Iam Wondering What Time I Should Take

carinara

Carinara,

I always took all 10mg of my Zyrtec at night, but if you took it in the morning the blood concentrations would be higher during the day. The sleepiness will wear off in one to two weeks as your body adjusts to it.

There are 4 histamine receptors, and so far we know what 3 of them do and have blockers to them:

H1=allergic response ==== Benadryl, Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin, etc.

H2=stomach acid production ==== Zantac, Tagamet, etc.

H3=decreasing neurotransmitters

H4=chemotaxis (intercellular chemical movement)

There is excellent info on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_antagonist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine

Good luck and do what you tolerate best!

Edited by firewatcher

Hello everybody, here is another little update on me. I tried 10 mg of zytrec this morning around 10 o'clock (i have only been taking 5mg the past 1,5 weeks). I was feeling ok prior to taking it and looking forward visiting my parents. About 35 minutes later i started to feel really strange, as if my body is totally allert. I got so hektik, very nervous and it felt as if wild dogs are inside of me trying to get out. I even screamed at my daughter which i normally never ever do. My head felt under pressure and as if i was on some drugs or something. I got scared because i dont like these kind of feelings. Then this feeling of inner shaking startet and i felt sick from my stomach. I try to stay calm now and not panik because of the strange things my body does at the moment but i guess 10mg at ones is too much for me. If this would happen like this at work, i couldnt handle it. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Has anybody else every experienced something like that?

Some antihistamines will make me kind of jittery, and that's when I take a small dose. If I take just one Benadryl, it does the trick but makes me sleepy. Perhaps you need to take 2.5 mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night for a while, so your body can adjust over a period of time. Sorry you had that experience, and better luck with the next try!

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Jana, thanks for your reply. taking 2,5mg in the morning is a great idea. In the past 1,5 weeks i have been taking 5mg in the evening without major problems. 3 days ago i added another 5mg around 10 in the morning (whilest at work). Every time after the new morning dose, i felt a little jittery and nervous after 30 minutes of taking it. After another hour i felt better again so i didnt think much about it because i didnt blame the zyrtec for this reaction at first. But since today iam more aware that for some reason i dont do so well with the morning dose. Lowering the morning 5mg dose into an 2,5 dose sounds a great idea. I will try it out tomorrow at work. I will still take the 5 mg at night. Please wish me luck and thanks again for your help.

carinara

Hello, its me again with a little update. I only took 2,5mg of cyrtec this morning (because of my bad reaction to 10mg yesterday morning). I noticed that i felt quiet reasonable prior to taking it. After 30 minutes of taking the 2,5mg i started to feel spaced out again, ear noises, very tired and some weired symptoms as if i couldnt think straight just as i would be half asleep dreaming or daydreaming or something. Now about 3 hours later i still dont feel right because it feels a little bit as i would be on drugs or something and this is something that really scares me. Even though i can feel an improvement whilest being upright the other side effects scare me and i cant concentrate, another weired thing i noticed is the inner surge to cry without any reason. Thats very weired. Iam totally insecure now about the futher plan. It seems like i dont tolerate the cyrtec in the morning but in the evening it seems ok, so i guess i take 5mg tonight and nothing tomorrow morning. Has anybody else ever experienced something like this?

Carinara,

Antihistamines are also part of a wide variety of drugs that can take some getting used to. I know that I couldn't jump from 5 - 10 mg in one day, so perhaps that's the problem. Why don't you try slowly increasing your dose over time, and see if that goes better for you....I wouldn't give up on Zyrtec yet until you give it a fair chance. Perhaps starting at 1.25 in the am for a week with 5 mg at night may do the trick. Then the second or third week, you increase to 2.5 mg in the morning. Or, you might want to just take 7.5 mg at night and see how you do.

This is what I would need to do, because I'm so sensitive to meds. I usually start on a 1/4 dose and slowly increase. If that doesn't work, you'd want to change your antihistamine...or if it really bothers you now, you may want to try a different brand. I just believe that you have to give a med a chance, more than one or two days to really see how it'll affect you.

I'm sure you'll find what's right for you.

Cheers,

Jana

I went to see my doctor yesterday. I told her about the side effects i experienced in the past 2 days. Thats when she told me to stop taking zyrtec. Today when i got up i felt quiet ok. At work around 12 o'clock i started to feel not well. My HR was high, my hands were sweating and i was cold one minute and the next i was hot, my face got hot again and i was shaking. When my mother picked me up from work i asked her to stay with me for a little while. My BP was 200/125. I couldnt see right and i was shaking. I tried to call my doctor and after i explained to her what happened she now told me to take an Antihistamin with Fexofenadine. (over here its called telfast, i believe in the US its called allegra). I am going to take it around 6 o'clock and pray to god that it works and that i dont get them sort of side effects. I cant tolerate it if i cant think straight and if i feel depressed due to medication. I need my positivness. Please wish me luck. By the way iam planning to take 60mg.

carinara