Disability Approved

Brye

I wanted to share this because I know there are many fighting for social security disability benefits. I had worked as a nurse for the past 13 years until my POTS diagnosis 1.5 years ago. My husband has a stable job but we still took a hit with me not working and 4 kids to support. In addition to submitting the initial disability paperwork I had a lawyer create a form for the doctor to fill out regarding how my dx would impair my ability to work. My doctor was more supportive of my disability claim than he was of me returning to work. It was approved the 1st time around! I was all set with my lawyer to start the long fight and it was approved. Now I can focus on regaining my health. For those of you still fighting I hope you have the same results!!

Good luck!!

Brye

Yay, Brye! I was also approved last month. Now I just have to get my long-term disability approved permanently. For those of you out there trying to get disability, there is hope! Get a lawyer and fight for your rights.

Cheers,

Jana

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

Even with an attorney you need to follow up to make sure they are obtaining every medical record that pertains to your case.

I'm so happy for you, but I understand it's also sobering to hear your officially disabled. Now you can breathe a little easier with some extra your income coming in. It's not really extra though, as most of us need it, as I'm sure you do with four kids.

For me it was only part of what I earned previously, but I'm grateful to have it.

Maxine :0)

WOWEEE..YIPEEE!!!!!

The FIRST time.. that IS amazing!!

Its going to be so nice...do you already have health insurance?

Again.. I am so happy for you

Jan

I'm not sure if there is a way to look up what the disability income is. It actually for me was more than I thought it would be but I guess I really didn't 'know what to expect. I didn't hire a lawyer but a family friend who is a lawyer got together a questionaire for my doctor to fill out. That was extremely helpful I think. Had it been denied I would have hired him for sure and he said most people don't hire a lawyer until they're denied. I went in person to the social security office to apply so I could submit that form with the application. It is bittersweet because now I have to acknowledge disabled. I fill out forms now and this is the 1st time I haven't had a work number and had to say I'm not employed. One person said to me "so you're a housewife?" Not that that isn't a very noble job it was just one of those moments for me. I was fortunate this whole time I've had health insurance but this will still help so much with all the co-pays for meds and appts. Those add up quickly!! Thanks again for all your support. This DINET site has truly been a life saver for me!!

Brye

Brye,

It is amazing that you got your SSDI on the first try. Good for you! I applied for it right after I had to take a leave of absence from work for medical reasons - just in case I didn't get better and come back to work. It's a good thing I filed right away, because I got SSDI in court, after being denied twice before. It took me almost exactly 2 years to get. I also had a lawyer once I got my second denial, and she was great. Good luck to all of you applying for SSDI or long-term disability! It's worth the time and effort.

Cheers,

Jana

I've heard so many say it took years and appeals to finally be approved and I was so shocked and extremely thankful it was approved on the 1st try. It was about 1.5 years after I last worked as a nurse that I applied for disability. I was really planning on going back and that's why I waited so long.

Brye