Nausea Mediciation?

Does anyone take anything to control their nausea? It was never a chronic problem for me and the last few months it has become one of my biggest complaints. I am going to make an appointment with my pcp but I don't even know if there is a drug out there that controls nausea? I looked on line and some derivative of marijuana kept coming up but nothing else. Since I am on so many other meds I like to look up new ones before I add them to the mix so if anyone knows of any please let me know.

Nausea is my main and most persistent symptom. Anti-nausea medication really depends on what type of nausea you have. If it occurs after eating a meal as part of gastroparesis, then you want something like metoclopramide or domperidone to increase peristalsis and help it go down. If it occurs randomly as a POTS/dizziness symptom, then I find something like compazine or phenergren really helps. I get no side effects from any of the nausea medications, but some don't work. For eg, metoclopramide only works 40% of the time for me, but compazine works every time.

Janey

Sometimes my meds will make me nauseous, and I'll take a Benadryl or two to help control it. Meclizine, Dramamine, both seem to help with dizziness/nausea if you're looking for over-the-counter.

Cheers,

Jana

Nausea is main symptom. I take a combination of compazine, clonidine (at night- helps the next day's nausea), and Zofran.

The Zofran is IM (Intramuscular) injections. The pills are spendy, but the Zofran IM is given to you in vials and usually available through home health, which (at least for me) makes it much, much cheaper. You get a supply of syringes and long micro needles. You can hit it in in the hip, or right above the knee. I have alot of scar tissue there, but it is very much worth it. I am prescribed 12 mg up to 3 times per day.

I whole heartedly recommend this route if you are not helped by other means. Also, there is Marinol, the 'juana derivitive but it gave me the munchies! LOL!

Good Luck,

Kits

I have had a constant level of nausea since POTS onset 3 years ago. For me, benadryl helps quite a bit and I have some phenergan for really bad episodes. I have small bowel dysmotility, but my stomach works fine so reglan wouldn't work for me. Also be aware that reglan use for longer than 2 weeks carries a 10% risk of tardive dyskinesia.

I use ginger candy from the whole foods store and flat ginger ale.

zofran always makes me sicker so some reason, or it's the morphine

they are giving me before hand for pain.

It's hard to tell when your in pain and still sick and nothing is working.

they say the scent of fresh green apples or lemons will also help.

I wish I had just had some one to just sit by my side. My mom used to be so

good when i was a kid and I was sick all the time. She would always be there and

always hold my waist length long hair back and tell me I'd be ok. Make me tea

and toast. Cold face cloth for me head.

Blessings off to get watered for the day at the spa Bellamia~

I take tigan with no side effects. It's not very strong, though-- but I like how well I tolerate it. I try to make sure that I always have a dose in my purse just in case. REglan and compazine work for me, but they put me in a foul mood, as they suppress dopamine. I have to remind myself when I'm on them that my state of mind will pass when the drug wears off. Sometimes those seasick acupressure wristbands work for me. recently, I've posted that a lot of my nausea seems triggered by my unstable neck/head. since wearing my neck brace more and being careful with neck posture, I've dramatically reduced how often I need nausea meds. My period also seems to bring on nausea.

I take tigan with no side effects. It's not very strong, though-- but I like how well I tolerate it. I try to make sure that I always have a dose in my purse just in case. REglan and compazine work for me, but they put me in a foul mood, as they suppress dopamine. I have to remind myself when I'm on them that my state of mind will pass when the drug wears off. Sometimes those seasick acupressure wristbands work for me. recently, I've posted that a lot of my nausea seems triggered by my unstable neck/head. since wearing my neck brace more and being careful with neck posture, I've dramatically reduced how often I need nausea meds. My period also seems to bring on nausea.

