Earlobe Creases

Jan

This sounds really stupid, but a friend of mine with POTS told me that having a crease in your earlobe is a sign of heart disease. She had heard it somewhere and then saw it on TV.

If you google ear lobe crease you will see what they look like. Nothing a person would normally even notice.

If you read about it, all research supports this theory.

My friend and I both have these creases. She went to a cardiologist who said, yes, they are an indicator of heart disease. He of course knows nothing about POTS.

The common theory is that the ear has a lot of blood vessels and the dent indicates poor circulation and that the heart isn't working so hot.

I wonder if POTS, which causes poor circulation would be a cause of these creases.

Any one else have an ear lope crease?

YESSS!!! I was just looking at my earlobes without earring on.. and noticed this.

I have hypertension as part of dysautonomia..POTS..with other disorders.

Is that for real???

Jan

This sounds really stupid, but a friend of mine with POTS told me that having a crease in your earlobe is a sign of heart disease. She had heard it somewhere and then saw it on TV.

If you google ear lobe crease you will see what they look like. Nothing a person would normally even notice.

If you read about it, all research supports this theory.

My friend and I both have these creases. She went to a cardiologist who said, yes, they are an indicator of heart disease. He of course knows nothing about POTS.

The common theory is that the ear has a lot of blood vessels and the dent indicates poor circulation and that the heart isn't working so hot.

I wonder if POTS, which causes poor circulation would be a cause of these creases.

Any one else have an ear lope crease?

Just read a MDs review that its not true.. they even have studies on this. Its best to keep your heart disease risks down.

A MYTH then??

Jan

I have done a lot of reading on this. I would love to read something that says it isn't true. I did see some doctors post things 10years ago saying they had doubts, but then I read there have been 30 studies saying it is true. A better indicator than blood pressure, cholesterol, family history etc.

I just wonder if POTS, rather than heart disease could cause it for some. You know there will never be a study done for us.

The ER docs I worked with believed it was true, as did all the cardios. Even had a name for it which escapes me at the moment. ;0) Positive "something" fold. It is almost a vertical fold/crease. It stands out most on men because well, they don't generally wear earrings so there is no piercing or indent from that to cover it up or confuse things. I've looked at ears for years now to see if it correlates to what I knew about a person and it hasn't been wrong in my anecdotal experience.

Thanks, I found one too, but it's more subtle. It's hard to tell on me, but there doesn't appear to be any folds.

I can see how this might relate to EDS. My ears are pierced, and the holes are all stretched out, especially the right one. My second holes are even too big. My ears have ben pierced for 38 years though. The old fashioned way with ICE and needle. :) The second ones were done with the gun.

creased_ear_closeup_small.jpg

Maxine :0)

Well this was a new one on me! :-)

Every once in awhile when I seem to be awake for a little bit in the wee hours of the morning before my second long period of sleep ... I read a little igoogle news, take a peak at my email or glance at DINET on my hand held palm device to see what's new. I read the ear lobe crease (ELC) discussion last night during one of my brief pre-dawn browse. I went to sleep wondering if my husband had the ELC and when I woke up this morning with the sunlight pouring into our room, my first waking thought was to turn my head and peak at my husband's ears!

So funny. Then of course I had to go and get a mirror and loo

at MY OWN ELC!! Cout my in the Frank's Sign group! My diagonal line looks just like the pictures on the web. Isn't that just like me to be so textbook. ;-)

As all of you other google-researchers have seen there's a ton of published research studies over the last 20 years on a possible correlation. No consensus. Some seem to indicate it is ... while other equally well desiged studies that controlled for a series of variables claim there is no connection.

Better to be safe than sorry I suppose. Something to mention to our Doctors and let them determine if any additional testing is warranted.

Plausible. Even if it's not directly connected it could be a benign sign of a predisposition (genetic or otherwise)... that if combined with several others gave greater odds of HD. Would it be an indicator that someone should seek out extra testing? Any specific kind?

I don't seem to have it... but maybe the chain from my ear to my nose ring is pulling the crease flat? Just kidding :)

I remember when the book by two scientist was written..called Life Extension or something. it had pictures and info on this ear crease relating to heart disease deal. that was back in 1980 or early 80's. lost the book. HUGE THICK paperback.

Interesting.