Pharmacy Filled One Rx With Two Generics (30-day Supply)

iheartcats

I think after this I'm going to the 90-day supply as they've never done this...but my local pharmacy filled my Propranonal RX (Beta Blocker) with two different generics!

I'm going to try to pick through it and see how many are the 'duds' (the generic I'm not used to and it looks at first glance there are only a few of those).

My prior EP said he prefers the 90-day supply as it's better to use the same generic as I get used to it at least for a time - switching back and forth within the same month isn't good for me as I'm a bit sensitive to dose/brand changes.

Has anyone's pharmacy ever done this?

I haven't had them switch my drugs to include different brands in the same month's supply, but my pharmacy's supplier apparently switched generics of one drug I took and I didn't realize it until I picked it up and got home. I am super sensitive to drug changes so my doc now writes the generic brand name on my prescription and the pharmacy special orders it for me. Better to be safe than sorry - if your doc writes it on the prescription they may be more inclined to stock the one you need.

I've never had different generics in one prescription before, but my birth control pill, Apri, all of a sudden started changing to other generic brands over a couple of months. I'm now on the third generic since Apri, and they're all subtly different. They didn't even mention if when I picked them up - I notice when I get home, and then I have to call the pharmacy to make sure there hasn't been a mistake. I'm assuming that your pharmacy ran out of your familiar generic before they could finish your order, and put the others in instead. Perhaps the pharmacy could exchange the 'duds' for the right ones?

Best of luck,

Jana

I didn't think to request a generic name (my insurance only covers generic). 10 of the 90 pills in this RX were different so I picked them out. I'm still frustrated!

Are you sure it's a different generic brand? A few times, my wife or I have had the company alter their tablets even though it's the same drug from the same manufacturer. Each time, our pharmacist has been very good about pointing out "hey, they changed the pill, it's now white and oblong instead of round and pink but it's the same stuff by the same company" or similar.

If it truly is pills from two different manufacturers in the same prescription, I would be upset too and would want them to fix the problem and make sure that my doctor specified a manufacturer on the prescription from then on. For myself, it would just be the principle of the thing, but I know some people who are sensitive to different mixes of the carriers/binders in different brands of pills.

I didn't think to request a generic name (my insurance only covers generic). 10 of the 90 pills in this RX were different so I picked them out. I'm still frustrated!

Are you sure it's a different generic brand? A few times, my wife or I have had the company alter their tablets even though it's the same drug from the same manufacturer. Each time, our pharmacist has been very good about pointing out "hey, they changed the pill, it's now white and oblong instead of round and pink but it's the same stuff by the same company" or similar.

If it truly is pills from two different manufacturers in the same prescription, I would be upset too and would want them to fix the problem and make sure that my doctor specified a manufacturer on the prescription from then on. For myself, it would just be the principle of the thing, but I know some people who are sensitive to different mixes of the carriers/binders in different brands of pills.

I verified they are different manufacturers - 79 of my 'normal' and 11 of the 'other.' I tried talking to the Pharmacy Tech but she looked at me weird - like I'm just a complaining ninny. No...I'm very sensitive to changes and this is an important med for me right now.

They think it's no big deal, so I may contact corporate to see if this is 'standard practice.'

Now I have to figure out the drug manufacturers of the generics that work for me!

Check the label of your prescription - it should say somewhere what the manufacturer is and give a description of the pill (color, what is imprinted on it, etc). Or at least that's what it says on mine!