Salt Tablets

Does anyone here use salt tablets? Can you please share with me the brand/type that you use, how you use them, and any positive or negative effects you have noticed? Thank you in advance!

~ Broken_Shell :)

I take 1 and 1/2 salt tablets with each meal. They are 1 gram each (so 1 and 1/2 grams per meal). I just use the normal sodium chloride tablets - they are CMC brand ordered by my pharmacist. Even with food, I can only swallow the 1/2 tab., I have to "eat" the whole tab - meaning letting it dissolve in my mouth - or I get stomach upset. As far as side effects, as my body was adjusting I had increased diarrhea, but that has subsided. The tablets have helped keep my bp up and stable, and I have felt better on them. I do not have POTS, but orthostatic intolerance/syncope.

Hope this helps!

The salt tablets that I used to take were called "slow sodium". They were very smooth round pills that tasted of nothing and were easy to swallow. They are a special slow release so the matrix of the tablet actually passes through you (looks a little like white honeycomb) and slowly lets the salt into your system. They are 600mg tablets and I used to take ten tablets at lunch time every day. Didn't cause any nausea or stomach upset.

Flop

The salt tablets that I used to take were called "slow sodium". They were very smooth round pills that tasted of nothing and were easy to swallow. They are a special slow release so the matrix of the tablet actually passes through you (looks a little like white honeycomb) and slowly lets the salt into your system. They are 600mg tablets and I used to take ten tablets at lunch time every day. Didn't cause any nausea or stomach upset.

Flop

Thanks, Flop. Did you need a prescription for these slow sodium tablets or can I get them at a pharmacy myself?

Does anyone know if you can buy slow sodium tablets in the U.S.? I can't find anything online that isn't from the U.K.

Hi Lenna, I've never tried these myself, but would they be suitable?

https://www.prohealth.com//shop/product.cfm...duct__code/MJ01

Hi,

Thanks for trying Renata, but the ThermoTabs make my son sick to his stomach! I never heard of the BioSalt Tabs but I know that Danny will not take another salt tablet unless I can assure him it won't make him sick. Has anyone tried the BioSalt Tabs?

• 5 months later...

Did you need a prescription for these slow sodium tablets or can I get them at a pharmacy myself?

So I called my Walgreens where I fill my meds and they don't carry any type of sodium tablets, prescription or OTC :) . So I called my hospital's pharmacy and the pharmacist had never heard of slow sodium tablets. She didn't have it in any of her drug lists. I told her Novartis makes them (I found that online, only it's Novartis Australia). So she gave me Novartis's patient help line. I'll call them tomorrow. So frustrating!

I haven't found any salt tablets, but today I have just picked up some electrolyte tablets from a natural health food store near me. There is 150mg of sodium, along with 25 mg of potassium, 25 mg of magnesium and 50 mg of calcium per each tablet, which it's suggest that you take 2 each a day... I'll be taking more than that, though. They fizz in your mouth over a 5 minute time period (I just kept taking sips of water whilst holding the tablet in my mouth, and swallowing when the concentration got really high). They don't taste that bad, and I think they make me feel better. I also picked up some gel electrolyte packets made by PowerBar that has 200 mg of sodium and 20 mg of potassium. Those don't taste so great (I've had 3 of the flavors so far, and can just tolerate them), but as it's a little less than 1.5 oz, I can handle that better than drinking a whole thing of Gatorade. With the other supplements, I have to drink alot of water, but I have to do that anyways, and with the extra sodium I am retaining water better. Another great thing about the tablets and the gel is that there is less calories than Gatorade (and with the tabs, it is sweetened by stevia, which I can tolerate better than other artificial sweeteners), 10 cals per the tablets and 110 cals per the gels.

What a great and timely topic!!!!

Saw the doc today and will be starting on salt tablets with midodrine. Hoping to get a good outcome. The electrolyte tablets sound great too. I hope they have them cheap at WalMart.

I am looking for a good electrolyte powder that does not have a bunch of sugar or fake sugar in it. There is one called Hydralyte, works great but is so expensive. Maybe I can find a recipe--and flavor it with powdered koolaid.

Becky

Have you tried Nuun tablets? You can find them online, or in some Sporting Goods shops (like those that specialize in running).

They come in different flavors and you drop a tab into 16 oz. of water, then let it fizz for 2 minutes, then drink it. There is 360 mg. of sodium per 16 oz - same as 2 salt tablets, I think. It's got other electrolytes as well, and NO sugar. My son likes the lemon-lime flavor.

I looked for the Nuun tablets, but I couldn't find them at two different GNC's or at the natural health food store... the closest I could find was the electrolyte tablets I mentioned in an earlier post. I am going to Knoxville today, so I'll see if I can't find them at this outdoor sporting store that caters to hikers, canoers, and other outdoor extreme sports. There is also another bigger natural health food store in Knoxville. I hope to buy them in person, as I don't like buying things over the internet, but I might do that if I can't find them there.

My doctor recommended I get the capsule making system and make my own salt capsules.

Of course I haven't done it yet. <_< I am still just literally eating salt and salty foods.

But I do have the website info for the little machine that builds the capsules. It looks pretty simple.

I think it might be advertising for them if I post it on here - so if anyone is interested - I guess y'all could messsage me?

It looks pretty easy to do - and he said some of his other patients have been using it.

have a blessed day -

Terry Lynne

Well, I spoke with someone at Novartis (I saw that Novartis Australia makes and distributes the 600mg slow sodium tablets). The representative looked everywhere in their formulary and on their website and apparently there's no way to get these tablets in the US. I was thinking they would make my life easier, not having to drink so much salt all day. I am looking forward to trying Ericka's tablets as well as Nuun, though.