Pillow And Head/neck Pain?

mkoven

For those of you with head-neck pain issues, what kind of pillow do you sleep with? As I posted elsewhere, I've been diagnosed with cranial-cervical instability, and the base of my skull/top of my neck is extremely sensitive. I need support but not pressure. I can't count the number of pillows I"ve tried (I'm a back sleeper)--usually either too much pressure or not enough support. I still feel a big crack at the base of my skull along with a headache when I move in the morning--meaning I guess that whatever I'm doing isn't quite enough? I currently use a contoured memory foam pillow, but wonder if there's something better.

I have ongoing neck pain following a car accident in 2005. It is muscluar pain rather than an instability but I like to feel as though the whole of my head and neck are supported, I can't bear having a gap under my neck.

A few months ago I found a pillow in Ikea Gosa Lilja which is soooo comfortable. It was really expensive but so good that I have bought a second one to keep in my room at my parent's house. It is designed for side sleepers (has a cut-out for your shoulder and a raised bit to fit against your neck) but I tend to roll over a lot at night and find this just as comfortable and supportive when sleeping on my back. I have previously tried Ikea's other shaped pillows but not found them comfy.

Flop

I've struggled for years trying to find a pillow that doesn't set off my head/neck pain. I got a Memory Foam pillow for back sleepers, so there's a larger swell at the bottom, a smooth area for your head, and then a smaller swell at the top. I love it, and the Macy's near me had it on sale recently for $15 down from $60.

Best,

Jana

Hi,

I also use a contoured memory foam pillow. I had to try a few different companies through before I found a good one... they all seem to have a little different contour and firmness. Good luck!

~ Broken_Shell :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I also use a contoured memory foam pillow. I had to try a few different companies through before I found a good one... they all seem to have a little different contour and firmness. Good luck!

~ Broken_Shell :)

I really like my therapeutica pillow...can find this online. It has raised sides for the side sleeper and a lower middle for back sleeping. I went thru many pillows before finding this one

just to follow up. I"ve since bought a mackenzie cervical roll that I put at the bottom of my pillow to go between shoulders and head, and I think it helps. (I can't get over how much my neck plays a role in so many of my symptoms. Not sure if it's THE smoking gun, but definitely one of them. Since my neck doesn't really hurt, I didn't make the connection. Butpoor neck/head posture brings on so many ans symptoms for me.)

Thanks for the link on the pillow Flop. :)

Currently I sleep with my SOFT cervical spine collar because my cervical cranial area slips, and I wake up with a headache.

With this pillow that you show in the link, it looks like my shoulders may do better too. I have slipping with my shoulders when I sleep on my side. It's really a struggle to sleep lately.

Maxine :0)

Maxine,

I have shoulder problems from sleeping on my side too. My shoulder is often scrunched up underneath me and most uncomfortable. I have quite broad shoulders so I actually put a thin normal pillow under the Ikea one to keep my spine in a straight line horizontally and reduce the squishing of my shoulder.

Flop

For those of you with head-neck pain issues, what kind of pillow do you sleep with? As I posted elsewhere, I've been diagnosed with cranial-cervical instability, and the base of my skull/top of my neck is extremely sensitive. I need support but not pressure. I can't count the number of pillows I"ve tried (I'm a back sleeper)--usually either too much pressure or not enough support. I still feel a big crack at the base of my skull along with a headache when I move in the morning--meaning I guess that whatever I'm doing isn't quite enough? I currently use a contoured memory foam pillow, but wonder if there's something better.

Do you mind if I ask how you got your diagnosis of c-c instability? I've been seeing a chiro for years but never been told that I have this. I'm thinking maybe they've just never put it in that exact phrase.

Maxine,

I have shoulder problems from sleeping on my side too. My shoulder is often scrunched up underneath me and most uncomfortable. I have quite broad shoulders so I actually put a thin normal pillow under the Ikea one to keep my spine in a straight line horizontally and reduce the squishing of my shoulder.

Flop

I've never met anyone else who has "the shoulder problem" before. I was told in high school, during a sports physical, that I had hyper-mobile joints and I've always thought this is why my shoulder bothers my while sleeping.

I've read a little about EDS, but I don't have the skin symptoms that go along with the hyper-mobile type.

I tried sleeping on a tempurpedic pillow last night and woke up with a screaming migraine! Never again!

Darcy,

if you have some hypermobility then it is worth getting evaluated for Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, not everyone displays all the signs. In the UK the diagnosis is made by rheumatologists but I think in the USA people usually see a geneticist for the diagnosis. It is probably worth getting checked out.

Flop

I have the same problems and it is getting worse.

Have you seen the chiari pillow?

I plan on ordering one soon.

here is a link:

http://www.medpillow.com/Merchant2/merchan...tegory_Code=MSP

I also plan on elevating the foot of my bed, though I wonder if that will cause more pooling.

MEDIFLOW Pillow. Google it. My son has cervical instability, etc and this pillow has been a godsend. It's half water and half traditional pillow. It has just enough give to cradle your neck in any position, especially on the side. I slept so well my first night with it, I slept through the alarm. It's like returning to the womb. I repeatedly purchase these pillows for my son and I.

You used to only be able to purchase these pillows with a prescription through a PT, but now they are available at retail stores like Bed bath & Beyond and maybe even J.C. Penney. Try it. You'll be hooked.

Thank, Flop!

Darcy,

if you have some hypermobility then it is worth getting evaluated for Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, not everyone displays all the signs. In the UK the diagnosis is made by rheumatologists but I think in the USA people usually see a geneticist for the diagnosis. It is probably worth getting checked out.

Flop

Thank, Flop!
Darcy,

Flop

Check out the therapeutica endorsed by the Am. Chiro Society http://www.therapeuticainc.com/#...It really is comfy b/c of the raised sides for side sleepers and the indented middle in case you roll onto your back