Can you tell me about the nausea triggered by unstable neck/head and the neck brace? Where to get a neck brace? What kind? Why does it help? When?

you would first need to have the cause of the nausea determined. after umpteen years of intermittent nausea, my geneticist who knows I have a connective tissue disorder (ehlers-danlos), referred me to a neurosurgeon who sees a lot of folks with tissue weakness. It was discovered that I have a somewaht unstable head, neck, and that my cerebellar tonsils are sagging a little bit into the base of my skull (small chiari malformation). He tried me out in a hard neck brace to see if it relieves my symptoms, and it has really helped. my nausea has been almost gone since bracing. the thought is that my instability is causing me to compress nerves coming off my brainstem.

a neck brace would only help nausea if instability is a factor for you.

my guess is that most doctors are not well versed in these matters. I am lucky that my geneticist could see how different pieces of the puzzle fit together. I'd been to the gastroenterologist several times, had an endoscopy, and this really didn't show much. My stomach itself is not really the problem. with bracing, I've only had to take anti-nausea meds about once a week, as opposed to multiple times a day.

A person needs to be VERY careful with metoclopramide (Reglan).

The side effects an be terrible. More so than many meds. Has a black box warning. Can cause movement disorders as well as severe anxiety/depression. The onset can be sudden. I was on IV reglan for a month and became very sick from it. It made me very myoclonusy, severely sleep deprived and restless. As well it caused episodes that were likely seizures.

If you need a drug for motility issues, Domperidone has fewer side effects and IMO works better than reglan.

other antiemetics such as benedryl, phenergan and compazine, a person also needs to be cautious of if they are vulnerable to movement issues such as periodic limb movements, restless leg, anxiety etc.They are similar to Reglan in that they are dopamine antogonists, but their side effects I don't think are as bad.

I can tolerate benedryl for nausea once in a while, and do take it, but if I take it too frequently, I get insomnia, myoclonus and very irritable.

If my nausea is mild I drink chamomile w/ lavender tea, or mint tea. Ginger root is helpful for some.

For me though, I really just need to avoid my known triggers, which there are many.

Nausea is my main and most persistent symptom. Anti-nausea medication really depends on what type of nausea you have. If it occurs after eating a meal as part of gastroparesis, then you want something like metoclopramide or domperidone to increase peristalsis and help it go down. If it occurs randomly as a POTS/dizziness symptom, then I find something like compazine or phenergren really helps. I get no side effects from any of the nausea medications, but some don't work. For eg, metoclopramide only works 40% of the time for me, but compazine works every time.

Janey

Janey

Interesting about the nausea being triggered by your neck instability. I have the same.

I have often tried to describe this. Only Nazli McD understood.

I also sometimes get sloshy noise in the back of my neck.

Can you post a link to the neck brace you use?

Have you ever tried one of those cervical traction devices?

Do you get this too?

I now have an aspen vista, which is padded, adjustable, and pretty comfortable. I had a Thomson collar before, which was quite uncomfortable, but also effective. The nsg said no traction, as he feared it would stretch out my ligaments further. The first nsg was also opposed. So I'm just trying to be meticulous about posture (head over shoulders, chest out, shoulders down, move arms from shoulder blades), and if that's not enough, on goes the brace. It does help.

I now have another pt rx for my neck to work more on posture and stabilization. Just have to find a pt who won't stretch me.

Thanks. I will look into that brace.

I have not done ct, but I crave it!

RE: PT, do you have that article written by a PT on physical therapy in the EDSer?

I had to give a copy to Ava's therapists. Several of them tended to over stretch her ... they never understood what they were doing could be harmful.

I now have an aspen vista, which is padded, adjustable, and pretty comfortable. I had a Thomson collar before, which was quite uncomfortable, but also effective. The nsg said no traction, as he feared it would stretch out my ligaments further. The first nsg was also opposed. So I'm just trying to be meticulous about posture (head over shoulders, chest out, shoulders down, move arms from shoulder blades), and if that's not enough, on goes the brace. It does help.

I now have another pt rx for my neck to work more on posture and stabilization. Just have to find a pt who won't stretch me.