so severe I'm never sure what to expect. But this year has been much better. We have had no rain here in Ventura CA and the sun has been shinning most every day. Im still getting hit with the winter dose of symptoms but not near as bad as previous years. Iv also started getting up at 7AM to get as much sun as possible. All this points to Vitamin D as far as I can tell, but Ill know for sure in a few days. Im lucky to have a Doc that will do a test for me if I feel it may shed some light on the matter. But they all seem to know very little about any of this. As far as supplementing B-12, Ive always had very difficult reactions to Vitamin b-12 and folic acid in the past. I get very amped up for a few hours. Have no idea why.