Tattoo And Dysauto

nforste

I realise this is a topic that some people have quite a strong opinion about, but it's something that I've put HEAPS of thought into and what I would like to get is very meaningful to me and pretty much sums up my approach to life, wanderlust, love of reading, the usual life obstacles and dysautonomia and how I've been working to improve my health. If these 7 words were in a dictionary, my pic would be right there. So just to say up front, I fully realise a tattoo is permanent, but I believe that even in 50 years I will still love and adore this phrase.

I was wondering though, if anyone had any experience getting a tattoo and how they reacted both the the procedure and to the ink itself? I know that pain can exacerbate symptoms. I've never had any issues with needles while I've been sick, but they're usually over pretty quickly. And the ink, do you think there would be some kind of immune response or weird reaction to it??

Thanks for your help :)

I have a tattoo on my inner ankle, but it was done before I got sick with dysautonomia. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure it will depend on the size, location, if you're going to use black or colored ink, how long the procedure will last (again, size), and other factors. Go to a reputable place, of course. How do you usually do with pain?

Cheers,

Jana

I'm considering a tattoo and I'd want an allergy test first. I hear some shops will do this. Tell them the colors you want and somehow figure out how to do a mini-patch test.

Otherwise I'm scared to get a 5" by 8" tattoo in case my body doesn't like the ink!

The pain...depends on the spot. Obviously some spots hurt worse than others but I can't see it lasting. You might feel crappy for a few hours.

I have three tatoos, but all came long before pots. I would consider how you react to pain, it would probably be a good measure of how you will handle a tatoo. The inks are pretty much non-reactive, but by all means seek out a "patch test" if doing something with a lot of color in it. I put a lot of thought into my tatoos, and have never re-gretted them. (And my "newest" is 12 years old!)

I think just like everyone each POTS person is different and i would def try a patch test! me personally had my belly button pierced years ago (before kids)! and a tattoo and the tattoo guy said he had never had anybody pass out on him b4 and i warned him i might and then bout 5 or 10 minutes in he said i'll be right back and giot the smelling ssauce stuff and i passed out just as he got back and did the same thing with the belly button ring...are your ears pierced?? i got really light headed and almost passed out then too and that was years ago prob like 20 yrs ago and the tattoo like 10 yrs and bellly ring like 9 yrs ago...anyway to each their own and everybody is diff try a small tattoo first if u can and def let the person doing it know that you might react a certain way so that they r prepared and not surprised and if u can have someone with u that u trust and can help u and knows u well enuf in case somethin does happen!! anyway hope this helps and good luck!!

Thank you everyone for your awesome responses!! I was planning on just black ink, which I've heard isn't reactive - hadn't heard you can get an allergy test though so that might be a good idea. I've never felt off after having a blood test, but vaccinations and insect bites can make me feel icky so that's why I was concerned any injection of a foreign substance might trigger a response.

As for the pain...... hmm...... it'll be on my shoulder and apparently that's not too bad a bad place. I might even be able to lie down! It?s more anxiety/bright lights/hot weather that exacerbate my symptoms. It's hard to know having not had any painful experiences lately. I have piercings in the top and bottom of my ears and I don?t remember getting light headed or anything like that- they were all done well before I got sick though. A good friend is going with me so there will be help available if I feel really crook.

Cat Lady, what type of tattoo are you thinking of?? 5? x 8? is pretty big!!

I just wanted to add that it might not be the procedure itself that makes you feel bad, but the way that you feel beforehand.

While they can be quite painful in certain areas, you might just be able to handle pain quite okay. But if this is your first tattoo, then most likely you will be quite nervous / excited / anxious while they are prepping you and you'll want to think about how your body might handle these feelings? For example, since getting sick I know that if something makes me feel too angry / excited etc sometimes I start to shake and my body feels like jelly. I dont think I'd want to be getting tattooed if I was in that state :(

As long as your tat won't be too big, I think the shoulder would be a good place to have it done. One word of advice to any out there thinking of getting a tattoo - ankles are a BAD idea (so is the brilliancy of a 'permanent' toe ring). Let us know how it goes!

Im going to go out on a limb here and I dont mean to offend anyone but sometimes youve got to ask yourself how much you are allowing a medical condition choose your life choices for you.

I dont have a tattoo or any interest in getting one, but if I did want one Id just go and get it - sure POTS might flare up a bit but it does that all the time anyway. At least Id have a cool tattoo LOL.

If it makes you happy or feel better why not?

I drink beers quite often despite everyone telling me its bad for POTS. Its never effected my POTS in any way that I can tell, and often it actually seems to make me feel better rather than worse.

I'm with rama. I'm not a tattoo person myself, but I don't think there would be any lasting damage to your POTS from getting a tattoo...of course if you have other medical conditions (allergies, etc.) that is something different. But as for POTS, you might feel crappy for a few hrs or a few days, or not. I think flare ups are always a risk when we do anything different from our normal routine. If you put so much thought into it, it sounds like it means a lot to you. If your symptoms were aggravated, it would probably be worth it for you. Go for it! :lol:

As long as the ink isn't toxic----why not.

I should ask my EDS friends if they have one. I have classical EDS, and I'm not sure about how the tattoo will affect that.

I'm thinking of a small tattoo of the pink panther with a base guitar in memory of my brother who passed away this Feb. of colon cancer.

He reminded us all of the pink panter--------you would have to know him to know why------lol. His name was Joe, and his friends and family referred to him as Joe Cool in pink panther form. He played the base guitar, but also liked to play both lead and acoustic guitar. He played jazz, blues, a lot of 70s rock, and some country. I used to tease him about country because I'm not a huge fan of it. However, he and his band mates brought me around a little on the country, and I found myself tapping my foot to it-----lol.

I miss Joe.

Maxine :0)

I drink beers quite often despite everyone telling me its bad for POTS. Its never effected my POTS in any way that I can tell, and often it actually seems to make me feel better rather than worse.

I drink beer too (although I usually stop at one.) I seem to get tipsy really fast. Not sure if that's the POTS, or if I'm just a lightweight. :rolleyes:

I have 2 tattoos, one was before POTs but the second one was about 3 years after my dx. Its very small and just a black outline on the outside of my foot right by my ankle. I got dizzy but I always get dizzy so I really don't think it effected me much. My only suggestion would be to really push fluids before, during and after. POTs stops us from doing enough things we want to do in life, as long as your SURE about what you want to get... I say go for it (I do recommend you have someone drive you in case you have an episode!)

Let us know if you get the tattoo! :o

I'll get mine eventually as it's something I've wanted for a very long time...probably will stick to two colors and black. My POTS flares up if I look at it funny sometimes, so it's more of the patch test/making sure I'm not allergic thing for me.

Didn't know black ink wasn't reactive so that's good to know...I can always go B&W.