Blood Pressure Out Of Control

Dale

My blood pressure has been getting as high as 190 over 164 and as low as 86 over 50 over the course of a few hours it goes real high then real low. I'm on a beta blocker shouldnt it be preventing this from happpening? And am I at risk with numbers like that? Also ive been expeirencing some of the worst palpations Ive ever had and they are occuring at night time when im laying in bed. They seem to be different then my usual palpations my heart actually stops beating for a second or two and then it starts jumping out of my chest and last for up to 5 minutes. Its scary it feels like its going to burst or tear or something. If I sit up it goes away and starts again when I lay back down. I had a renin plasma test done recently and it indicating renovascular hypertension but Im trying not to get worked up over it because it was just a simple blood test and just an indication. Im seeing my cardio in a few weeks to have it looked into. The scary thing is im so used to having severe chest pain and palpations that if I actually would have a heart attack I would probably just ignore it and think its relating to pots. How do you tell the difference between the symptoms of pots and an emergency situation? And how do I get my blood pressure to stay at least somewhat in a reasonable range?

hello dale,

very sorry that you are experiencing this... i am new here and have little knowledge about these matters.

the situation sounds frightening and disconcerting. hoping that you are able to find good answers and

options.

forgive me for answering your questions with more questions: did you experience these swings in blood pressure

prior to the beta blockers? which beta blocker are you taking? during the palps--any idea of your heart rate?

with healthful wishes,

cordelia

LOL - yeah I can relate - i get used to chest pains and palps so I too wonder whether id recognise something more serious.

When are your blood pressures high and when are they low? I presume high is after orthostatic stress and low is lying down still for a while?? betablockers should keep your blood pressure down to a smallish degree, but not necessarily in hyperadrenergic POTS - because beta blockade can leave alpha receptors unopposed, worsening orthostatic hypertensive responses in these patients.

When doctors find something that increases NET function we will be laughing (well some of us anyway).

Hello Dale~!

Sorry you are struggling so. WOW that is a very high and dangerous BP. What I would do is call your cardio or whoever is familiar with your POTS DX. If it does not stay up high...well then it may be the POTS.

I have dysautonomia with periods of hypertention...went to ER and they were going to place a med in my vein to bring it down BUT..knew that with POTS it may come down on its own and then it would be dangerously LOW. At least this doc listened to me..and waited..and sure enough it came down to a nice normal on its own..just took awhile.

OH and this happened while I was working IN a hospital at that time and the RNs insisted I go to the ER. THey knew nothing about POTS.

Let us know how you're doing..

Jan

Hi Dale,

What medications are you taking? Sounds like you may need to update your doctor on what's going on and look at your medication use. Please let us know how you're doing.

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Dale,

I would call the doc. and run everything by him or her. I also used to run like that on hormones. I don't known if you a male or female. But flax seed oil and soy contain estrogen and some people are estrogen sensitive to the small amounts the get in those ingredients.

I do know when my pressure would get that high at the drug store before I had a monitor, the PC used to say your BP can't go that high you would be dead. Well I found out at the cardio's office that's what I was running and now I'm the opposite.

Please check it out as if lyou sit around and worry you will only make it worse. You pay your dr. to be on call to answer ??????'s

Be safe rather than sorry.

blessings and love~

BellaMia~

Hi Dale,

I would call the doc. and run everything by him or her. I also used to run like that on hormones. I don't known if you a male or female. But flax seed oil and soy contain estrogen and some people are estrogen sensitive to the small amounts the get in those ingredients.

I do know when my pressure would get that high at the drug store before I had a monitor, the PC used to say your BP can't go that high you would be dead. Well I found out at the cardio's office that's what I was running and now I'm the opposite.

Please check it out as if lyou sit around and worry you will only make it worse. You pay your dr. to be on call to answer ??????'s

Be safe rather than sorry.

blessings and love~

BellaMia~