Seeing my PCP today from coughing spells

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

About two weeks ago I noticed I have been having trouble catching my breath.

And i'm getting these dry coughs that feel forced---like air is being sucked out of me. It's not the usual short of breath from the fatigue we all get. I feel obstructed.

This is new for me---however, I have had some mild broncho spasms without coughing in the past. Dr. Grubb noticed a bit of wheezing in my right upper lung two visits ago, but he never said much after that, other then he noticed wheezing.

It's gets worse when I lay down.

Here's the thing-------------everything has gotten much worse with my pots symptoms since I did the cervical traction. I was told by someone that the compression on my brain stem can affect my breathing. I guess I should say my POTs symptoms only get worse with exertion----even light exertion. If I lay around doing nothing I don't feel tooo bad. I still don't feel right though----even when resting. Flu like, and my balance has gotten worse.

I called my PCP about this as I didn't want to bother Dr. Grubb. The nurse that took the call was very nice and said I did the right thing to call and set up an appointment. You just never know what to do sometimes, because we can get all this weird stuff from POTS that goes away on it's own. Sometime's you just don't know if it's the POTS---or something else going wrong with your body. When it comes to a cough and trouble breathing---i just don't want to take a chance. Especially when each cough aggrivates this whole cervical crainial instability---brain stem compression combo.

Today i'll see the PCP----and I pray it's just something related to the POTS. I don't want it to be related to my chiari/brain stem compression, because that means things are progressing----and more unstable then I thought. I have a call in to Dr. Bolognese from New York regarding this invasive traction he wants to try to rule in or out the functional cervical settling. God, I hope I don't have that----things get pretty ugly with that.

Do any of you notice that you get a forced cough like this somtimes?

I know the breathing problems are there for a lot of us----but I wondered about the cough.

Julie :0)

Guest Julia59

Went to the Doc today. They prescribed ceftin ----i'm not really sure why---as he said my lungs sounded OK...............

He said if that doesn't work then I should have oxygen levels checked. Also a lung x-ray. He gave me prescriptions for both.

He was pretty cool about everything and seemed to understand. I told him I never know if it's just the POTS causing this or if this is something altogether different.

Guest tearose

Well, if you got that antibiotic, ceftin, it is to treat any infection you may have but the pcp couldn't find. I suppose the pcp is trying to cover all areas for you. I wish you were given some insight into the cough you are dealing with. That wheezing doesn't sound good. Are you going to follow up with anyone else? I guess you will give the ceftin a chance to work first. Isn't this medical stuff a big maze? I only have experience with a little cough I get in my upper chest when I am experiencing irregular heartbeats. I wish I had some good information for you. I hope you feel better soon, tearose

julie!

i LOVE your avatar...i gotta do one of those! i am so clueless though! i know, nina layed it all out for me...:)

anyway...i hope the antibiotic doesn't make you feel more lousy! i hate taking them. i am glad that the doc took you seriously and that you went in.

i do cough and feel like someone is sitting on my chest sometimes. but it has been better lately...don't know why. but, i don't have wheezing or anything.

i just feel like...don't you have enough on your plate already??? :D it just keeps piling on huh? i guess a lot of us feel that way right now...ugh!!!!! if it's not one thing it's another (sorry stacey, stole that from you.. B) )

i don't have any tips! sorry! just wanted to send you hugs...

later alligator!

emily

To help with my sob, I have been given some deep breathing exercises that help sometimes, though not so much right now.

Take 10 deep breaths 5-6 times a day. The most important thing is to remember to inhale all the way down into your stomach. Actually use your stomache muscles to take each breath. I use this technique alot to help me. I hope you feel better soon. I'm thinking of giving in and making a trip to the doc to see if I can get a little help with my breathing.

Blackwolf

I don't mean to freak you out or anything, but I work in a newsroom and we ran a story today about how there has been an outbreak of whooping cough in our area. The story was about how many doctors are missing it because it's unusual. It says the symptoms in adults can be a dry cough with a wheeze.

