The Fighting Spirit

Nauthiz

Article i read, i am trying to change my mind from a victim to a fighter. Here is the article if anyone is interested. This article gives a good idea of how we can change or perspective. I know our illness is worse than some of the examples of this article, but for the most part it fits. Hope this helps the spirits of others here.

The Choice

Why is this happening to me?!! Why do I have to suffer like that? This is just more than I can bear!

Do those phrases sound familiar? Usually, people have different responses to similar problems and so, when life gives them a hard time, some may cry, others may feel helpless, some become desperate and a few may try to get a hold of themselves yet fail. Some however, choose to fight!

Your reaction to each of life's challenges depends on your choice. Whether you want to live as a victim or as a warrior is something that is completely up to you. No one can escape life's problems and no one can control everything in his life, but we can control our reactions to those problems and crises.

The Spirit of a Warrior

Basically, Warriors are people who say No.

They say no to rejection by being persistent and eventually forcing people to believe in them.

They say no to unemployment by studying harder and increasing their qualifications until they find a great job.

They say no to unexpected events by being flexible.

They say no to failure by learning from it and using it as a step on the road to success.

They say no to depression and unwanted emotions by attempting to achieve a deeper understanding of themselves until they master their emotions.

They say no to life's problems by challenging them until they are solved.

Becoming a Warrior

Now onto the practical part. How can you become a warrior? I?ve already mentioned at the beginning of the article that letting yourself be beaten up by your problems or resigning yourself to your fate is just a choice. Your subconscious mind simply scans its choices every time it faces a crisis and selects the best choice available. Thus, becoming a warrior is no more than adding a new choice in that list so that your subconscious mind can choose it. This choice is to fight on instead of giving up in the face of pressure.

The second step is working on changing your self-talk from a beaten up style to a warrior style. For example, instead of saying ?why does this always happen to me, why do I always have to be rejected? you could say ?In time, I'll make you regret rejecting me.?

The third step is to stop listening to media that victimizes you, like songs that contain phrases similar to ?I have tried so hard but life is ?bla bla? or ?wish I could be someone else?. This style of media will surely make you end up feeling helpless and desperate.

To make a long story short, warriors do have problems and troubled times, they just choose to look life straight in the eye instead of choosing to be victims.

article from http://www.2knowmyself.com/Motivation/Insp...ior_spirit_fear

I started my fight today by lifting weights. It felt good to get that fighting attitude especially while pushing up some heavy weight. I pushed myself past a point that i normally would, doing significantly more weight, and though i didn't feel great per say after it, i felt accomplished.

Thank you!

I think all that I read on hear is of folks who have a fighting spirit. Trying. Talking. Perhpas fainting..but getting up again. Most folks will never know the struggles we go thru daily but we know and we are successes.

I took an exam on Saturday morning for my masters (a state boardI have put off for years but I thought now that I am home and sitting so much..I could try to do this). I didn't even think I could sit up tht long....but I did. Someone asked me if I thoughtI passed. I said that wasn't the point. The point was that I tried. It was so hard for me to do this...but I did..

Thanks,

Erika

THAT WAS GREAT!

Erika you too!

"This Is Where I'm At"

I have a special place where i keep my motivational quotes.

my vision list.

my hopes and dreams.

I hug myself and pat myself on the back.

I light up like a Christmas Tree each time I see my kids and grand babies.

It is here I allowed to be free as a bird.

My fighting Spirit is being is also here.

Just to stand I fight.

I fight to find out how to get the things we need being disabled.

The best of my spirit has been tested over and over again.

I'm done saying, "why me?

I now say, "why not me?"

I live my live to the fullest, realizing there's a reason I'm on this path.

I don't fight the tide, I ride the waves now.

I learn something new everyday.

My life has become more enriched and I hope by what I have been through and

I will then try to enrich others.

It's been a long time now.

It's time to let go and let God~

He's in charge not me.

Blessings and love to all~

BellaMia~

Thank you!

I think all that I read on hear is of folks who have a fighting spirit. Trying. Talking. Perhpas fainting..but getting up again. Most folks will never know the struggles we go thru daily but we know and we are successes.

I took an exam on Saturday morning for my masters (a state boardI have put off for years but I thought now that I am home and sitting so much..I could try to do this). I didn't even think I could sit up tht long....but I did. Someone asked me if I thoughtI passed. I said that wasn't the point. The point was that I tried. It was so hard for me to do this...but I did..

Thanks,

Erika

WOWEEEE~YEAH!!!! I KNOW how challenging that is..are you the one with the psychology counseling degree?

You go girl!!!

Jan

Thank you...and yes, Jan, if I pass this test I will have my degree masters in counseling psych. I will have to do my internship before I can practice............ :blink: I am not sure how I will manage that but I really didn't think I could study this summer with two kids at home and POTS... , maybe someplace will let me have a lot of flex hours and only come in a couple hours a day...not sure yet..

You should have seen me in the exam...I asked to have an extra chair so I could put my feet up (you all understand!!). They told me I could lay on the couch if I needed to..I didn't... but was very happy to get home and lay down!! :(

Erika

I know where your coming from but POTS is a really nasty illness - its unpredictable and when its bad anything can set it off and its totally unpredictable. Every time i relapse I tend to start all victimy and feeling sorry for myself - which i think is natural when you feel as utterly terrible as you do with POTS (take it from me POTS is a 10 and hepatitis A was a 6 in my experience - I tell docs this so they get how nasty it feels).

But slowly as I get better and I start getting more active I regain my confidence and a bit of my strength and then I feel like I can say yes to fishing next weekend or whatever. Whereas with POTS at its worst sometimes it almost not worth doing that kind of stuff because I will barely enjoy it. :P

Its funny, when i feel well I always look back and feel annoyed with myself for wasting 9 months just feeling like crap and not still working on my music or whatever. But then when it comes on again I realise that its so life changing that the normal rules of life just dont apply and its just a matter of trying to find ways to get through it.

I have a slightly different perspective. The word "fighter" doesn't really apply to me and that may be because I'm not a male- I don't know. The word "fight" connotes to me that I need energy, and I don't have much.

I accept what is. I know I'm disabled. I know I'm unpredictable. I usually try to do whatever it is, even if I know I might feel poorly. Disabled people still have a life. Disabled is not synonymous with "dead". As long as I'm breathing, I try.

I choose with care the activities I will do. The less-important ones (to me) I don't attempt. I'm managing the time I have a lot more carefully than if I were healthy, so that I have the energy to do what is important to me.

I never pity myself or feel sorry for myself. To me, that is a big waste of energy and accomplishes nothing.

I am more compassionate towards other chronically ill people because I understand the daily trials.

BTW, to "accept was is" does not mean to me that I have lost hope. On the contrary, I am confident that as time goes on, they will know more and more about how to successfully treat me.

So, each day is a blessing and I appreciate it.

Thought I might relate how I view all this. I didn't write this to detract from what you said about "the fighting spirit". I'm happy that the philosophy of "fighting spirit" is giving you a positive outlook. That's what is needed.

• 3 weeks later...