Hida Scan For Gall Bladder

After many episodes of pain and a REALLY bad episode over the weekend that lasted for three days, I had an ultrasound of my gall bladder. Although there were no stones, the bile duct was inflamed and appeared messed up. They want to do a hida-scan to get a better look and a better idea of what is going on. Has anyone with POTS/dys done this? I am concerned because I will have to lie still for about two hours and whenever I lie in one position for any length of time, my bp drops considerably. I am also concerned about how the radioactive dye might affect me not to mention how the scan itself causing gall bladder symptoms will affect me. Any insight from anyone here who has had one? Although I know I will feel better getting the surgery because I've been dealing with this for a few years, I have had eight surgeries in the last three years and I just don't want another!

Thanks!

Guest tearose

Yes, did that one and good thing. For nearly 10 years I had gallbladder pain but the never "saw anything" until the Hida Scan. I was symptomatic at the time and I do think it makes the problem more visible. No problems with the laying still or dye here. They did let me move my legs and arms a little, I just was not to get up or walk around. Once they did the surgery they were amazed at how ugly the gallbladder looked and because of all the inflammation it was adhered "stuck" to my liver.

tearose

Hi Daisy,

Yes, I had the HIDA scan too. Best test I ever had- no problems. Like Tea, I had problems for years (at least 20.) The ultrasounds showed minor things, inflammation, but no stones. By the time I got it out, I was a mess. That pain is the worst. My gallbladder was wrapped in many many layers of adhesions- also stuck to my liver.

Don't worry about the test. The surgery was pretty easy too, but I did have problems recovering.... Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Let us know what you find.

Julie

A regular HIDA scan didn't see a darned thing-- a few years of pain later, I had CCK - HIDA scan, and THAT scan saw that my gall bladder wasn't pumping bile out any longer... I had surger a few days later and 2 deliciously pain free years

Hi Daisy,

I had horrible pain in my upper abdomen and finally ended up going to the ER for it over a weekend. This was last November. They gave me Morphine (a wonderful thing at that point) and tested my gallbladder. I also did the HIDA scan, but not one test showed my gallbladder as being inflamed. I guess it's not that rare that women will have the classic gallbladder symptoms and not show anything on a test. Luckily my doctor knew this, and I ended up having my gallbladder removed two weeks later. It was white and completely dead. Surgery was easy, and recovery wasn't too bad, it just takes time and you have to be very careful about what you eat for awhile.

I vote to have the test (no problem for me, either) and get rid of that pain!

Good luck,

Jana

Thanks everyone! I feel better about the test...I guess I had read one too many horror stories about how sick people get during the scan. I have been dealing with these episodes for several years now but none like I had over the weekend. It lasted three straight days and the pain was excruciating. I am unable to take painkillers due to allergies so I relied on Tylenol and a heating pad which didn't come close to cutting it - needless to say, I will be very careful what I eat until we get to the bottom of it. In the past, ultrasounds have been negative but this one showed something going on with the common bile duct which indicates a diseased gallbladder or a small stone lodged too small to see on ultrasound. It may be that because I had the ultrasound so close to my attack, it showed up this time. So, I will schedule the test and see what happens. I don't want surgery again but I certainly can't continue like this!

Thanks again.

I had one with the contrast and one without. The stuff can mimic the pain for a short period but it goes away fast. It never took that long for me though. I think the longest one was about a half hour. It's an easy test. Good luck. I had mine out in July, it was a piece of cake surgery wise....

A regular HIDA scan didn't see a darned thing-- a few years of pain later, I had CCK - HIDA scan, and THAT scan saw that my gall bladder wasn't pumping bile out any longer... I had surger a few days later and 2 deliciously pain free years

Hmmmm. I thought all HIDA scans included the CCK injection. If not, I ditto Nina. THAT was a great test, very revealing. Make sure they use the CCK injection. It supposedly can cause that awful pain, but it didn't for me, AND it still showed my gallbladder didn't work. Good luck!

Oh, and with the CCK, I did have a gallbladder attack on the table while they were scanning

Thanks everyone! I am scheduled for Wed. afternoon for the hida scan....mine is without the CCK so we'll see what happens. Hopefully, they will be able to see what they need without the CCK.

In the meantime, I'm just eating bland food and today get to watch everyone else eat crab legs for labor day while I eat a baked potato and some bread!! ;)

If your doctor wrote the request for just a HIDA scan, it's unlikely you'll be given CCK. My script said "CCK HIDA scan" when I got mine.