I assume you have a good doctor and this may have been picked up. But just a thought. Immunity from the vaccine wears off by age 5 or so, I have learned. This is not life-threatening in adults but can persist and needs treatment to keep others from getting infected.

Chances are your cough is related to your other problems and is not whooping cough or anything unusual, but that article today made me think "hmmm."

Amy

Guest Julia59

Thank's for the answers and support everyone!

I still have the cough-----and I haven't a clue where it's from. Feel kind of fluish---yada--yada---yada...............normal POTS stuff......

I'm going to attempt to go out for a bit anyway. Just walk around the mall a little----maybe get a frozen lemon aid. I seem to cough more if I lay flat......

Emily---thanks for the hugs-----it need them----i'm so confused with everything that's been going on. However, i'm not bed ridden, and I am able to function----not full force, but i'll take it.

PS---I'm a fan of pink panther---can you tell....

Guest Julia59

Amy,

That is kind of creepy........

I did read some articals on whooping cough. All this started with a cough. I thought it might be from the upper spine compression---maybe pinching a nerve causing me th cough. It's not a common cold, because mine always starts with a sore throat and runny nose---then a very plugged nose---then eventually making it to my chest----THEN THE COUGH.

I have no runny nose except a little now after two weeks of coughing---but it's not plugged---and now I have a little mucus. The symptoms sound just like whooping cough----but where in the heck would I pick it up from. I'm also achey---even my fingers hurt------It's not my usual POTS stuff. It's definately something new to the mix. I was given ceftin by my PCP----and he ordered O2 saturation levels on room air---and a lung x-ray.

I did end up going to the mall yesterday-----very bad idea. I crashed and I felt like passing out after the first half hour on my feet. I could barely drive home----then after I got home I was at a winey stage----when I get there---I know i'm not feeling good..........:eek: I'm driving my husband with my crabbiness. I just don't need this on top of everything elase going on................sorry to vent----

Dear Julie,

You sound so much like me, crabby anyway. I have been snappy with everyone. I am still having a lot of trouble with breathing and pain. I finally am giving in and going to the doctor's office tomarrow.

I'm getting so short of breath that I couldn't sing at church today, and I don't get that way very often. I also had trouble just sitting on the chair. It was SSSOOOOO painful. I actually had to take some Ibuprophen when I got home, I NEVER take that during the day, it just crashes me ( bottoms out my bp).

I hope you , and I, can start feeling better soon.

Blackwolf

Julia, you should check with your doc that the coughing episodes don't include asthma... even if you don't have chronic asthma, you can get bronchial irritation and a similar nagging cough, particularly at night when the sinuses drain and irritate the respiratory tract. When I develop a cough with a sinus infection, it's asthma related most of the time. Singulair, Advair usually enough to keep it under control, but when I have a really bad coughing attach of asthms, albuterol does the trick. Yes, it increases my heart rate briefly, but it's so worth it to be able to breathe (at least for me!).

Nina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

The Doc did prescribe an inhaler, but I told him I was afraid of it because is messes with heart rate or rhythm. He understood, and told me there are inhalers that have less side affects like that. He backed off for now on the inhaler until I try the course of antibiotics (ceftin) he prescribed. So far I have taken two doses so it's a bit soon to see if they help or not.

It looks like i'll be able to handle taking them as I haven't noticed any noticable adverse affects yet. I'm on the liquid form as I have difficulty swallowing pills. Some pills I can swallow, but those looked like they might be too big from what he showed me in the PDR. He's a good Doc and didn't make me feel weird because I told him that.

Thanks for the answers to my post everyone......

Hi Julia, I understand the worries about the heart rate issues with the inhalers. It came to a point for me where breathing took priority--it might be worth it for you if you get to a point where the coughing doesn't let you sleep or doesn't let up for a long time.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Nina