Flushing?

Had a weird experience today:

I was standing in the National Museum of Health and Medicine (ironic), looking at a display on Civil War medicine, when I started feeling really crappy all of a sudden. It was like my face got really hot, and I started sweating profusely. I didn't happen to notice what my heart rate was doing (dumb.) I sat down for a bit, and it passed. Then I went and got a bottle of water, because I knew I hadn't had enough water today. I was there myself, so I don't know if my face turned red.

I know that people with mast cell issues have something called "flushes." Is that what this sounds like? The face-getting-hot thing was odd. That doesn't usually happen to me.

Amy

Sure. I've had panic-attack that wasn't panic attack... a.k.a. not psychosomatic. Directly related to standing still. Don't know if I'm hyperadrenergic sort.

Ironically, on the other hand, I've witnessed a murder and have had death threats made against me (unrelated incidents) and had no panic reaction whatsoever... so I'm on the psychosomatic "dumb & numb'er" side of that scale :)

Yet just this AM, couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes before "panic" hit... during one of my very frequent supine to standing pulse/BP self measurements. Plus yesterday, had a very rare incident... an extended high BP episode. Mild "panic" but some headache and such that made me grab my BP meter... it was one of the rare times my pulse did not go up upon standing, probably because my BP was 160+ supine/standing/whatever. Lasted 30-60 mins then passed.

Keep in mind, I call it "panic" but it is internal. There is no outward sign except I will "withdraw" from any activity and calmly hunt for a way or excuse to sit or lay down (no matter where I am). I might turn (extra) pale... maybe flush too at times though that tends to be in legs when it happens. Did it on the job once right in front of the boss when we were upright slowly touring a business... plopped down on the floor and pretended to be writing something, just so my mind and body could "calm" down... though I had no outward agitation or sign other than awkward "withdrawal" from the conversation. Would not have looked like panic, but internally it was.

Hi Amy,

Sounds like it could have been a flushing episode. They usually don't progress to anything too awful for me.....but occasionally they have. I have one other thought, could it be perimenopause? I'm in the throes of it & dealing with hot flashes. In retrospect, I think they started in my late 30's- just occasional ones. They make me feel awful. Google that and read a description....sounds like it could have been either.

Strangely enough, I can tell them apart. But both are very uncomfortable :blink: .

Julie

Hi Amy,

Sounds like it could have been a flushing episode. They usually don't progress to anything too awful for me.....but occasionally they have. I have one other thought, could it be perimenopause? I'm in the throes of it & dealing with hot flashes. In retrospect, I think they started in my late 30's- just occasional ones. They make me feel awful. Google that and read a description....sounds like it could have been either.

Strangely enough, I can tell them apart. But both are very uncomfortable :blink: .

Julie

Man, I'm only 33, so I wouldn't think so. But who knows? :)

I think maybe being a little dehydrated contributed. It sure felt like a "rush" of something. Norepinephrine? Like I said before, who knows?

Sounds like a flushing episode to me, I have them so often now I don't even think twice about them. I just know to sit or lay down, get something to drink and relax.

Hey Todd,

Do you know what type of POTS you have? I'm not sure if flushing is typical of all POTSies, or just a certain type.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Julie

Man, I'm only 33, so I wouldn't think so. But who knows? :)

I think maybe being a little dehydrated contributed. It sure felt like a "rush" of something. Norepinephrine? Like I said before, who knows?

I get these sometimes, too. If I'm too hot I get all flushed and pink. :/

It's not a real panic attack, but I know what you mean. I'm on a BB now and that seems to help me from feeling worse with them (I do have allergies, too, but have the OK to have a Beta Blocker). Some people, I hear, are on BB for panic attack issues. It's interesting how all these things work.

i used to get those episodes often. my first symptom was definitely that of an overactive sympathetic nervous system. i was hot, flushed, sweaty and just jittery all the time. like i was constantly on an IV of coffee. i also suffered from serious panic attacks, and very often. i am on a beta blocker, and it has helped calm my SNS so much. i very rarely get panic attacks, or those sudden hot and flushy feelings.

I just had an orthostatic hypotension event this AM and it fits those descriptions pretty well (as my BP dove from 140 to 60) as I tried to stand beyond 5 minutes or so. Body panics and floods with "nonselective" triggers (neural & hormonal) that try to address the problem but cause side (and central) effects too. A "hypoglycemic event" hits like that as well, although I personally get "seizure-like" things from sugar crashes and volatile mood. This AM, my blood sugar went higher after the event, despite being in overnight "fast"... that's something "stress hormones" tend to trigger amongst other things.

When the graceful management of the body's basics are not keeping up, the crude "sledgehammer" responses come in to play. They try to whack the problem but hit the rest of our bodies too. I wasn't dehydrated and not too much else has changed (but I'm adjusting diet), though I might be paying the price for recent exercise. These things often just hit unexpectedly too... for me, they are more "episodic" rather than constant since so much ingrained behavior built up over the years is tailored to "avoidance" of this stuff (I have only learned of POTS recently).

• 3 weeks later...

All the time. Have you found anything that stops or curbs them?

I usually get those if I've been moving around too much, and then I sit down. In 15 minutes, like clockwork, I flush, pant, and start shaking like my body is going haywire. I also get it if I haven't been drinking enough water and have been up and about too much on my feet.

It's the flushies~ I don't get them so bad if I take it easy and since I've been on beta blockers. :3

I get them bad and yesterday after hydration they have to do postural signs on me... Well, when it came to standing the nurse left the room and I was starting to sweat bullets, then the flushing began, the heart rate was going up and down on the meter. I was starting to shake and she popped her head back in the room and pushed the button and I couldn't breathe.

As soon as she was done I crashed to the bed and the super migraine thaat I had was now worse. I wanted all stimulation in the room off but it was out of my control when you have a roomie. Now, the I'm sick to my stomach and they have to pull the IV and I'm giving them the wrong arm ....Brain fog!!!! They make me stay for about 30 more mins to get my HR down, which is really nothing. Cause once I start walking it's a horror show. You guys now and oh yeah white flashes like fire works go off in my eyes... it's scarey!!!

BellaMia~ :)

I get them bad and yesterday after hydration they have to do postural signs on me... Well, when it came to standing the nurse left the room and I was starting to sweat bullets, then the flushing began, the heart rate was going up and down on the meter. I was starting to shake and she popped her head back in the room and pushed the button and I couldn't breathe.

As soon as she was done I crashed to the bed and the super migraine thaat I had was now worse. I wanted all stimulation in the room off but it was out of my control when you have a roomie. Now, the I'm sick to my stomach and they have to pull the IV and I'm giving them the wrong arm ....Brain fog!!!! They make me stay for about 30 more mins to get my HR down, which is really nothing. Cause once I start walking it's a horror show. You guys now and oh yeah white flashes like fire works go off in my eyes... it's scarey!!!

BellaMia~ :)

Ugh! That sounds really bad!

TERRIBLE, and I feel you for sure. Same thing here. Don't have any tips other than to strip down, get a/c as low as it goes, box fan in the face and lay and PRAY!! Hope this ends soon! Feel better

• 1 month later...

Flushing:

Several years ago before I was diagnosed with POTS, I had a period of time where my face and upper torso (even on to the top of my arms) turned bright red. It lasted about two weeks, and my PCP sent me to a dermatologist who did a skin biopsy. Nothing turned up, and it eventually went away.

Now, every day about 11 AM I get flushing on my neck and upper chest. It lasts until about 7 or 8 PM then goes away.

Sure wish it didn't look so strange! Everyone points it out to me. Thanks, I know I'm red! Just please tell me why, and what to do about it!

Caron