Nina

....and if you're going through the expense and trouble, you might as well get the CCK too. It just provides more reliable results about how it's functioning- or not functioning ;) . Maybe call the hospital where you're having it and ask a tech if a HIDA scan there regularly includes the CCK. I hope you're as lucky as I was to avoid the pain during the test.

In the meantime, I feel for you. Do a google search on foods that nurture the gallbladder. I ate lots of beets (of all things!) while waiting for my surgery. I hate the pickled ones. I just heated the canned ones & put on a miniscule amount of butter, salt & pepper. ANYTHING to avoid that pain.

I also had the HIDA with CCK. I didn't realize they did them without it?! I also would suggest you ask your doctor to include it in the testing...since you're having it done already. I didn't have an attack during the testing...just got really quesy for a couple seconds after the CCK but there was someone in there with me the WHOLE time so please try not to worry! My results showed an Ejection Fraction of 4% and I had my GB removed a few days later. It was really nice to be able to eat again!!

Keep us posted....and good luck with everything! ;)

I had two hida scan's both with cck. The first one I had sharp burning pain and thought I would loose my cookies, but my ejection fraction was normal. So it was iffy. The second a year latter felt nothing. So was glad I put off the surgery. I do from time to time get what I call a hot stool that burns and causing pain and inflamation is it moves through. I recently read that the autonomic neuropathy that I was just diagnosed with can cause spillover problems with the gall bladder and motility issues. So maybe that was what was causing my symptoms. Though I always taste in my mouth like I just drank vinegar.

Hope this helps, if the cck does cause nausea it will pass without loosing your cookies. The test does seem like it takes forever, as you watch that isotope move thru.

I had the hida scan about 3 years ago which showed zippo, but I reacted so strongly to the test that they wheeled me right over to the ER and my GB was removed 4 days later. Every test I had was negative, but the surgeon told me it was chronically inflamed and looked terrible when he removed it. Said I was the strangest case he had ever seen. I so wish I heard that less frequently! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still no answers and still alot of pain. I had the hida scan and it was normal (not a big surprise). They didn't use the CCK - I'm not sure why. There are no stones but I do have an inflamed common bile duct. Now, I have to wait to see a gastro Dr. (I was squeezed in for Tues.) and I guess more tests are coming - probably more invasive. In the meantime, I am in pain every time I eat any fat, nauseous, and I have lost ten pounds in two weeks. Very weak and it's not helping the ANS issues.

Of course, my mom-in-law was helpful when talking to her by mentioning pancreatic cancer! So, now I'm scared on top of everything else - I was hoping it would be something easy to diagnose like gall stones but with me, of course not!

I guess it's possible to have a diseased gall bladder and inflamed duct without stones? I'm so confused! Maybe there is a teeny stone in the duct that is causing pain but not actually blocking anything. Sorry, I'm venting - onward and upward!!!

daisy, i didn't have stones either. Mine just filled and never emptied, it just did not function. When the doc took it out, he said it was pink and perfect...duh, it had never been used! Don't fret and don't eat fats! Keep drinking, this is especially important since you can't "eat!" Hang in there!

I'm an old medical insurance nurse... Let me tell you all - about 80% of the time, especially in women, ALL tests will be negative - and when they go in surgically there will be an enlarged, inflamed gallbladder. I saw it countless times.

I wrestled with mine for 11 years on and off. Mainly because Ex-hubby would threaten dire consequences if I missed work for anything as piddly as surgery - it might affect his (non-working) lifestyle.

I learned to drink apple juice by the quart.

Then a couple years ago it flared up again and one day as I was drinking my umpteenth quart of apple juice it occurred to me, "HEY!! Rick (current hubby) doesn't want me hurting, he doesn't care if I lay around and do nothing. Why don't I get this taken care of?"

So I went to my PCP - who has known me for a VERY long time and he said, "WHAT!?!?!? You still HAVE it??" He remembered the extreme amount of pain I had gone through several years ago and he had heard ex-husband cussing me. Once again I went through US, HIDA scan w/CCK and all was negative, but the surgeon was very understanding and agreed with me - most of the time the tests are negative and they don't mean anything.

Besides - I fell within the "textbook gallbladder patient" parameters... the "4 F's" - Fair (a woman) Fat (hey, you already knew that one!) Forty (+) and Flatulent - yep, you have lots of gas! LOL!! So surgery was scheduled.

Hubby was walking beside me on the way to surgery and one of the nurses said, "It's a good thing you are taking care of this, last year my dad's ruptured and he died."

