Not Another One!

sandymbme

So I was chaufferred to the ER today in an ambulance because of a migraine that got beyond brutal. Off the charts pain. They found on the CT scan a fairly bad sinus infection. (which is odd because I finished a 10 day course of Augmentin for sinus issues just 10 days ago) My BP was totally weird while I was there. My BP is usually around 100/70 or somewhere thereabouts. But while in the ER it hit 143/86, totally out of character for me. It has NEVER been that high. Should I be concerned? Am following up with PCP on monday or tuesday, should I try to see someone else sooner?

Sandy

Sandy,

Sorry you had such a bad time. As far as the b/p, personally if it happened to me, I wouldn't be concerned with a one-time high. If it would continue, or go higher, I would call your dr.'s answering service to see if you could have him call you. It may have been from the pressure of being in such pain. Did your migraine get better?

I am still taking some pretty heavy duty pain meds for the migraine, butr I am managing. Have had a bloody nose all day. Not gushing or anything, just bloody when I blow. I am going to follow up with my PCP monday or tuesday, depending on how soon she can get me in. The BP just freaked me out because it has never come even close to that before!

Sandy

Sorry you ended up in the ER. My BP has always been high in the ER and now it's also always high/normal in doctors offices as well. I usually run on the low side at home although it's been known to spike sometimes.. And I know my cuff is accurate. I wouldn't worry about your BP unless it starts spiking all the time.

BTW...CT's are not the best way to diagnose sinus infections. If you've had past infections or sinus problems it leaves scarring which can mimic an infection on a scan. The only true way to diagnose a bacterial infection is by a nasal swab. And as it turns out... most sinus infections are viral so antibiotics don't help. I know this from being over diagnosed with sinus infections for several years in the late 90's. I was on so many antibiotics I developed an allergy to most of them. I finally have a good ENT who uses a swab if I think I have an infection. And since he's been my doc ( for 8 years) I've never had a swab which has shown an infection.

Hope you feel better.

Sandy,

So sorry you had such a miserable experience. I hope you're feeling better today, and the nosebleed has stopped. The advice you've gotten so far on your BP shooting up higher than normal seems solid to me, but of course I'd ask my doctor when I next saw him, just to be sure.

Cheers,

Jana

Mine goes up too. I had a 200+/150+ when I had a migraine at the doctor's office and the nurse said it was the pain. When I was in labor it was unmeasurable. :D

As long as it comes back down to what is normal for you, I wouldn't be hugely concerned. Just keep track of it, if you have high BP and then get a headache that is another thing altogether.

Thanks for all the imput. I follow up with my PCP on thursday, and am seeing a neurologist that day, too. So we will see what the docs say. I have my first appt with and endo on friday, and a follow-up with Dr. Grubb on Oct. 1, so hopefully someone will have some sort of insight. My migraines have been getting worse of late, not sure what the bp correlation is because I have no means to check at home. I have great doctors, they just don't seem to know what to do with me. I keep developing new symptoms before they get the old ones under control. Still having bloody nose. Not really running blood, but it is bloody every time I blow, and if I blow too hard then it does run blood. Oh well, life with pots is never dull!

Sandy