Trying To Do Some Kind Of Volunteer Work, Job, Just Something!

Well, I've gotten to the point where I feel I can somewhat regulate my POTS symptoms. It takes a lot of work and preplanning, and I still never feel great. Any stress still puts me into a tailspin. Also, I posted recently that the Board of Nursing has revoked my license due to my illness and safety concerns. So I wouldn't do anything related to medicine or nursing.

But I'd like to TRY to do something maybe for just a few hours a week. I don't want to cause a flare up so I was thinking that volunteering might be a good start... I could come and go as I needed.

My husband is a Special Ed teacher and says he and his coworkers could use me to make copies, help kids read, etc. Sounds great to me to get out of the house!

My concerns include:

- Of course, some days I still barely can do anything so I would hate to feel like I was letting anyone down on those days if I had to not show up.

- I don't want to jeopardize getting SSDI as I'm still waiting for the hearing.

- Having to explain to more people why I'm slow, short of breath, using a cane...

I'm going to call the lawyer who's representing me for SSDI and get her opinion on this. Maybe I'm just being naive in thinking I can do anything more than take care of myself, but I'd at least like to try! :unsure:

i think volunteering is a great way to make you feel better. for me, the best thing to do was becoming a volunteer for dinet as a forum reader. i can stay at home, read for 10 minutes or longer if i'm up to it, and best of all i can read while in bed or in my chair. try to find something that fits you best, it will give you some peace of mind (helping out while not being able to work) AND makes you feel more satisfied with your situation.

best of luck,

corina :unsure:

Hi- I am a special ed teacher (can't work now) and I tried to help in my children's school this year. It was really hard though and schools are very germy. I got sick a lot. Have you thought about hospice? I used to volunteer through them when I was in college and soon after. With your nursing background you might really like it. I used to visit families, read to patients, etc . Also Hospice would be really understanding of your limitations. I messed things up sometimes when a teacher was expecting me to work with students and I was a no show. Also making copies and helping with bulletin boards is not my idea of a good time. Just something to think about. I miss teaching so much I can't even tell you.... but if I can't teach I don't want to be in a school. Maybe that is how you would feel about nursing though. I just really loved hospice... they do great work and people are very receptive to a little extra love and time. Kari

Oh!! I think volunteering is a great idea!!! Most folks are so happy to just have a volunteer that they will take whatever they can get!!

I studied for a test this summer and didn't even know if I would feel well enough to take it...but it is great for the mind to actually try to do something.

I think Hospice is a great cause and if nothing else it can put our illness in more perspective (we might feel like it....but we are not dying). ;)

Keep us posted :D

Erika

Not to be a buzzkill but if you are trying to get disability Volunteering could put that in jeopardy.

Seriously..if you think this is not true, you really need to join Disinissues private email group site. They aid you in gettind SSD or SSDI.

If you can volunteer and commit to a schedule you can commit to a job is how they see it and I get their point.

So be careful what you do. Also work from home jobs can cause issues if they find out. Drag I know but it's the facts of the messed up system. They care NOT one whit if you make $250 a month or what is called substantail gainful employment, It can get you in trouble.

been there, done that. So join that group I mention.

I tried to volunteer but no one wanted me because I couldn't commit to any schedule. I tried several places hospitial, library, church, red cross and none of them worked. I did finally find one place I could volunteer and that was at our local dog park. They don't care when I go or how many hours I put in and I love doing it. It took me a while to find a place but it sure is worth it. My dogs love to go and I love to sit and socialize with other dog owners. I hope you find some place where it will work for you.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice! I'd never thought of hospice. The main reason I was going to help at my husband's school was that I could have as flexible a schedule as I needed. I don't know how reliable I'll be. I wonder if hospice would have flexible requirements. I'll have to inquire about that!

I did leave a voice message with my SSDI attorney, so I'm not starting any of this til she gets back to me. Sophia, I totally get your drift and haven't planned on starting anything til I speak with her.

A year ago, I'd applied to volunteer at the hospital I used to work at as an RN, but they said I had too many limitations. I'd also have to go through 40 hours of orientation!

I had the perfect job before POTS as a nurse and it was strictly PRN. As needed and I didn't have to agree to the shift until the day of. I strictly covered the sick calls or emergency shortages. I can't work as a nurse anymore but that's the kind of schedule I would love back again because I can decide if I want to work the day of and would know if I was feeling well that day. I wonder if crisis center phone services take volunteers as needed just to cover holes in their schedules. I'm sure being a nurse you can deal with almost any crisis that comes along. It would be an interesting volunteer job. I have a friend who volunteers for a thrift store pricing the kid clothes. They let her do it from home and she has met a lot of nice people doing this. This has been a huge help for the store and you could probably do it at your own pace. Good luck and hope you get your lawyers blessing on this one. Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to give this a try.

Brye

Thanks Brye! Those were great suggestions about answering phones at a crisis center, or even working at a thrift store. That last one sounds kind of fun! ;)

In my mind, I want to be able to do some type of work so badly... volunteering or whatever. I'm not sure what all my body will let me do yet but I'd like to try!