Poor hubby... He said, "WHAT?!?!? YOU CAN DIE?!?!? And you have been putting this OFF!?!?"

Boy, was I GLAD they were putting me under! Poor guy.

Sure enough, I had a grossly enlarged, inflamed gallbladder. Oh the relief!

Durn it- I wish they used the CCK. It would have given you a chance of a more accurate result. Not everybody has stones & you can still have the same awful pain. I'm with Gayla on this one, I've heard of lots of folks, with all normal tests, who've still gone on to have it removed & found relief. Get thee to a good surgeon ASAP. Based on your symptoms s/he will help you make the best decision. BTW, I ate beets while I waited for my surgery. They apparently "nurture" the gallbladder. Didn't help mine any, but it didn't hurt when I ate them.

Hugs-

Julie

Thanks to all - It's amazing to me how many of you have had diseased gall bladders that never showed on any tests. After the hida scan came back normal, my primary Dr. said I don't think it's your gall bladder (despite the obvious symptoms) - I think it's your dysautonomia! What? I hate it when they blame everything on that. He obviously has not learned that gall bladder problems often show up "normal" (although I do have the bile duct inflammation).

I am having another mini attack as we speak. I am supposed to see the gastroenterologist on Tues. but he's not a surgeon. I wonder what he is going to say - I guess the concern is that there is something else going on because the common bile duct is inflamed - that worries me. But, the pain only comes when I eat certain things - as long as I am eating rice, baked potatoes, some veggies I am ok. This afternoon I tried to eat some dry cereal (low fat and no cholesterol) and powie - about an hour later here comes the awful pain again. To me, that's classic gall bladder.

Oh well, I guess I'll see the Dr. Tues. and if I'm not satisfied, I am calling a surgeon. Enough is enough.

Daisy-

He ought to repeat the HIDA scan with the CCK. My bile duct also showed up inflamed (via ultrasound) when my symptoms were really bad, 10 years before I had it removed. In retrospect, I was clearly having gallbladder attacks then as I guess you are now. Have you done an endoscopy and colonoscopy recently. GI's love to throw those two in with your symptoms. I'm guessing you're headed that way. Has your blood work showed an elevated liver function? That's also classic gallbladder.

Wish you could go straight to the surgeon & avoid the endoscopy & colonoscopy.... Ask your GI about that :)

Hugs-

Julie

Julie -

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I've been having these "attacks" for several years. I have been to the ER for them a few times and also to my Drs. office.

Each time, they did an ultrasound and didn't see stones so they said it wasn't gall bladder. I will also sometimes get awakened in the middle of the night with severe

nausea. About a year and a half ago they did an upper endoscopy (the Dr. I'm seeing on Tues.) because of these attacks. I had inflammation in the upper duodendum

so they thought I might have celiac. The biopsy was negative and they said it was bad acid reflux. I did also have a colonscopy about three years ago so I don't see

any need for him to repeat those tests. I am convinced it's my gall bladder because it only happens when I eat fatty foods! The really bad attack that I had a few weeks ago lasted

almost three days and I had eaten alot of junk food. Now, it's just always really sore. So you had the inflammation of the bile duct too - that actually makes me feel better because

that seemed to be the zebra to my Dr. It makes sense that it would have been inflamed on the ultrasound because that was done the day after that three day attack so I'm sure things

were still flared. My Dr. did do bloodwork but it came back normal so far.

I believe that three weeks of pain and losing weight is more than enough! I am looking forward to Tuesday and talking to my GI Dr. (he is actually very nice) and hoping we can get

to a surgeon and get this taken care of before the holidays - I want to eat cookies!

Thanks for all of the info and support!

The number I quoted - 80% show negative test results but the gallbladder is the problem anyway - isn't something I pulled out of thin air. It is what our (insurance company) client base showed. So it's extremely common!

My HIDA Scan with CCK did show problems. It wasn't working at all. BUT, you never had that test. By the time they yanked mine, it was covered in adhesions and stuck to my liver, I was sporting a constant fever, my liver function tests were very high, and my poop bright green (TMI :P .) This can get bad (even fatal- VERY rare) so hopefully your doc will just transfer you to a surgeon pronto. (Listen to Gayla's stats- no need for more testing!) My surgeon gave me some wonderful pills to take while waiting for scheduled surgery- mepergan (?) Some narcotic & phenergan mixed together so I wouldn't have to keep getting morphine from the ER. Ask for them.

Let us know how it goes at the GI's!

Julie