A First 5k Walk-goal And Cause

mkoven

Hi,

As I've posted elsewhere, in the past year I've been lucky enough to find the right meds and rehab to be able to exercise with my ans issues and bad joints. I'm now able to walk two miles, or about forty minutes. Overall, I feel better jointwise and autonomically when I exercise than when I don't.

I think I'd like to register for my first 5k-- the Chicago conquer chiari walk on September 26. My goal is not speed, but injury-free completion. If it takes me 90 minutes, that's fine with me. It will mean slowly adding another mile to my walks over the next 6-7 weeks, keeping on top of cranky joints with braces/pt exercises/self myofascial release. If I can do this, I'll be thrilled. It would be nice to have a "normal" goal like this to look forward to. I figure it will also let me meet other people affected by chiari in person. Even if I get hurt, I'd still like to go, and bring the wheelchair.

I've been thinking of this for a little bit. Then, this past weekend my husband and I went to cheer my sister-in-law on in the Chicago half-marathon. That was pretty cool, but looking through the crown, most participants were healthy looking people in their 20s and 30s. For me, a slow 5k walk may be just as much of an accomplishment!

Good for you for undertaking such a challenging goal! I think it's terrific. I feel better when I get some exercise, too, so you work on making it happen, and we'll all be cheering you on!

Let us know how you do and good luck!

Jana

Good for you. I did a leukemia and lymphoma fund raiser 5k a few years ago--I wish I had walked only and not tried to jog. Nearly killed me--I puked at the end and then went to the hospital with a partially collapsed right lung. Extra stretchy collagen and jogging do not go well together!!!! Take it slow and easy and you will finish!!!! I'll be rooting for you.

Nina

Thanks, you guys, for the support! This forum is wonderful. I know that not many people can appreciate what a big deal this is and what a victory it will feel like. I have no illusions of speed--there will be no jogging/running. Hopefully just slow, steady, one-foot-in-front-of-the-other. And if I start to feel bad or injured (during my prep or during the event), I'll reconsider.