Stressfull Courtcase With Pots

It looks like i have to appear as a witness in a court case wich is and will be very emotional for me. The date is set at the beginning of august. All my POTS Symptoms flare up big time when iam under stress or in a stressfull situation. Iam very concerned about how i can get through this situation. First its probably going to be very hot and there is no air conditioning in the courthouse. I probably have to walk up many stairs which is a problem for me also. I dont even want to think about what will happen in case i have to stand up at some point in during the hearing. Iam really concerned about how my body will compensate all these things combined with the added emotional stress. My HR and BB get really high (HR of 200 and BB of 180/135 are possible) Please i need any advice i can get to handle this situation. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot, carinara

Hi Carinara,

first of all hugs for attempting to go through with the court case - it is a scary thing for a healthy person to do.

Does the judge and the lawyers (for whichever side you are being a witness) know about your health problems? Under disability laws they should be able to have you get into court without climbing lots of stairs or having to stand up. Perhaps borrowing / using a wheelchair would be a good idea so that you don't feel pressured into standing up.

In the UK witnesses are sometimes allowed to give evidence via a video-link. It is most often used for children giving evidence. If that was possible you could be in another building with air-conditioning and somewhere to lie down when you are not speaking. The legal team that you are giving evidence for should be able to help you get some sort of special arrangement - it is in their interest that you are able to talk to the court and come across clearly as a reliable witness. Even if they just sort out a comfy chair, footstool, fan and cold water it would help you.

Good luck,

Flop

I wish I could help but the only thing I can think of is maybe go in a wheel chair to conserve what strength you have. If there are any med's you take for anxiety take prior to going. If you don't think you can get through it have your dr write a letter stating why you can't appear in court & let the attorneys handle it from there. Best of luck.

I agree with Flop. I'm not sure what the laws are in Germany, but in the US federal buildings must have a way for disabled people to reach various floors/rooms via an elevator or ramp for those who cannot do stairs. I used a wheelchair when I had to go to court recently, and was not required to stand. Make sure those who are in charge of your testimony know what your needs are, and that they are met or you cannot be a witness. I'm sure that there are ways they can work out a reasonable plan to make you as comfortable as possible, and drink lots of water. You don't say whether you really want to testify or not, but since you are very concerned about your health in this situation, I'm sure your doctor could also write a note underlying your condition and if you can/cannot tolerate the witnessing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jana