Pilates For First Time With Eds/pots

Janey

So I tried the "simple pilates" regime I've been put on, just ten repetitions of each movement/position, and it was ****! I know, just ten, you think "that should be easy!" but it just wasn't. By the end of it I was shaking, nauseous, dizzy, had a headache and my intestines had started cramping. It's been a long time since I exercised but I didn't realise lifting my leg up 10 times in a row would give me a full-blown POTS attack. It's put me off doing it again because I don't want to feel like this every day, especially if it takes me about two hours to recover. Have any of you done Pilates and found it has helped with symptoms? If I keep doing it, will it get better?

Janey

After my first Pilates session I thought my doctor was attempting to murder me, through physical therapy!

Don't do so many. DO NOT push yourself that hard, it will only make things worse both short and long term. It hurts, so you'll quit and not get any benefit at all. Take teeny tiny baby steps. Go through your routine doing two reps accurately through your entire routine. If that doesn't cause any discomfort, up it to five reps and so on. If you are moderately sore, but not POTSy stay at that level till you are no longer sore.

This is not training for an ironman, it is just getting you moving! There has been plenty of debate here as to whether we can actually condition ourselves at all.

Wait a while and start slower. After 9 months of once a week, it still wipes me out.

Pilates can be very hard!

I keep saying I am going start doing this again as I think it will help my overall health.

Yes, do go slow.

So I tried the "simple pilates" regime I've been put on, just ten repetitions of each movement/position, and it was ****! I know, just ten, you think "that should be easy!" but it just wasn't. By the end of it I was shaking, nauseous, dizzy, had a headache and my intestines had started cramping. It's been a long time since I exercised but I didn't realise lifting my leg up 10 times in a row would give me a full-blown POTS attack. It's put me off doing it again because I don't want to feel like this every day, especially if it takes me about two hours to recover. Have any of you done Pilates and found it has helped with symptoms? If I keep doing it, will it get better?

Janey

I did pilates for three years with an instructor. I would recommend having at least one or two sessions with someone who can watch you--it's all about form and control, and most of it is not intuitive. I stopped going when my joint issues got too weird, but the basic principles of which muscles to engage have stayed with me. It can be expensive, but if you can afford one lesson, maybe someone could wathc your breathing. If you don't breathe properly, you could end up in a valsalva situation which I imagine could trigger a pots attack. and it's hard to know when to breathe when you're tensing your stomach.

ditto to what everyone here has said... take it slow, easy, don't push to the point of collapse, and if you can afford it, have a couple of mentored sessions