Do Nitrite-rich Foods Really Make Pots Worse?

hi..

dont know about the rest, but garlic make me very ill indeed.. And not only me but my mother and brother (and as fare as I know the dont have dys, but my mother has always had low bloodpressure..)..

And the sad thing is, i love garlic... And they put garlic in everything, ust like cowmilk (and a also dont tolerate)..

I try to avoid garlic and onions when I can. They do havoc with my stomach. Have you read much about the low-oxylate diet? What are your thoughts on that?

Jana

Ditto what Potsgirl said. I try to avoid onions and garlic because they are hard on my stomach (and I do not like the bad breath they cause).

But, on occasion, I'll eat something with some garlic, like in hummus, or in a hot dog (I really don't like to eat hot dogs because of all the garbage, I mean, nitrate, nitrites, whatever). I don't notice anything, but like I said, I prefer natural foods without additives.

I try to avoid garlic because eating it makes me sick. I get tachy, cold all over, shaky and my BP drops. I used to love garlic but noticed that i felt really bad every time i ate some. I dont react as bad to onions as i do to garlic. But onions hurt my stomachbig time.

carinara

I don't notice anything too bad, just some bloating of upper gut if I eat too much garlic.

I rarely eat processed meat. However, now I'm in the mood for a hot dog now that you mention it-----lol.

A hot dog with ketchup, mustard, and a small amount of vadalia onions sounds good. I'd like a chili dog, but that would really be pushing the envelope----lol.

Toledo is home of Tony Paco's. I'm sure you have heard Jamie Farr from Mash mention "Toledo", and Tony Pacos several times. Once in a while I'll have half of a Tony Paco skinless Dog with katchup. They are more like a sausage----------------really good, but high in fat.

I never thought about the garlic and onions being hihg in nitrates. I guess it's not a big deal for me.

MSG is one thing I can't tolerate well at all, and I avoid it.

http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/msgstudy.html

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/docs/item1225

It's really not good for you at all.

Maxine :0)

curious - I have low-flow pots. I just had a 1/4" slice of sweet raw onion on my sandwich tonight for dinner - because raw onions make me feel better. How does nitrate-rich foods affect nitric oxide?

I do not think that the reason I get really sick from onions has to do with its nitrate content.

There are other vegetables which I believe have greater concentrations and amounts of nitrate and I am fine with those. I imagine other people on here are fine with those other vegetables as well. (Google p. 100 of Advances in Agronomy By Arthur Geoffrey Norman).

Can you think of a different reason people with dysautonomia could have a problem with onions?

• 8 months later...

I'm reinvigorating this post because I've had a recent run-in with nitrates and am cobbling together a very wobbly theory and would love some comments/insight.

Apologies for the subject matter but I was recently dx'd with a yeast infection south of the border. It has been a disaster to say the least and I was prescribed Monistat as treatment. My boyfriend picked up Monistat 1, which is a one-day suppository and topical cream program. Aside from the agony in 'that' area, I also noticed very strange side effects: abdominal ache, headache, and blue feet.

After talking to my doctor again she said that she had wanted me to do the Monistat 7 treatment, a 7 day cream injection treatment. I did day one yesterday and am so ill today (abdominal ache, fatigue) that I am stopping treatment.

Here is where it gets interesting: Monistat medicinal action is due to miconazole nitrate cream. The miconazole is an anti-fungal agent. The cream can be absorbed by the GI track even if used vaginally. Apparently, nitrate toxicity has an oxygen component:

Nitrate toxicosis in humans occurs through enterohepatic metabolism of nitrate to ammonia, with nitrite being an intermediate[3]. Nitrites oxidize the iron atoms in hemoglobin from ferrous iron (2+) to ferric iron (3+), rendering it unable to carry oxygen[4]. This process can lead to generalized lack of oxygen in organ tissue... (Source Wikipedia)

When I think about my blue feet, it was clear as day that I was not getting enough oxygen in my extremities. Aside: I do not usually suffer from blue feet. I did more so when I was eating gluten. I have been gluten free for approximately 4 years.

