POTS and TENS unit

Guest Mary from OH

Guest Mary from OH

Does anyone know if it's safe to use a TENS unit now that I'm "officially" dx with POTS? I used one prior and am in the process of buying one... But, I know that with certain heart conditions, it could be dangerous. Just wondering if anyone knows or has had experience.

I did use a TENS unit prior to being diagnosed without any problems. Actually, come to think of it, I did have one "incident", but my PT said that it was because my muscle had supercontracted...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Geneva, a TENS unit uses a low electrical current to trick the nerves into stopping pain signals. It's often used for people with chronic back pain that isn't responsive to other kinds of therapy.

I've used TENS at my physical therapist's office a number of times, and it really helped me with the pain, especially while I was recovering from my two spinal fusions. I've never seen anyone post issues with similar devices--nor have I ever seen any research indicating that it would be a problem specific to POTS or ANS patients.

Certainly, if you're using other medical devices, such as a pacemaker or implanted defibrilator, you need to check with your doctor... you wouldn't want to interfere with the electrical signals needed to keep your cardiac functions going!

Nina

Thanks MM, I think I have had a TENS unit used on me in PT for a frozen shoulder a year and a half ago. The therapist said tell me when you can feel the current and without hesitating I said "NOW". It was on a level 1 and he called another PT over cuz they had never seen anyone react to a level 1. I am special of course! Well, by the time we hit level 3, my system, I guess sympathetic??, went wild! BP all over the place and I felt like I was going to faint. It was an hour before I recovered. Needless, to say the PT said we wouldn't use that machine again (LOL)

I've had tens treatments at my PT's office many times. It was meant for pain control in the lower back. It helped me a lot and it didn't make my symptoms become worse (although I didn't know I had POTS at that moment, had all the symptoms but wasn't diagnosed yet).

Corina