This is what is said about nitrates and those who have trouble with them:

Some adults can be more susceptible to the effects of nitrate than others. The methemoglobin reductase enzyme may be under-produced or absent in certain people that have an inherited mutation[6]. Such individuals cannot break down methemoglobin as rapidly as those that do have the enzyme, leading to increased circulating levels of methemoglobin (the implication being that their blood is not as oxygen-rich). Those with insufficient stomach acid[7] (including some vegetarians and vegans) may also be at risk. It is ironic that the increased consumption of green, leafy vegetables that typically accompany these types of diets may lead to increased nitrate intake. A wide variety of medical conditions, including food allergies, asthma[8], hepatitis, and gallstones may be linked with low stomach acid; these individuals may also be highly sensitive to the effects of nitrate. (Source Wikipedia)

However back to the oxygen link, I've been working with Dr. Derrick Lonsdale, former head of Biochemical Genetics at Cleveland Clinic. He believes dysautonomia stems from an error in oxidative metabolism originating in the brain and effecting the citric acid cycle. He believes that oxygen is the spark of life and lack of oxygen in the cells is an essential component in our dysautonomia.

So the questions this experience raises for me are:

1. Those of you who have problems with garlic (I do too, incidently), do you notice blue hands, feet, or lips when you eat it?

2. Those of you who have problems with garlic, do you also have problems with other foods?

3. I am also very sensitive to barometric pressure changes and humidity and flying (all low-oxygen environments. Is anyone else?

4. Are there any other oxygen tie-ins that anyone can think of?

-Waterbaby

Wow, Waterbaby- that sounds awful. My hands and feet are frequently blue- no relationship to what I eat (that I've noticed :) .) It occurs most often if I sit or stand in one position too long AND when I'm very busy, stressed I guess. When I'm overwhelmed with too much to do, it feels like what little blood I have goes to vital organs- not enough for my fingers and toes.

I've done that same Monistat treatment you described. It was unpleasant, but I don't recall any bad side effects.

I like onions and garlic and eat them often :blink:. I actually crave Vidalia onions (a Southern treat!) I saute them in a little olive oil even in salads to sweeten and soften them up. I never equated their use to feeling better, but who knows- maybe that's why I crave them ?

Julie

For some reason, since I've been ill, I can't stand even the smell of garlic, and I've never tolerated onions well. When my boyfriend eats garlic, even a little, I can smell it wafting out his pores (if aroma can waft!). I'm extremely sensitive to it.

I actually crave raw onions a lot. I've even asked myself that question. Why do I crave raw onions. I thought maybe it was some kind of vitamin deficiency, even looked it up, but don't remember what I found. I don't know if eating them ever made me feel better or worse, so many variables with POTS. Tonight I'm going to make steak and onions. Maybe I'll see if I notice anything.

BTW no doctor has told me with any certainty which kind of POTS I have. One said definitely Hyper-POTS, another said no.

I used to have a favorite dish at a restaurant that had lots of garlic in it. I would feel terrible every time I had it. I began to think it was the garlic. Then I realized it was a pasta dish so perhaps it was the high carbs making me so ill. I never eat garlic or onions alone. Could it be what we are eating with the high nitrate foods?

As for hot dogs ----ummmmmmm!!!!! I have found one that doesn't have nitrates, it's Hebrew National. I think they taste great. If you're from Colorado. They are what the Colorado Rocky Dogs are made of (at the baseball park). Mustard, Ketchup, Dill Relish and Kraut. Now I'm hungry. Think I'll go get some. By the way, nitrates do bother me. They are really bad in wines. I've not found but a few wines that don't bother me. Grapes are real high naturally in nitrates. Dr. OZ had that grapes will cause a histimine reaction. So, maybe it is the nitrates that creates this histimine reaction and so therefore, allergies are the problem. Sounds reasonable. Right?

Not that I'm a big hot dog eater, but I'll second the opinion that Hebrew National hot dogs are the best. You can find them in any grocery store here in AZ.